Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Twice a Best Actor Bloggers Roundtable: STATS!!!


Well, Twice a Best Actor is over.  It’s been a real blast, but we have gone through all 9 actors to have won the Lead Actor Oscar twice and have now reached the end, where I present to you the ranked list!  But, before I do, I wanted to go ahead and present to you a few stats on our grades and our panel.  This was such a diverse and varied panel and that made for such a fun discussion.  Some of us seemed to love everything, some of us were never pleased and others seemed to moderately appreciate everything.  This made for interesting analysis and shocking results. 

First, let’s look at the most commonly given grades, individually.

Alex’s favorite grade was A+, handing out 9 of them.  He was easily the nicest critic, but he rather shamelessly owned that!
I also handed out more A+’s than any other grade, but I only dealt out 4.
Andrew was fond of the C grade, handing out 5 of those.
Josh’s most frequent grade was an A, where he handed out 5, and Mario handed out 4 of those as well as 4 B+‘s, those being his two most frequent grades.
Shane’s most frequent grade was the A-, where he handed out 4.

Oh, and I’m the only A-Hole who gave out an F (and I gave out TWO OF THEM!!!)

Here is a complete breakdown of the grade tallies:

A+ (21)
Alex – 9
Drew – 4
Josh – 4
Mario – 3
Shane – 1

A (20)
Alex – 4
Andrew – 3
Drew – 1
Josh – 5
Mario – 4
Shane – 3

A- (11)
Alex – 1
Drew – 1
Josh – 3
Mario – 2
Shane – 4

B+ (12)
Alex – 1
Andrew – 2
Josh – 2
Mario – 4
Shane – 3

B (11)
Alex – 1
Andrew – 1
Drew – 2
Josh – 2
Mario – 2
Shane – 3

B- (7)
Alex – 1
Drew – 1
Mario – 2
Shane – 3

C+ (5)
Andrew – 1
Drew – 1
Josh – 2
Mario – 1

C (7)
Andrew – 5
Drew – 1
Shane – 1

C- (7)
Alex – 1
Andrew – 3
Drew – 3

D (5)
Andrew – 3
Drew – 2

F (2)
Drew – 2

And for the hell of it, here are our average grade totals!

Alex – A/A- (17.388888888889) 313 total points
Josh – A/A- (16.333333333333) 294 total points
Mario – A-/B+ (15.666666666667) 282 total points
Shane – B+/B (14.611111111111) 263 total points
Drew – B-/C+ (10.944444444444) 197 total points
Andrew – C+ (10) 180 total points

Now we come to the individual performance rankings.  There was only one tie, which is a rather ironic tie at that, and it hilariously comes smack dab in the center of the rankings! 

Here we go:

      1.       Day-Lewis / My Left Foot – 114
      2.       Day-Lewis / There Will Be Blood – 112
      3.       Brando / On the Waterfront – 111
      4.       Brando / The Godfather – 108
      5.       Nicholson / One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – 105
      6.       Hoffman / Kramer vs. Kramer – 102
      7.       Penn / Milk – 85
      8.       March / The Best Years of Our Lives – 84 
      9.       Hoffman / Rain Man & Hanks / Forrest Gump – 80
    10.   Hanks / Philadelphia – 75
    11.   Cooper / High Noon – 74
    12.   Penn / Mystic River – 73
    13.   Nicholson / As Good As It Gets – 71
    14.   March / Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde – 67
    15.   Tracy / Captains Courageous – 65
    16.   Cooper / Sergeant York – 64
    17.   Tracy / Boys Town – 59

Day-Lewis only actor to receive an A (in some form) from everyone for both performances!

And so, with that ranking out of the way, here we have the final list of the collective scores, ranking these actors in the order in which they are deserving of the title ‘Twice a Best Actor’

      1.       Day-Lewis – 226
      2.       Brando – 219
      3.       Hoffman – 182
      4.       Nicholson – 176
      5.       Penn – 158 
      6.       Hanks – 155
      7.       March – 151
      8.       Cooper – 138
      9.       Tracy – 124

What do you think?  Do you agree?  Is this the order you suspected?  Who would be your #1 (mine would be Brando, but I was overruled by the panel, obviously). 


As I’ve said many times already, this was all made possible by my awesome panel, and I thank you all once again from the bottom of my blogging heart for taking the time to take this journey with me and make this series possible!

8 comments:

  1. Very cool to see this all rounded up. It was pretty awesome to read these discussions. I loved when everyone gushed in unison and when everyone had a completely different view of the same role.

    It would be great if you did an actress round table as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best Actress Roundtable is actually shaping up already! I have two of the previous panel confirmed to return, plus three newbies! It's going to be a fun panel for sure!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this round table, and it's cool to see stats like this on it! I hope you guys do more of these.

    And don't feel bad for handing out F's! Some films truly deserve those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt!

      I never feel too bad about my F's...I mean...like you said, some things truly deserve them!

      Delete
  3. Awesome post!

    I liked a lot, it seems. ;) I'm kind of thrilled that DDL's performance in There Will Be Blood didn't get #1, which I expected. I'd rank the Twice a Best Actor list almost the same, though I'd definitely put Brando at #1.

    Again, great work man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wish that Brando was in 1st and Hanks or Cooper was last, but overall this is a pretty good ranking.

      Delete
  4. Loved the series and glad to hear the actress one is shaping up quickly. That will be a great one to look forward to each week as well. Based on the qualifying performances this is about how I expected the rankings to play out though I thought Hanks would be lower. That might just be me since his were two of my least favorite performances. If the ranking were for them as individual performers overall I'd expect the list to stack up differently, though I'd still place DDL at the top of that list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this Joel! If all goes as planned, Twice a Best Actress will be starting up end of September!

      Delete