Tuesday, September 9, 2014

5 for the Fifth: my belated answers to Ruth's questions!


So, I’m late with this, but I do love me some Flixchatter, and I especially love Ruth’s 5 for the Fifth series, and whenever I can I try and participate with my own post to answer her five questions.  In all the chaos at my house, trying to prepare for our Disney trip and trying to wrap up some posts I had planned for the blog here, I completely forgot to jump on this back ON THE FIFTH, which is when I like to play along, but better late than never, right?

So, if you haven’t read through Ruth’s post, do that here first.  If you’re new to Flixchatter, add it to your blog roll NOW, since her blog is incredible (one of my personal favorites), and you’ll not want to miss another episode of 5 for the Fifth.

And now, to answer your questions Ruth, here we go!


1)  What’s your favorite film from the talented Paddy Considine (in honor of his 41st birthday, which was on THE FIFTH!)?

Ok, so I’m not as familiar with Considine as I should be, and I’m shamed for that.  I know him from some of his early 00’s fare, when he was being singled out in reviews and toted as an up and coming talent, but he never really made it into the mainstream cinemas and I honestly kind of forgot about him.  I know; I’m disgusted with myself.  That being said, if I’m going just on the movie itself, then my favorite that I’ve seen is easily Cinderella Man, which is a film I feel is really underrated. 

But, that isn’t his film at all.


So now, let’s talk about one of his films…In America.  All this shaming myself for not following his career and I can pat myself on the back for giving him a FISTI NOMINATION back in 2003 for his tender and heartbreaking turn in the aforementioned film.  I think I’ve mentioned this before (around Father’s Day, and probably for Ruth’s 5 for the Fifth that month) that Considine’s performance in that film is my favorite representation of fatherhood on film.  The love he has for his family, the caring, the passion, the concern, the worry, the struggle…it’s so real.  When my wife was pregnant with our first child, we were attending a birthing class when the teacher asked all the fathers to tell their favorite cinematic father, and I went on talked in great length about this performance.  It’s just beautiful.

2)  What are your thoughts on this trailer for Paradise Lost?


I love Benicio del Toro, and I really think that Hutcherson has some untapped talent (which was almost tapped in The Kids are All Right, and yet he had, by far, the least interesting role), but this looks like some ‘trying to be important by really trying to be an action movie for teenagers’ kind of flick that Paul Walker would have starred in back in 2003.  It just looks…cheap.  Not in a production way, since it does look slick, but in a material kind of way.  Like, the actual meat of the film looks cheap.  This is probably horribly inaccurate and trumped up to be something teenage boys will get pumped over and walk out of the theater trying to gun down drug lords (or want to be drug lords) and its sole purpose is probably to make Hutcherson a commodity, but this is one of those films that will wind up in the $5 bin at Walmart next year and will be that forgettable action flick that remains a stain on del Toro’s resume.

Hutcherson who?

3)  Which actor/actress (from TV or film) would you like to see reinvent themselves in a fashion similar to that of Dan Stevens?

This is such an awesome question.  There are so many actors who I really wish would step out of their comfort zone.  Not everyone tries new things over and over again, and the physical transformations are impressive to a degree, but losing weight can’t be a mask for doing the same thing you did in the last film (get the hint, McConaughey). 


I’m going with Bruce Willis, because it was the first name that popped up in my head.  He showed that he had it in him in 2011’s Moonrise Kingdom, but since then he’s gone right back to his comfort zone of action flicks.  I want him to reinvent himself so badly.  Take on comedic roles (he’s so funny) or tender roles (he’s got it) or weighty dramatic roles (can you imagine the untapped dramatics he could bring under the right direction?).  Work with Fincher or PTA or Wright or Wes again!  Where’s Scorsese to give him a fleshy role?  He loves manly actors.  I really, really hope that his reunion with M. Night Shyamalan (Labor of Love) isn’t a poor decision, but it does seem like it could be just the nudge Willis needs to move in the right direction in this stage in his career.  Playing a widower embarking on a cross-country trip to prove his undying love for his late wife could be ripe with potential, but will this be early, interesting, poignant Shyamalan or overwrought, tacky, dumb Shyamalan?

