Tuesday, December 30, 2014

And down comes the rain...


Looks like we're ending the year on a sad note, with the passing of a Hollywood legend, Louis Rainer.  Rainer died at the ripe old age of 104.  She was the oldest living Oscar winner, and the first two time Lead Actress Oscar winner.  My heart goes out to her family and friends, and to my blogging buddy Fritz, who is a big fan of her work (to the point where he grades individual acting performances of a scale of 'Louis's').  We recently discussed both of her Oscar wins on Twice a Best Actress (which will be resuming shortly).  

6 comments:

  1. At 104, two weeks shy of 105, it can hardly be called unexpected but Luise was a wonderful connection to the Golden Age of Hollywood whose memories were still vivid and that is now lost. She lived a remarkable life and that's to be celebrated. It's a shame she didn't make her 105th but happily TCM already had a schedule of her films on that day (January 12th). This makes it bittersweet but a great chance to catch much of her work all at once.

    This moves Miss de Havilland up to the front of the line as the oldest living acting winner. Fortunately she's still lucid and spry at 98.

    Looking forward to the return of Twice an Actress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to catching up on Rainer on the 12th.

      Delete
  2. We covered her just in time, and she was great in those films. I really need to catch up on more of her work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, agreed. I'll be DVRing a lot of her stuff on the 12th.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you spotlighted this terrific and under-rated actress who had the moniker of "curse" beside her name. Now the wonderful Olivia is one the last and I better not start thinking about her like I did Louise a couple of days ago. I did the same with Robin Williams as I felt he looked sad and I seemed to be the only one who watched his show. Anyway, a day or so after he passed. Kind of freaks me out. I am going to watch The Good Earth this weekend in her honour. I still have to see The Great Waltz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit. Don't think about de Havilland. I want her to stay with us as long as she can!

      Delete