Thursday, October 30, 2014

How many of you have seen an Orson Welles film in the theaters?

You get that last laugh, Orson!

Well, now we all can!  I have to say, there really has been no greater cinematic news in the history of modern day cinematic news that this news right here.  The long lost FINAL film from the GOD that was Orson Welles is finally getting released after years of power trips, disagreements, struggles and desperate pleadings.  Filmed back in the 70's with a cast that included John Huston, Dennis Hopper and Peter Bogdanovich, The Other Side of the Wind looks like a semi-autobiographical story of a temperamental director struggling to put his true vision on the big screen.  In development hell for, what, nearly four decades, this is a film that many thought would never see the light of day.  With so many hands in the pot, fighting over rights and refusing to meet in the middle, cinephiles the world around wept over the fact that they may never get the chance to bask in Welles' glory once again.

Well, next year we bask, because it looks like terms were met, contracts were signed, and The Other Side of the Wind is being completed for a special screening on May 6, 2015 (to coincide with Welles' 100th birthday).

I have chills.  

I HAVE CHILLS!

The only thing that could make this any better than it already is would be if Orson Welles were to somehow win his long (LONG) overdue Directing Oscar next year for this.  Ha, a boy can dream, but seriously...we need to make this happen.

6 comments:

  1. I heard of this and it is great! I doubt it will get to my neck of the woods but i would plan to travel to see it. i have been gone for quite a few days and no iphone or tablet so i am baaaack:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would travel to see this too, but thankfully I have three art house theaters within a 45 mile radius of me, and I'm fairly confident they'll get this.

      Delete
  2. I also heard about this as I'm excited to see this as I do like Orson Welles' work as a filmmaker based on the films of his that I've seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so far ahead of his time that having his final film release now almost makes sense.

      Delete
  3. This news is AMAZING! Let's start the Oscar campaign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if this thing gets a serious confirmation, I'll pretty much dedicate next year to Orson Welles. I'm already getting my series and blogathons worked out.

      Delete