4)  What are your thoughts on that casting of Hunnam in the lead of the remake of Escape from New York?

I’m sorry, but why are they remaking this?  The original was tacky and kind of worthless and so I see no reason to retread this dumb, contrived and uninteresting premise.  Yeah, that’s all I think about this or the casting.  I don’t particularly care what this does to Hunnam’s career (it’ll probably sink it), namely because I don’t really know him as an actor, so carry on.

5)  Do you think superhero/comic book films should get the big-budget treatment?


While visual effects can be awesome to look at, a dumb script and lazy development cannot really be hidden behind them, so I don’t think all that money should be spent in one place; hire better writers.  If you can mesh the two, then have at it.  Big-budget productions for superheroes are pretty great because those heroes are supposed to be larger than life…and then again, one of the best superhero movies was Unbreakable, and that was pretty low budget.  I think it depends on the hero and the director.  Some directors know how to make a film work without the spectacles to draw our eye.  It’s a case by case basis, but I don’t think it’s a requirement.  The script should come first.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Drew!! Thanks as always for the entertaining answers!

    Hey, glad you have seen In America. And right on for giving Paddy a Fisti nom, wahoo!

    Ahah, Hutcherson who?? Not a fan of Hunger Games are ya? ;) Well I’m not exactly a fan either but I have to give him credit for trying to branch out. I see what you mean about the meat of the film feeling rather cheap, it sure looks like a B movie all the way.

    Heh, I don’t care for Willis anymore. I used to like him but since he’s been phoning it in so many times lately, esp in that cash grab Die Hard 5 (PLUS him asking for too much money for 5 minutes of screen time in Expendables 3), I lost interest. I LOVE LOVE Unbreakable but right now I’m not even all that excited for Labor of Love.

    Yeah, I don’t know why Hollywood is hell-bent on remaking EVERY SINGLE old movies, even those that weren’t even good to begin with!

    Glad you love Unbreakable too! Yep, if only Hollywood would smarten up and spend the big budget on the writers for a change. This applies to every movie, not just superhero ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paddy totally deserves that Fisti nom!

      I like Hutcherson enough, but he hasn't done anything truly noteworthy yet and I have a feeling that this film will do nothing to change that.

      I love Willis. Have you seen Moonrise Kingdom? His performance is beautiful, and he snags a Fisti nom from me for that! He was also used very well in Looper that same year. He has so much talent and yet he wastes it on such crap. If the right directors got ahold of him, he could be an Oscar winner.

      Remakes are mostly ridiculous.

      And yup, BETTER SCRIPTS PLEASE!

      Delete
  2. I can't with actors like Hunnam or Hutcherson. Where are all the men? Well, in my Friday's posts, apparently. Couldn't care less about either of their projects.

    I love what you wrote about ...in America, I'm gonna need to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love In America, such a great movie, and the central performances are all stellar, especially from the two little girls, the Bolger sisters...some of the best child performances I've ever seen.

      Delete
  3. You're not *that* late with this. I've gotten so behind that I haven't commented on Ruth's post yet! :O

    Considine is excellent in In America, but I might have to go with Dead Man's Shoes. He's INSANE in that. (I agree that Cinderella Man is underrated, by the way.)

    I'm already forgetting about Paradise Lost...

    WILLIS!!!! This NEEDS to happen! (And I'll probably never stop rooting for Shyamalan.)

    I love the campy original, but an EFNY remake is just sad. Why can't filmmakers just reinvent classic movies, like Disturbia did with Rear Window.

    Yeah, the script should come first. Who really thinks about the VFX in the Dark Knight trilogy? It can be done without flashy CGI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you'd think you were the one who went on vacation!

      Now I feel the need to see this Dead Man's Shoes...never heard of it.

      Delete
    2. Haha, it feels like it!

      Two words on Dead Man's Shoes: Shane. Meadows.

      Delete