Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Hollywood Music in Media Awards


Maybe this shouldn't count, but I'm getting antsy and really want to start predicting some actual awards here, so I'm going to make it count.  I just heard about these today, but apparently this is their fifth year, and they may give us an early look at how these Score and Song categories (which are always the hardest to peg down in advance) are going to pan out.  Granted, these look much like the guilds in that they allow for multiple genre categories, so they are pretty much spreading the wealth, but let's give these nominations a gander and see what it could mean for Oscar talk.


Original Score ~ Feature Film

Desplat ~ The Imitation Game
Johannsson ~ The Theory of Everything
Newman ~ The Judge
Price ~ Fury
Reznor & Ross ~ Gone Girl
Sanchez ~ Birdman
Zimmer ~ Interstellar

Unbroken is absent here, but I have a feeling that that is because it hasn't been finished or heard in its entirety, and I do have a strong feeling that it will factor into Oscar, but outside of that I feel like we could be seeing four of our five nominees represented here.  Zimmer, Reznor/Ross, Johannsson and Desplat all are very, very promising at this point.

Original Score ~ Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film

Bates ~ Guardians of the Galaxy
Giacchino ~ Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Jablonsky ~ Transformers: Age of Extinction
Mansell ~ Noah
Newton Howard ~ Maleficent
Shore ~ The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

I wish that Mansell would actually factor into the Oscar race, but Noah's reception is too polarizing for it to actually carry over into this category.  Mansell is one of the most interesting composers working in film right now, so eventually I think he'll get the right gig at the right time to solidify an Oscar nomination.  The Imitation Game was supposed to be that film this year.  I don't want to talk about that right now.

Original Score ~ Animated Film

Elfman ~ Mr. Peabody and Sherman
Marianelli ~ The Boxtrolls
Mothersbaugh ~ The LEGO Movie
Powell ~ How to Train Your Dragon 2
Santaolalla ~ The Book of Life
Sensini ~ Rocks in My Pockets

I really wish that Marianelli would factor into the race too.  That score was the best thing about The Boxtrolls, such a lighthearted delight of a score and one of my favorites of the year so far.  Sadly, I don't think it has much of a shot, especially with such stronger reviews for bigger Best Picture prospects.

Original Song ~ Film

I'll Get You What You Want ~ Muppets Most Wanted
Lost Stars ~ Begin Again
Not About Angels ~ The Fault In Our Stars
So Now What ~ Wish I Was Here
Wish I Was Here ~ Wish I Was Here

The thing I'm most intrigued about here is the inclusion of I'll Get You What You Want from Muppets Most Wanted.  I'm wondering if we're thinking wrong in considering Something So Right instead of this more quirky offering.  Remember when practically no one thought that Muppet or a Man would be nominated...and then it won the Oscar?

Original Song ~ Animated Film

Everything is Awesome ~ The LEGO Movie
Kid ~ Mr. Peabody and Sherman
Still I Fly ~ Planes: Fire and Rescue
What is Love ~ Rio 2
Where No One Goes ~ How to Train Your Dragon 2

With no Book of Life mentions, this seems kind of messy.  I mean, we all know the obvious winner here, and yet none of the others feel like they'd have a shot with Oscar, sans maybe Where No One Goes.  I'm really shocked that nothing from Book of Life is here, when it made it into Score.  I'm skeptical on all of these.

So, there we have it.  The first official nominations of the season.  They may not mean a whole lot in the long run, but it's something to talk about and when I finally make my Award's Tally Page for the year, these will be on there.

8 comments:

  1. Oh the predictions are coming in and it will be interesting. Often i am bothered by this category in the Oscar batch anyway. Often the best song doesn't seem to win and a mamby-pamby song does. Let It Be is sugar sweet-gak! I thought Happy should have won-that one sticks in my brain more. the Disney blah blah songs all sound similar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Happy for a while...and then I got really sick and tired of it. I absolutely adore Let it Go, though.

      Delete
  2. Dude. You are the most hardcore guy I know when it comes to award season. F--king intense.

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live for this time of year!

      Delete
    2. I feel like I know a little about movies, but have ZERO idea about any of this. The fact that you not keep up with it, but have an educated opinion on just about every aspect of award season blows me away.

      I respect that. Big time.

      Delete
    3. Thanks man. I appreciate that. I do spend way too much time weighing all of this stuff out, but I find it fun so I guess it's ok :-P

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I hadn't heard of these. (Are they even on IMDb?) It's too bad Hans Zimmer and company couldn't snag a nod for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Thrilled to see "Lost Stars" (which I'm rooting for at the Oscars) get in. I saw The Boxtrolls and Fury last weekend, and the scores are wonderful. Oscar attention for either would be awesome!

    With such an unpredictable category, I wonder if Wish I Was Here could land a random Oscar nomination. The title track just misses my current CinSpec lineup, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing Fury this past weekend, Price may be my new favorite voice in film. His score was simply INCREDIBLE.

      Delete