Monday, December 8, 2014

African American Film Critics Association


Best Actor – David Oyelowo, Selma (Paramount)
Best Actress – Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Belle (Fox Searchlight)
Best Supporting Actress – Octavia Spencer, Black or White (Rela.)
Best Supporting Actor – Tyler Perry, Gone Girl (Fox) /J.K. Simmons, Whiplash (SPC)
Best World Cinema – Timbuktu (Les Films du Worso)
Breakout Performance – Tessa Thompson, Dear White People (RAtt.)
Best Director – Ava Duvernay, Selma (Paramount)
Best Screenplay – Gina Prince-Bythewood, Beyond the Lights (Rela)
Best Music – John Legend/Common, “Glory” (Selma soundtrack)
Best Ensemble – Get On Up (Universal)
Best Independent Film – Dear White People (Roadside Attractions)
Best Animation – The Boxtrolls (Focus)
Best Documentary – Life Itself (Magnolia) 

AAFCA Top Ten Films of 2014 are as follows in order of distinction: 

1. Selma
2. The Imitation Game
3. Theory of Everything
4. Birdman
5. Belle
6. Top Five
7. Unbroken
8. Dear White People
9. Get On Up
10. Black or White

Thoughts:  I just have to say, that while I know these don't matter (because, well, they don't), I do find it hilarious how insistent these awards bodies are in predicting the Oscars.  Even here, where they are dedicated to honoring African Americans in film, they still hand their Supporting Actor prize to the Oscar frontrunner, regardless of his color.  Why couldn't they just let Perry have this one?  It's the only one he'll get.

20 comments:

  1. I wouldn't necessarily say they tried to predict Oscar, since Boyhood is absent! I'm disappointed that Beyond the Lights didn't make the Top 10, especially when it won Best Screenplay. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mostly talking about the Simmons win. I mean, it makes no sense, ESPECIALLY because they tied him with Perry. It makes their process looked warped. It was like they sat there and said "We must award Simmons because he's undeniable for that Oscar...but wait, we have to give it to an African American too!!!"...because, like, there is no way that ANYONE thinks Perry is Simmons equal this year. The tie is dumb.

      Delete
  2. I've been laughing at Simmons managing to win even here for the last 5 minutes.

    And laughing through tears that Perry has one while Ros has 0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried my best! She got my Best Actress vote. :(

      Delete
    2. I love Pike...and her performance...but even if I considered her Lead (because, as you both know, I don't), Mbatha-Raw is better than she is with both of her performances this year, so I'm glad she won here.

      Richly deserved!

      Delete
    3. Shane, with you being a member(?)...could you shed some light on my assumptions in response to your first comment...like, how did that happen?

      Delete
    4. Contrary to how it appears, we are just like any other critics association. We don't seek to only honor African-American cinema. If you look at our history you'll see that's the case (Zero Dark Thirty, Ben Affleck, Jared Leto, Tree of Life etc.).

      Of course, the mission of our organization is to promote those films, so some of that factors in to the voting. There's no requirement to vote for an African-American.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for clearing that up. I have to say, I'm elated with the Gugu win here, because regardless of color, she deserves a top spot!

      Delete
    6. I certainly can't argue with that. Loved both her performances this year.

      Delete
    7. Such a remarkable breakthrough...such diverse performances...such range...I can't wait to see where she goes from here!

      Delete
  3. Oh my!!! I'm thrilled to see Gugu Mbatha-Raw in Best Actress category for Belle, LOVE LOVE her! That movie's been played many times in my house. I like David Oyelowo a lot and he's the main draw for me to see Selma, well in addition to the fact that we FINALLY get a good MLK movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for Selma based on the reactions so far. I can't wait to take it all in.

      A win for Gugu is a win for life, honestly!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting these. I know these are small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but I'm glad to see you posted them. Hell, most African Americans, myself included, have no idea when these awards are announced. Sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to make mention of all awards groups this time of year, especially in a year that produced some great African American cinema.

      Delete
  5. Haha, that Simmons tie is almost too much. Small boo for Gugu winning for Belle instead of Beyond the Lights, but I'm thrilled that she won for something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upon reflection, I think Gugu is currently my Lead Actress winner for Beyond the Lights...

      Delete
    2. Yay! The "Blackbird" karaoke scene alone almost clinches it for me. I think only Cotillard (for Two Days) or Dorval could surpass her.

      Delete
    3. I'm in that boat with you!

      Delete
  6. Belle deserves more praise than I think it is getting but I am surprised by some of their picks because I thought they would centre more on thr African American side (Birdman is there etc...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their Top Ten Films list is fine with me, considering that African American cinema, sadly, isn't bountiful with great films, but that Simmons win is such a glaring flaw here.

      Delete