Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Independent Spirit Award Nominations...


So, I picked up a second job a few weeks ago, which is only supposed to take up 3 days out of my schedule, but between training and the upcoming holiday and the fact that everyone else decided to take vacation at the same time...I've been swamped and working like a dog.  I have no time to sit at the computer anymore and so my blog is sorely lacking.

I mean, I didn't even get to post these when they went live...I didn't even KNOW they went live until last night.

Like, WHAT THE HELL!?!?!

Anyways, before I'm off to work...AGAIN, I'm going to post these for discussion.  Please don't feel I'm neglecting your comments.  I just don't have the time, ATM, to respond in a manner that I feel is appropriate.  This grind will be over next week, so hopefully Tuesday things will simmer down some.

So...here are the noms.



Best Feature:
Birdman
Boyhood
Love is Strange
Selma
Whiplash

Director:
Chazelle/Whiplash
DuVernay/Selma
Inarritu/Birdman
Linklater/Boyhood
Zellner/Kumiko, Treasure Hunter

Screenplay:
Big Eyes
A Most Violent Year
Nighcrawler
Only Lovers Left Alive
Love is Strange

First Feature:
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Dear White People
Nightcrawler
Obvious Child
She's Lost Control

First Screenplay:
Appropriate Behavior
Dear White People
Little Accidents
The One I Love
She's Lost Control

John Cassavetes Award:
Blue Ruin
It Felt Like Love
Land Ho!
Man From Reno
Test

Female Lead:
Cotillard/The Immigrant
Kikuchi/Kumino, Treasure Hunter
Moore/Still Alice
Slate/Obvious Child
Swinton/Only Lovers Left Alive

Male Lead:
Benjamin/Jimi: All is By My Side
Gyllenhaal/Nightcrawler
Keaton/Birdman
Lithgow/Love is Strange
Oyelowo/Selma

Supporting Female:
Arquette/Boyhood
Chastain/A Most Violent Year
Ejogo/Selma
Suarez Paz/Stand Clear of the Closing Doors
Stone/Birdman

Supporting Male:
Ahmed/Nightcrawler
Hawke/Boyhood
Molina/Love is Strange
Norton/Birdman
Simmons/Whiplash

Cinematography:
Birdman
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
The Immigrant
It Felt Like Love
Selma

Editing:
Boyhood
The Guest
A Most Violent Year
Nightcrawler
Whiplash

Documentary:
20,000 Days on Earth
CITIZENFOUR
Stray Dog
The Salt of the Earth
Virunga

International Film:
Force Majeure
Ida
Leviathan
Mommy
Norte, the End of History

Robert Altman Award:
Inherent Vice

Special Distinction Award:
Foxcatcher

So, the biggest thing to take from this (which you may or may not take from this) is that despite being eligible, having massive Oscar buzz and having Harvey in it's corner, The Imitation Game didn't manage a single nomination here...NOT ONE!!!  This could mean nothing in the long run (I still predict that Oscar will bite in a big way), but between this and missing out at the BIFA's, where it seemed like a shoo-in for far more than it got, it feels like this assumed pony may have a weak leg.

10 comments:

  1. I know Foxcatcher was not eligible here - what exactly did cost 20 millions? restitution for Ruffy fangirls for the lack of curls? Cause there isn't enough money in the world - but I'm loving all those special awards it's like 'you guys are so awesome we have to come up with something to worship you'.

    But where the eff is Begin Again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really shocked to see Begin Again snubbed here, but especially The Imitation Game. It kind of makes zero sense.

      I LOVE all of the Foxcatcher special mentions.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for putting this together! The films that usually interest me at the spirit awards are the ones which are not mentioned during the oscars. That was how I discovered indie gem The Color Wheel , and this year includes A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night which I've heard good things about. For a first feature, Nightcrawler is an admirable effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm always drawn to The Spirits because they highlight films that no one else does, so it's a nice change of pace.

      Delete
  3. This is the 3rd time I am trying to leave a message here:) I don't know what happened before. Anyhoo I think Birdman will be in the Oscars for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should just spam Google these comment leaving issues are so awful lately. Anyone knows what the hell is going on?

      Delete
    2. I didn't know anyone was having issues commenting! Sorry Birgit! Spamming Google commence!

      Delete
  4. I'm all about the Birdman and Boyhood love! I joined Film Independent this year, so I'm hoping to get some good screeners in a few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the deadline to vote in this year's awards is up, but anyone can join. I almost joined last year, so I thought I'd give it a try now.

      Delete