Thursday, November 6, 2014

THR Writer's Oscar Roundtable


It's that time of year for The Hollywood Reporter to host their Oscar Roundtables, and the first one up is the writers!  This is an interesting batch of writers here.  

First time feature screenwriter Graham Moore (The Imitation Game) and Anthony McCarten (The Theory of Everything) make sense in a big way, since their movies are going to be on Oscar's radar for sure, but there were a lot of ways this could have gone and didn't in the construction of this panel.  Flynn is a welcome inclusion, especially since her script is my favorite this year (and I have a feeling she'll be an Oscar nominee for Gone Girl) and Nolan makes sense considering that his contribution to his brother's films is just as important as Christopher's direction, really.  But...Chris Rock and Jon Favreau seem like odd choices.  Considering that I just watched Chef today and found my only real issue in the script itself, I must say that I was a little baffled by Favreau's inclusion, but he was my absolute favorite part of this roundtable.  He is incredibly insightful and has such a distinct and knowledgeable opinion of his craft.  I just wish that he would make a truly great movie.

Overall, this was interesting.  Rock tries really hard, but he's saved by his chemistry with Favreau.  McCarten says nearly nothing and for long stretches I forgot that he was even there.  Flynn holds her own really well and maintains her composure when Nolan starts talking about the difference in the way men and women approach a story (I was cringing for how uncomfortable that could have become).  Speaking of Nolan, I found it hilarious the amount of times he got cut off.  I felt for poor Graham, who really seemed out of his depth.  He had some great points, but his greenness showed and he just felt so damn nervous.

Alas, this is a pretty great watch.  I can't wait for the rest of them!

4 comments:

  1. When I get a chance I will try to watch this. I always enjoy a round table event. One can see a lot of insightful things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never had the chance to watch all of them in a year, so I'm planning on doing that this year.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I still need to catch a few of these from last year. I love Swingers, so I'd say Favreau has written at least one great film. Still, he could direct something even better one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ef last year, just start a fresh and watch these!

      Delete