Thursday, November 13, 2014

It's Blogger Appreciation Day


So, I've been mulling this over for a while now.  I've talked before about how blogging really is a group effort and how, without each others support, our blogs just wouldn't exist.  We feed off the response we get from other bloggers.  I've seen many fledgling bloggers start up their own spaces for spouting their opinions only to have them give up a few months in due to the lack of comments from other bloggers.  It's a real shame.  Since A Fistful of Films was started, back in 2011, I've been fortunate to see it grow to the point where I have a steady flow of visitors and comments.  Sure, it isn't where I'd like it to be, and there are days where the lack of comments depresses me, but I'm in a lot better shape than I was four years ago.

The reason that this blog is still around is because of you, and so today I wanted to thank you and tell you all that I appreciate you.  Now, rambling off a list of blogs that I visit or that visit me could take forever and it could be tedious, so I have a contained list of fellow blogs that I'm going to make special mention of, for special reasons, and I really beg you to take a gander at the list and visit these blogs because they work hard and deserve your attention.  

I can't tell you how much it hurts to invest in visiting other blogs, leaving comments, lending support and encouragement only to have those bloggers NEVER visit you back, never leave you a comment and basically forget you exist, even when you spend day after day trying to build a blogging relationship with them.

I know of few of those, and I have eventually stopped stopping by.

So, without further ado, I implore you to take a look at the list of incredible blogging voices I have listed below:


First I wanted to start with a few blogs that I'm currently discovering and who have made themselves a real presence here on the blog.  Jenna and Allie over at Flick Chicks have a real unique movie blog that I have come to adore.  They are two besties who love to talk about ALL KINDS of movies, and they do it in this really cool way, where they each bounce their own opinions off of each other and off of us.  I've discovered so many hidden gems through their site, learned some interesting trivia in their monthly wrap ups and grown to love the way the prove that differing opinions really are a treasure.  Wendell Ottley, over at Dell on Movies, has become a friend of the blog thanks to a blogathon he did a few months back that I got wind of through a mutual fellow blogger.  I checked out his site, fell in love with it, and we've been blogging buddies ever since.  He's got such insightful opinions, and his knack for putting together a great blogathon makes following him a must!  Speaking of awesome blogathons, John Hitchcock over at Hitchcock's World churns them out like butter!  What I love most about my blogging relationship with John is that we don't always see eye to eye about film, but we can respect and honor each other's viewpoints, and that to me is the real reason this blogging community is so special.

I also want to give a special shout out to Birgit over at BB Creations.  She has become a real presence here on the blog, commenting on all of my posts, and it is visitors like her that help keep me inspired to keep blogging.

Next, I want to give thanks to a group of bloggers who have lent me a LOT of support over the years, and continue to do so.

Steven over at Surrender to the Void is one of the most spirited and opinionated bloggers working right now, and his constant barrage of detailed and informative reviews are unlike any that I've seen on the web.  He dissects everything there is to know about the production of these films and sheds light on who's working in front and behind the camera, which is something that more of us could learn from.  He's also one of my favorite visitors, because he never filters himself, and I like someone who is willing to ALWAYS speak their mind.  Ruth at Flixchatter is full of goodies, from her Five for the Fifth monthly post to her constant visits to local Film Festivals to her guest posts and love of all things British (or at least those British leading men).  She's such a lovely blogger and a visitor I always enjoy seeing show up.  And then there is Brittini from Rambling Film.  One of my favorite things about Britt is how she highlights such hidden gems on her blog, finding films that no one has heard of and giving them a voice, and she's also probably my favorite person to follow on Twitter right now!

