Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Let's talk the Supporting Fisti nominees of 1998!

"Get your hands off my Fisti Award!"

Things are slowly coming together for the publication of the 1998 Fisti Awards.  I don't know why, but I've just been so busy and slow moving on these, despite the fact that they are wrapped up (all films have been seen and all ballots are finalized).  So, moving on, let's talk about the Supporting Roles.  These are two of my favorite Supporting ballots of the 90's and two of my favorite wins in the complete Fisti Awards database so far.  There was such range this year and so many wonderful ensembles that finalizing these ballots were difficult.  I also ran into a lot of category confusion (is it a pure ensemble?  are they all supporting?  is this category fraud?) and I wound up making some last minute judgement calls and category shifts to finalize these ballots.

They are posted on the Awards Page, but let's post them here too and talk about them for a minute.



I absolutely LOVE Joan Allen, but this is her crowning moment in cinema.  It's a perfect performance because it really finds so many layers of depth in such subtle inflections.  I had so many changes in this ballot though.  Moore and Collette were in my top five for a LONG time, and there was a spell where Collette was my winner, but then I saw some things, in particular The Last Days of Disco, and things changed.  I did consider placing Sevigny here, for The Last Days of Disco, and she was in my top five (and my runner-up) but I ultimately placed her in Leading to make room for Campbell, who really deserved this nomination.


About six months ago my ballot consisted of Michael Caine, Steven Dorff, Bill Murray, Billy Bob Thornton and Tom Wilkinson and I was completely in love with it.  Michael Caine was my hands down winner for an astonishing performance in an otherwise mediocre film (Little Voice) and quite frankly was the winner for that final song, which is still my favorite 'moment' of acting in the whole of 1998.  But then I saw two films and they changed everything.  Happiness and The Celebration are such astonishing ensembles with such depth that I found myself in a complete conundrum.  I wound up weeding out and coming up with six performances I just could not snub...but thankfully Caine was borderline Lead and so with a small bump, I didn't need to snub him at all!

I'll have the Lead categories up later, maybe this week, maybe not.  I'll be trying.  Until then, dish on these nominees/performances and the ones you love/hate, the ones I snubbed, what you think of Oscar's ballots (as you can see, I preferred other members of the same ensembles that Oscar actually nominated), and while Paltrow missed my Supporting ballot, we can talk about how incredible 1998 was for her...or we can save that discussion for her DOUBLE NOMINATION in Lead.

Oh yes, I went there.

14 comments:

  1. Yes to Dylan Baker! I just watched that film a few days ago, he gave a very good (and brave) performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT! That performance is so intensely committed, and it could have been so hard to watch (it was, but not in a bad way). Honestly, he won this for the scene where he confesses everything to his son...the blunt honesty...that part of his soul you see dying when he fully admits that he's a monster...I mean, he's disgusting and yet my heart sort of hurt for him...just a little.

      He effing nailed this!

      Delete
  2. Joan Allen is great in Pleasantville! I'm embarassed to admit that I haven't seen any of your other nominees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving all the Joan Allen appreciation going on here! It's such a marvelous performance. I hope you get a chance to check out these other performances too!

      Delete
  3. Joan Allen was robbed! Big Time and I agree with your assessment. I love Judi Dench but she should not have won. i watched Primary Colors a few years ago and I remember Emma Thompson quite well but had to remember Kathy Bates. I think that says something and I don't mean that Kathy Bates was not good but Emma took it for me. A Simple Plan was one screwed up film but it stayed with me but that is not due to the acting but the screenplay for me. I still felt Michael Caine did a great job in Little Voice and it is a film I like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, another Thompson fan. She really was the heart of Primary Colors.

      And no worries, Caine gets a nom ;-)

      Delete
  4. Joan Allen was undeniably great in Pleasantville, but there's another 1998 Supporting Actress contender that a lot of people forget about - Laura Linney in the Truman Show. To quote my comment on AwardsCircuit, "It's funny, because when people think of the performances in this film, they think of Carrey or Harris, but Linney has a lot more to her role than you might think. She's not a worried housewife, she's a big-league Hollywood actress PLAYING a worried housewife. In every moment, we can see Actress Hannah Gill trying to decide what's the best route for her character, while at the same time, playing the housewife well enough so that you'd believe she'd be cast on the show. It's a performance within a performance."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Truman Show (and I'm sure you saw when I did my Best Picture post a few weeks ago), but it was always about Jim Carrey for me. I never really thought much of Harris, like at all (he's not bad, but he does nothing of note) and I guess I'm one of the many who forget about Linney, despite her being very good.

      Now I feel like I need to rewatch the movie.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE that Thomas Bo Larson is a two-time Fisti nominee! I can't believe I left him out. I think I'll add him and take Nolte out, since I nominate him for Affliction anyway. That makes my lineup: Bo Larson, Haw, Hoffman, Koteas and Thornton.

    Oh, HOW did I forget Joan Allen?! Adding her, so that makes mine: Allen, Bancroft, Campbell, Dench and Tomei.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were really sold on those Thin Red Line supporting players, huh. I was really only taken with Penn, which is shocking considering how little I tend to like him. But yes, Bo Larson being a two time Fisti nominee makes me smile inside too!

      And he owes it all to you!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Nolte and Penn are just outside of my lineup now.

      Glad I could indirectly get Bo Larsen two nominations! And I'm stoked that I added him in '98 before I made images. Otherwise, he'd be permanently shut out!

      Delete
    3. I'm planning on doing a Fisti Awards project after Oscar season...I need to redo the way I present these. I don't like have the entire decade on a single page because I feel like it makes it hard for people to really look through them. I'm inspired by your page of links, so I think I'm going to do something like that.

      But that'll be a few months from now.

      Delete
    4. You'll hear about it soon.

      Delete