Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Animated Oscar Prospects Emerge...


So, we officially have 20 animated films submitted to Oscar this year, which means that we will have five nominees!  I really wish that this kind of thing would happen in years where the pool is deep with really deserving films.  

But alas, here we have the list:



Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
The Boxtrolls
Cheatin’
Giovanni’s Island
Henry & Me
The Hero of Color City
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart
Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return
The Lego Movie
Minuscule – Valley of the Lost Ants
Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Penguins of Madagascar
The Pirate Fairy
Planes: Fire & Rescue
Rio 2
Rocks in My Pockets
Song of the Sea
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

We can pretty much eliminate like all of this list already, so predicting the final 5-7 is pretty simple.

But there is more!  The shortlist for Oscar's Animated Short Film has been released!

The Bigger Picture
Coda
The Dam Keeper
Duet
Feast 
Footprints
Me and My Moulton
The Numberlys
A Single Life
Symphony No. 42

Of these, the only one that I've found available is Duet, which is stunning.  Beautifully animated, swift and to the narrative point, but it lingers thanks to the beautiful message, delicate scoring and powerfully subtle artwork.  If the rest on this list are half as good, it's going to be a great Oscar race!

8 comments:

  1. I am at work)shhh) so i have to watch this tonight. I end up watching some shorts on youtube which happens after the Oscars to get the full film. Most only have snippets. I know How to Train Your Dragon and the lego Brick movie will be up and probably Rio 2. I often think it boils down to money and the studio's ability to woo the people who vote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a lot to do with money and marketing, but it also has to do with prestige and connections.

      Delete
    2. Oh I agree with you 100%-very true. I watched the short and it is so pretty but I didn't want it to end. I was thinking we will see them marry, have children, grow old and finally leave this world to the stars...oh well:) It is good that it left me wanting more

      Delete
    3. It's brevity is what makes it so touching, to me. It doesn't go all the way there, but I think that was a purposeful touch to make it slightly more impactful. It leaves us with this air of wanting more, but in a good way.

      Delete
  2. Oooh that's an awesome gif! I included this on my Five for the Fifth, I'm definitely rooting for Lego Movie & Big Hero 6, w/ HTTYD 2 rounding up my top 3. I LOVE that big marshmallow robot Baymax in Big Hero 6, it's simply adorable! That Duet short film is awesome indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm really excited for Big Hero 6 this weekend!

      Delete
  3. I really hope that both The Book of Life and The Boxtrolls make the final 5. The animation is fantastic in those, even if I want The LEGO Movie to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing Big Hero 6 this afternoon so...I'm really fricking excited!

      Delete