Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Gurl, be gone...

HOW DARE YOU!?!?!?!?!?!
I was originally going to lump this post with the news that Mike Epps is attempting to snag an Oscar nom by playing Richard Pryor, but then I realized that Lee Daniels and Tyler Perry are not the same person and so I decided not to even try and find a link, even though the link is obvious, and she's probably incredibly pissed about this post.

Does that make me racist, or does it just further prove the sad state of the quality of their work?

Anyways, I had to talk about this recent interview with Tyler Perry where he talks about singing show-tunes with Ben Affleck and being absolutely oblivious to the career of David Fincher.  This has got to be some of the most ridiculous admissions and stories told by any celebrity in an interview since Joaquin Phoenix looked like a homeless man.  From belting out Bette Midler (gurl, you're too hefty to keep that closet door closed) to saving a terrified crew member from the wrath of David Fincher (let that ego marinade a bit, my friend), Perry comes off like a GIANT douche.

But, it gets worse.  And I quote:


"If I had known who David Fincher was, and his body of work, or if I’d known the book was so popular, I would have said, No,”

There is so much wrong here.  First, you don't know who David Fincher is?  Like, this isn't even one of those "well, I've heard of him but haven't seen his films"...this is a straight up "I DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS!"  How the hell is this possible?  Tyler Perry is a member of the Directing Branch for the ACADEMY, and has been since 2009.  This means that his branch nominated Fincher back in 2010 for The Social Network, and Perry was required to VOTE for his favorite in the lineup!  He's never even heard of him?  Did he even bother to watch the nominated films?  Does he watch the news?  Does he pay attention to film news, you know, his very profession?  And then, on top of all that, he says that he would have said...NO!  What?!?!?!  

I'm not sure what Perry's intention was with these statements.  Was he trying to come across as an idiot, because he succeeded?  Is he trying to throw shade towards Fincher?  Between comment on having to lie about a phone call to outright stating he wouldn't have worked with Fincher had he even known who he was, Perry seems to be trying to stir up something.  The sad thing is, Fincher specifically sought him out for this part.  He wanted to work with Perry.  

I mean, it's really sad to me that Perry didn't know who Fincher was, and yet Fincher knew who Perry was!

10 comments:

  1. Tyler Perry, a fucking moron who continuously makes bad movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't judge his movies, since the trailers are so painful to watch I've actually never seen any of his films (except For Colored Girls, which was...well...painful).

      Delete
  2. I think Perry is either 1. making a joke 2. trying to come off as cool - look at me I'm so busy I can't be bothered with knowing director's name. Well he failed on both accounts :)

    The funniest part of the article is how jelly beans are a hazard TO BATMAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I was thinking the same thing about the jelly beans!

      Delete
  3. SMH Perry and Fincher play on opposite sides of the road. They really are like night and day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, they couldn't be more different...but there is no excuse for Perry not knowing who he was.

      Delete
  4. Whoa, Perry is a d-bag, but don't drag Lee Daniels into this! I actually like him. lol I really, really hate Tyler Perry though. I hate when he randomly pops up in movies I'm enjoying (and I hate it even more when he directs ANOTHER Madea movie that my sister insists is always awesome)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Daniels is a competent yet irritating director because he lacks real focus and doesn't know when to step back from DIRECTING and just...direct. But he's not Perry, I just got them confused for a minute because they are both Oprah's minions and they are both pudgy ;-)

      Delete
  5. Where do I begin? If he's serious, he must be in his own world. Someone with his lackluster filmography should be grateful to work with Fincher. There must something going on behind the scenes. Surely most filmmakers have at least heard of Fincher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's probably just incredibly jealous now that he's seen a true master director at work...

      Delete