Moving on, I'm going to talk about a special group of people who have lent me some serious support in a very different way.  I'm talking about the ever growing 'Twice a Best...' panel.  I've hosted two of these Roundtables (well, we're currently still in the middle of the second one) and without the wonderful opinions of these fellow bloggers, this Roundtable wouldn't be what it is.  Andrew, over at The Film's the Thing has some of the most cutting, honest and thought provoking opinions on the web, and while he doesn't have the time to blog as much as I wish he would, I thoroughly enjoy getting his emails every Thursday night!  Mario, at Two Dollar Cinema, is my homie.  Like, I seriously think we were separated at birth, and I hate the fact that we don't live near one another, but every time I'm watching some brainless action flick with my bestie, I drink an extra beer in his honor.  His reviews of great and shitty movies are so much fun, and his writing style is all his own.  I really wish that Fritz would post more on his site, Fritz and the Oscars!  He hasn't posted anything since June, but his site is so full of goodies that it's a great place to dig.  He's analysed so many Best Actress races already that his thoughts on our 'Twice a Best Actress' panel are incredible.  Oh Sati, what can I say about Sati other than the fact that I absolutely love her passion and her blog, Cinematic Corner.  Her hatred of all things Jennifer Lawrence and love of all things Stephen Dillane make for some really fun reading.  There is no one in the blogosphere quite like her.  Shane Slater over at Film Actually is one of those bloggers who reviews all these movies I've never heard of and makes me so happy to know that there are bloggers out there ready and willing to shed light on films we really need to see.  Kevin is a new blogger to me.  I met Kevin through his comments on the 'Twice a Best Actor' posts, and I then asked him to be a part of our 'Twice a Best Actress' panel, and I'm so happy that I did.  He's presents such a fresh look at these performances, since he's green to most of them, and that adds so much color to the panel.  His blog, Speaks in Movie Lines, is also really great.  His reviews are astute and his take down of themes is so inspired.  And then we have Alex.  His blog, And So It Begins, is just effing incredible.  From his continuously inspired Top Tens to his actor spotlights to his dissection of directors, he has probably the most prolific film blog I currently follow and is one of my favorite voices on film right now.

Lastly, I want to give a special shout out to two specific bloggers.  First, I want to thank Nathaniel Rogers for having an incredible blog.  The Film Experience was the film film blog I ever visited, and his prolific take on film, awards and the progression of awards season, not to mention his many series, guest posts and personal awards (yes, it was his Film Bitch Awards that inspired me to create The Fistis) moved me to create my own blogging space.  Nathaniel never comes over here.  I'm not even sure he knows I really exist (he's commented here twice I think, when I participated on his Hit Me With Your Best Shot series), but it is because of him that I started blogging in the first place.

Second, and honestly even MORE importantly, I want to thank Josh over at The Cinematic Spectacle.  Back when I was starting out, I had no one to come visit my blog.  I tried to lure in visitors, but no one came.  Occasionally I'd get a random comment from someone who never came back, and so I was honestly discouraged and was ignoring the blog, maybe posting once a month.  Then Josh came along, told me he loved my blog and started commenting on everything.  For the past two years, he's commented on EVERY SINGLE POST.  He's joined me in blogging projects, he's pimped my blog on his blog, he's supported me in everything and he's become my closest blogging friend.  His blog is amazing, his Oscar thoughts are superior to all, and his reviews are concise and direct.  It doesn't hurt that his CinSpec Awards are my second favorite awards doled out anywhere (the first OBVIOUSLY being my own).  He's just a great blogger and a great person, and it is really due to him that this blog stuck around and has become what it has become.

So there you have it.  I'm done being all sentimental and all that jazz.  If I've missed your blog in my shout out or you feel as though you were snubbed, know that I'm sorry.  I love so many blogs, but I really wanted to highlight those who have made ME feel special, because this is obviously all about me (you know, since it's my blog).  And to the rest of you...VISIT THESE BLOGS!  COMMENT ON THEIR POSTS!  LET THEM KNOW THEY ARE DOING A GOOD JOB!  They deserve it, you deserve it, and if you have a blog and you've been lurking...MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN!  COMMENT!  Then I'll know you exist, and I can check you out and comment as well.

40 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the mention. That's a lot of bloggers you have listed and you're right, there is a community of sorts that forms from people supporting each other. Part of the fun in running blogathons is that it gives people a chance to collaborate in interesting ways and it is a really good way of opening yourself up to new readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've found that participating in blogathons is a great way to find new bloggers and to be found by other bloggers. I do thank you for all the support you lend, and I hope to lend you the same support as well!

      Delete
  2. I love this post! It's so true about the blogging community. We definitely need each other. I remember being so excited when I first got comments, then when I got comments from the same person more than once. I sound so easy to please.

