Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Ten Best Superhero Movies Relay!


Well, I don’t know if you can tell, but I’m catching up on my blogathons right now!  LOL, this is what happens when you procrastinate.  Bubbawheat, the blogosphere’s chief authority on all things Superhero Movies, has started his own Bloggers Relay (those are popular right now, aren’t they?) and he’s passed the first baton over to me!  I’m honored and privileged and slightly terrified, to be completely honest. 

Here’s why.

Bubbawheat didn’t want this to be some never-ending relay that is soon dismissed or forgotten about (honestly, all of the ones I have participated in have been awesome and fun and yet after about seven or eight entries, I stopped keeping track) and so he set in motion a set of rules to govern this relay, giving it a definite end date.  So, the initial list was presented by Bubbawheat and then I have a week to work on it.  I have to remove 3 movies, with explanations as to why, and then replace them with 3 more (also with explanations).  If a movie lasts five rounds, it’s cemented onto the list.  If a removed movie is added and then removed again three different times, it is locked out and can no longer be chosen.  Once 4 movies are locked onto the list, bloggers remove 2 titles…and once we have 8 locked in films, we can only remove 1.

Eventually we will have a locked in list of 10.

Here is why I am terrified.  I’m nowhere near as versed in the world of Superhero films as Bubbawheat is…and his initial list of 12 (yes, there are 12 due to the rule changes, but it will end with 10) looks pretty damn perfect!

But, I will press on and hope that this works out for me.


First, the initial list:













Now, here are the three I’m removing:




Why?  Well, I haven’t seen any of the Hellboy movies, so removing a film that I had seen instead (and one that I liked, mind you) felt silly.  I understand that it has a large fanbase, and it will probably land back on the list at some point, so I saw no harm.  Also, while I really love X-Men, the sequel was vastly superior in every way and made this original look dated by comparison (and they only came out three years apart).  Lastly, there are already two other Batman movies on the list, and in my childhood, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was the superior animated film.

I honestly debated removing The Avengers, simply because I don’t get the hype AT ALL, but I thought I may receive death threats if I went that far.

So, what am I adding?




Why?

Well, for me, The Rocketeer came down to pure nostalgic bias.  I adore this movie for so many, many reasons, but upon a recent viewing I was shocked to see how well it held up and how well it captivated my own kids.  It’s a beautifully composed story and it handles the material, the era and the themes shockingly well.  It has a dated appearance, but never feels weighted down by it.  Next, I wanted to move on to a more modern take on the superhero tale, and that’s why I chose Chronicle.  Much like Unbreakable (which was the first film I initially planned on adding when I saw I had the baton, until I saw it was already on the list), this is an origin tale of a different flavor, and one that utilizes those popular handheld techniques, but so such great effect…and pretty much simultaneously chronicling the creation of superheroes AND a super villain in a really interesting light.  Lastly, I wanted to jump to an entirely different tone, and so I went with Mystery Men.  I know that one may look at this as pure trashy ridiculousness, but it is utterly hilarious and really works as a time capsule for the late-nineties comedy.  It is anchored by some really intriguing ideas, characters and comedic performances and, in my eyes, nails the tone.

So, I hope that this makes things interesting (and I hope that at least one of my entries remains on the list till the end).

I’m handing things over to my girl Ruth over at Flixchatter, even though I know what this may mean!  Have at it!

19 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for passing the baton, Drew!

    OMG, I LOVE that you added The Rocketeer, it's pure nostalgia for me too but really it's awesome!! I love the story, set pieces and the sense of fun w/ throwback to Hollywood Golden age, what's not to love? Plus, Timothy Dalton fantastically channeling Errol Flynn! :D

    Ok now I LOVE the first X-Men so I might have to add it back in, but of course I have to see which ones I want to add first. That's a good rule about the lock-in and lock-out thing, makes total sense though it'll be kinda tough to keep track, ahah. Ok, I'll get my thinking cap on this weekend, I know I'll be enlisting my hubby to help as he also loves this genre :D

    – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be keeping track of all that stuff on the main blogathon page. Looking forward to what you switch out!

      Delete
    2. You're so welcome Ruth! Glad to have passed this your way.

      I'm so glad you're on board with The Rocketeer! I love that movie so much! I know that X-Men is a loved movie, and I like it too, but don't you think X2: United is a better film? I always thought that was largely considered superior. I've always felt that way at least. I considered adding it in, but opted for not.

      I also considered replacing Blade 2 with Blade, for the sheer fact that Steven Dorff is one of the coolest screen villains ever!

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah X-2 is a better film, in fact I'm considering adding that! I've only seen the first BLADE film but I love Wesley Snipes! Can't remember Dorff in it though.

      Delete
    4. OMG! Dorff is so freaking cool in that movie. He was this perfect blend of terrifying and electrifying. I wanted to be him, and yet at night I was really afraid he was going to kill me.

      Delete
  2. The Rocketeer is what I think one of the most underrated films of the 1990s. I saw it in the theaters and thought it was great but other kids in my class during the 5th grade didn't think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! Hating on The Rocketeer is a punishable offence!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting choices. Glad to see Chronicle and Mystery Men getting some love. Haven't seen The Rocketeer, sadly. Small correction: the Batman movie you removed is actually Under the Red Hood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH, I hate when I make mistakes like that! I even had up the IMDB page so that I wouldn't...but I must have been looking quickly and smudged the two titles together (red hood/mask of the phantasm)...

      Delete
  4. Sad to see Under the Red Hood go, but not surprised. I was about to say that while I loved Chronicle, it feels a little too recent to include. And then I remembered that it came out the same year as the Avengers. Nice choice to add Mystery Men, I will agree that it's the best superhero parody/comedy movie of all time, but unfortunately that's not a very high bar to reach. The Rocketeer is the most iffy for me, it's a nice bit of nostalgia, but there's a bunch out there that are better. Thanks for taking part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it isn't a high bar, but Mystery Men is a really funny movie regardless, and I know that it has legions of fans.

      Sad you're not on the Rocketeer train :-(

      Delete
  5. I'm pretty sure I would have been the one who started sending you death threats over omitting The Avengers! :D I regard it as pretty much perfect, when it comes to superhero films.

    Wait - where's Batman and Robin!? This list is a joke! (i'm kidding, of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like The Avengers, but I expected to have my life altered by the film, thanks to all the heaps and heaps of praise it got. I liked it...but...

      Delete
  6. Oh, intriguing choices man. I've only seen Mystery Men, which I enjoyed but haven't seen in years. I should be watching The Rocketeer soon. It looks like a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love The Rocketeer! Such an awesome slice of my childhood, and it actually holds up rather well. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

      Delete
  7. I always wanted a bowling ball just like the one in Mystery Men. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iron man and avengers are best superhero movies of all time I have seen these movies more than a dozen times. Actions are simply fascinating me and graphics are at their best. Really looking for next installment of these series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is probably close to wrapping up as well, and I'm sure that both of those titles will make the final list.

      Delete