Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The 1998 Lead Acting Fisti Nominees!

"I heard they nominated BOTH of us!!!"
Yeah, I just buckled and got these done!  I wanted to post these before time got away from me, and work has been so crazy hectic and so unpredictably so that I knew if I didn't take advantage of a few minutes of silence that it would be a week or two before I got these out.  So...let's talk Fisti noms!

Of Oscar's ten lead nominees, I personally nominate six, three in each category.  All in all, Oscar did rather well with their nominees, even if I didn't care much for the outcomes of their evening (especially in Lead Actor).  I don't want this to be a complete Paltrow discussion, but can we at least clear the air about the ridiculous loathing surrounding her Oscar win.  Like, I get it...Blanchett is an acting genius and is beloved by many and Paltrow has taken the promise of her career and disregarded it for a life of snobbery and child rearing, but her year back in 1998 was just remarkable!

She's not my winner, but her win was deserved.

Well, let's look at the ballots:



So, like we discussed in the Supporting post, Caine got a category boost and winds up in Leading for a performance that could have probably gone either way, to be honest.  This category is probably the strongest of all the acting categories, with a number of also-rans that deserve recognition as well.  To think that that awful performance won the Oscar in the same year that so many of these rich performances were delivered...and some even nominated!  Norton, though, is in another league.


Yup, I embrace Paltrow TWICE and Lohan is a Fisti nominee!  How about that!  This was kind of a wasteland all in all, which is sad since I think all five of my nominees are outstanding, but filling in my complete Top Twelve was really hard...and most of the foreign performances that got raves in 1998 are not available to me here.

So, what are your thoughts?  Was Paltrow the queen of 1998?  Do you hate that I love me some Lohan?  Did I snub The Dude?  Who do you nominate?  The floor is all yours!

8 comments:

  1. No Scarlett for The Horse Whisperer? You make me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her, but not everyone can be nominated for everything. Scarlett is a four, soon to be five time Fisti nominee and has one (two, since it was a double) win. She's beloved here, believe me.

      Delete
  2. I think it is fine that Paltrow is in there and she deserves to be in the noms but I would have wanted Cate Blanchett to win. people love to hate and have very short memories. Most people, kids, think old movies were made in 2005 so what does that say? Ian McKellen was my fav to win but I like Roberto even though he needed some valium. I would have also had Robin Williams up there for "What Dreams May Come". I thought he pulled off an amazing performance in a film with a major theme as death, rebirth, heaven and hell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All your talk about how great What Dreams May Come is makes me really want to see it, and I've never really been all that keen too.

      Delete
  3. Yay! You went for Lohan! She just missed a CinSpec nod, as did Paltrow (for SIL). I really need to see Sliding Doors though.

    We're 6/10, which is awesome, since we're all over the place sometimes. Norton is my winner too, and Montenegro is my runner-up behind Blanchett. I've got Tom Hanks and Bill Paxton instead of Caine and Carrey, and Jane Horrocks and Katrin Cartlidge (for Claire Dolan) instead of Lohan and Paltrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I had got my hands on Claire Dolan, but I just couldn't find it. I hated Horrocks. LOL...I really only loved Caine out of that whole film.

      See Sliding Doors before you make images!!!

      Delete
    2. Ha, Horrocks is my #5 right now. I'll see Sliding Doors beforehand, but I CAN add films that are new to me after I've made images. I just can't make changes involving films I've seen already once the images are up. ;)

      Delete
    3. I just want Paltrow to get that nom!

      Delete