    Thank you for the shout out, I can't tell you how much I love you and your blog. You are funny and sweet and understand my morbid fascination with the Duggars and don't judge me when I make fun of them all the time. You rock, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the Duggars! I was going to mention our mutual love of hating them! You are amazing Britt. Thanks again for being my blogging friend :-)

      Delete
  3. thanks - that's very nice of you. I didn't know there was a day for appreciating bloggers ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That day is today! You are an incredible blogger Nate, I mean that. Keep up the great work.

      Delete
  4. Although I have commented here once or twice in the past I'm more of a lurker, after reading this post hopefully that will change in the coming months, time permitting.
    You're right that comments are the icing on the blogging cake, I know I cherish every comment I receive and I still get a buzz every time the little notification button lights up. Hopefully that will continue for a while yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and to comment. I'll be sure to check out your blog ASAP! I was a lurker (and, to a degree still am at times), but once you open yourself up to making your voice heard, you'll love the reception you get.

      Delete
  5. This is so very kind of you to give me a shout out. It's funny how one finds blogs. I joined the A to Z challenge through Alex J Cavanaugh. I found Kevyn Knox who showed me Hitchcock's world who brought me to you! I enjoy reading your blog and everything movies/film related. I will check the others as well. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how that works. I'm so glad you found my blog and that you enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. I hear you on people who don't comment back and I'm probably one of those offenders. It's easy at a certain point where blogger loses focus on the bigger community and spends too much time on creating their own content and not seeking out others' content. I know I wish I had more time to check out new sites and read more of who I already follow but it's always good to share the love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I hear you, and I feel so bad because I actually check out your blog a lot, but I rarely comment because I'm not as versed in the films you watch and so I feel like I have nothing to say half the time...but I should just say something!

      Delete
  7. [in outraged Rachel voice when she overhears Joey's fake acceptance speech] I'M ELEVENTH?!

    No, no, thanks so much. Yeah there is no one quite as batshit insane in the blogosphere like me. Who in their right mind stays up all night to watch GoT just to bitch about it or spends most of the evening spreading shirtless Ruffalo gifsets on tumblr? No one, because I'm not in the right mind.

    The lack of commenting back is honestly just the worst. Yeah, sure in ideal world we would comment without hoping to get anything back, but a. this is a community b. I have about an hour a day to read the blogs, of course I'm gonna read the ones of people who actually give a crap first. Everyone's busy but this is the question of simple etiquette, I may sound selfish but hell, if i have the time to drop by once a week, others should too.

    And lord there is so many things worse than JLaw! Dunham, Von Trier, the soul sucking injustice of Begin Again ending, the fact that right now I do not have Ruffalo or Dillane inside me, my work, the place I work at, the people I work with....JLaw is not even in top 5 as awful as she is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever change, I'll stop following you.

      Delete
  8. Cheers Drew!! Thanks so much for including me here my friend. Your blog is awesome, I love how you manage to do a publish stuff daily, sometimes twice a day, and I love the personal angle of each of your post! Keep up the great work, and thanks for all your support on my blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. I'm glad that we've gotten to be such a big part of each other's blogs over the past two years. It really wouldn't be the same without such a loving community.

      Delete
  9. This is such a nice post. It's really nice when a blogger stops to appreciate other blogs. I'm often saying how not enough bloggers support one another -- too many just write our own posts and fail to visit other sites. I have a steady blog roll of writers I am always keeping tabs on for content and voice, and it actually some of my posts. Though, sadly, this is not often reciprocated. Anyway, thanks for sharing and it's wonderful to hear you've got such great support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! Yours is a blog I really mean to check out more often, but time gets away from me at times. I to intend to make it a point to visit more often :-D

      Delete
  10. Thanks. I don't need a filter. Besides, I get very angry if I get censored or suppressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the love, man. I've really tried to get my blog going this year. I started it quite awhile ago. I teach full time, so it's hard to keep up with reading and commenting. I am making more of an effort now though. Perks do being a teacher: I do get breaks. So I'll be catching up on my blog reading and commenting. Hoping to pick up some regular readers and commenters. Still a work in progress. Thanks for welcoming me into your community of great bloggers.

    - Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You deserve it, man, and if I can steer some readers your way, I'm really glad to do it. I'm really happy you're a part of this roundtable, because you have a real distinct POV and it adds so much to the discussion. I can't wait to see how your blog grows.

      Delete
  12. thanks so much for this, drew! love being apart of the "Twice a Best..." series! i don't always have as much time as i'd like to devote to writing and you and the series really help me. i really appreciate all the comments and encouragement you've given me over the past year! thank YOU, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the kind words Andrew! I really appreciate all your support on my site as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post! Thanks so much for the.shout out. I'm glad we discovered each other through that Blogathon. I love visiting your site and even take lots of inspiration from the things you're doing. Hell, I've even blatantly ripped you off at least once. But hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...I'm rambling now. Anyhoo, thanks for supporting my blog, running a great one yourself, and introducing me to other wonderful blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you can blatantly rip me off anytime you want!

      Delete
  15. Nice acknowledgement. I don't have a blog but it's great that you point out the ones that have been the most receptive to you.

    I'm glad you mentioned something about responding to comments. Which you do and is appreciated. Nothing makes me abandon a site faster than non-response. It's not as if I expect an immediate response to a comment, or a response to every single comment I make. People are busy I know so a couple of days to reply isn't surprising. However if I take the time to read what's written and am interested enough to comment but there is consistently no response I assume the person is writing solely for themselves, are not keen to be involved in a discourse so why should I bother and move on to sites that engage in an exchange of ideas and opinions.

    This post has also given me a bunch of new blogs to check out! That is how I usually find new ones, though blogs I already enjoy. So thanks! As a matter of fact I found The Cinematic Spectacle, which I really like-particularly the CinSpec Awards, through this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joel, I love that you come by here to comment on our Twice a Best...posts. The reason I started that series was to reach out and gather the opinions of everyone out there, and the fact that you have come by and made it a point to check in every week makes me really happy. I wish that you have a blog, because I would have mentioned you in a heartbeat.

      And I'm glad that you stick around. I value all of my comments. I don't write solely for me. Sure, this started as a place to rest my opinions, but what use is an opinion if you can't share it.

      I don't follow the philosophy that your opinions should be kept to yourself ;-)

      Delete
  16. Dude, we'd totally be friends. No doubt in my mind.

    Great post, man. I love this community so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, shucks man. Thanks so much! I'm just glad to be along for the ride. Love everything that goes on in this space, and I'm thrilled that your blog continues to grow. Keep up the awesome work!

    Your commenting remarks remind me of the sad truth that the CinSpecs have put me weeks behind in several of the blogs I follow. I'm still slowly catching up, and I think I'm down to 7 left. (I'm hoping to knock a few of them out this weekend.) Ugh, once I catch up I'm making a point to keep up, even if my blog suffers from it. I feel so bad that I got this behind. Like you said, it's a community, and I love being a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my post was not intended to make anyone feel bad...I wanted to make all of you smile!

      Know that when you are away, your presence is missed. I get excited when I see that I have a comment on every one of my posts from the week, because that means you stopped by!

      Delete
    2. No worries, my friend. Your post DID make me smile, as did your lovely reply. :)

      Delete
  18. Thanks a lot for the mention! :)

    I also wish that I would write more but I have discovered a while ago that constantly thinking "oh man, I need to blog" somehow completely took all my energy away. And since my job makes my life so stressful, I decided to spot this additional stress for a while. At the moment, I focus on simply doing my Best Actress ranking again and maybe someday I will start to blog again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that your inclusion on the Twice a Best Actress panel will reinvigorate your love of blogging, because I want to read stuff from you every week! You have such an insightful voice.

      Delete
  19. Dude, you are just the coolest. You made mine and Jenna's day this morning and I haven't stopped telling people about your kind words. It's the people that you make relationships with through blogging that make it so fun, and it's such a relief to hear that long established bloggers like you suffer the same difficulties as us newbies do.
    Keep being awesome Fisti!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you guys! It really is true, it's these blogging relationships that matter the most, and I'm really happy that we have one. You do likewise and keep being awesome :-)

      Delete