Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Annie Nominees...


Alright, so these are the awards dedicated to animated films of the year, and they nominated a lot (and have a slew of categories).  I'm not going to cover them all.  I'm only going to include the categories that are going to matter with regards to Oscar predicting, but you can see all of them here.

But, let's look at the categories of interest:


Best Animated Film
Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
The Boxtrolls
Cheatin'
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The LEGO Movie
Song of the Sea
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Now, it won't show entirely here, since I'm only giving you a sample of what they nominated, but The Boxtrolls got a HUGE boost here.  They loved that movie.  I don't know what that'll mean for the rest of the year, but for now it should probably move back into my predictions, since I was cool on it's chances after seeing it.  It is beautiful to look at, and this particular category is attracted to that aspect.

But I must mention this...Penguins of Madagascar is probably the best animated film of the year, and the fact that they could pretty much nominate everything else and yet snub it is kind of ridiculous.  It may look more 'kiddie' than some of the others listed here, but it is pretty much a perfect animated film.

Animated Short Film
Coda
The Dam Keeper
Duet
Feast
Inside Homer
Me and My Mountain
The Raven
Silent

Only five of these can compete for the Oscar nom, so we can disregard Inside Homer, The Raven and Silent since they won't be happening.  Of the remaining five, I've seen Duet and Feast and both are beautiful and deserving of noms, so we'll see if Oscar agrees.

Screenplay
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The LEGO Movie
Song of the Sea

Realistically, none of these will happen, but I'd love to see The LEGO Movie nominated.

Score
Bruno Coulais & Kila/Song of the Sea
Danny Elfman/Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Joe Hisaishi/The Tale of The Princess Kaguya
John Powell & Jonsi/How to Train Your Dragon 2
Nicole Renaud/Cheatin' 

Animated films fare well in this category, but this year held no real standouts, and while there are some passionate lovers of Dragon's music, I kind of doubt it winds up cited anywhere, especially when this year has been so incredibly rich with scores.

4 comments:

  1. You were able to see some of these shorts-wow! I love those penguins but I am not into the lego movie at all nor how to train your dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care much for Dragon, but I loved LEGO and would be thrilled to see if actually win the Oscar, but I'm skeptical. I just wish that Penguins would get nominated!

      Delete
  2. The more I think about The Boxtrolls, the more I like it. Glad to see a strong showing here. I haven't seen Penguins, but I don't think it has a chance at the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Boxtrolls is happening...it is getting a LOT of love right now. Penguins is just hilarious. I hate that it has ZERO mentions so far, and will probably not get any either.

      Delete