Thursday, November 27, 2014

Trailer Break: Pan


So, I've been wanting to discuss this but haven't had the time, and so now I have a few minutes so let's talk.  I've been anticipating something visual here for a while, since this is probably my most anticipated film of 2015, I'm not going to lie.  Peter Pan is probably my favorite faitytale and one of my favorite books ever and Joseph Wright is one of my favorite new voices in cinema, and so his hands all over this tale made my eyes water with absolute excitement.

Yes, tears of joy were had.

So, after all the casting rumors and trash talk (multicultural means porcelain skin and different hair colors apparently), I was still really, really chomping at the bit for something to sink my eyes into and now we have it, the first trailer for Wright's Pan, due out next summer.

What do we think?

I'm kind of spellbound.  This looks like Hugo meets Oliver Twist meets Hook, and while some of it does have that cartoony feel I was hoping would be avoided (and Jackman looks a little, silly), there are some seriously gorgeous moments in that trailer, like the whole first half, and the visuals are remarkable (that floating ship, like MY GOD).  But most of all, I'm so excited to see another great child performance.  Levi Miller looks like pitch perfect casting, full of charm and charisma and undeniable talent.  He holds his own throughout that entire trailer, and while that is obviously just a snippet of a whole performance, he already has my attention.  The music choices, flash cuts and storybook aura of the trailer are really promising.  

I can't wait for this.

12 comments:

  1. For me it also looks like Hugo mixed with some other stuff but for me - it's not good. This looks like the extension of the wrong turn Wright took somewhere with Karenina. I fear it may even be worse than Soloist, Mara looks so miscast, it's not even the ethnicity thing, she just looks...lifeless and it looks like she is supposed to have romantic chemistry and that is just not going to happen with her.

    But I'm gonna see this for what's his ass from On the Road, he is seriously hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at your reason to see this!

      I'm all for giving this a shot. I love everything Wright has done sans that Soloist crap, so if this is as beautiful as Karenina and as fantastical as Hanna, this is going to be so much up my ally.

      Delete
  2. I'm mixed about it. I think Rooney is miscast as Tiger-Lily while I do like seeing Hugh Jackman. I'm just not sure about seeing it as I also don't like the visual effects as they look a bit cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought those visuals looks fantastic. The scene where Peter is kidnapped and taken to Neverland gave me chills.

      Delete
  3. I think this trailer is, quite, not convincing---frankly saying. Or perhaps, I'm allergic to the the "untold story" mentioned in the trailer.
    But, still, I'm gonna check it when it comes off soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a tad surprised they're going the untold story route, only because I think that adapting the original novel for what it is and not what Disney did would be so incredible, but I'm intrigued by where they're heading with this story.

      Delete
  4. OK I find this trailer mesmerizing. Maybe it is the dreamer in me but it seems to tell the story of how Peter became Peter Pan and this was never done as far as I know. Yes Hugh Jackman, whom I go hubba hubba over, looks a bit typical and one expects him to swivel a moustache end but this makes me truly want to see this film

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I'm with you on this...all the way!

      Delete
  5. Man, I just watched this trailer. Looks gorgeous and fun as hell. Really looking forward to this one next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! This should be a fun time at the movies, for sure.

      Delete
  6. I'm a little hesitant now. I LOVE Hugo, but I'm not sure that style will transfer well to Pan. Still, I can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get such a mix of wonderment and concern from this trailer.

      Delete