Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Guilty Pleasure Movies Blogathon!


So, Jenna and Allie, two of the coolest chicks blogging about movies right now, have put together their first blogathon!  We've talked about it here before (awareness, people!) and I hope that everyone is playing along.  There are still a few weeks left (the deadline is August 31st), so if you haven't given this much thought, starting giving it!  The blogathon is a pretty cool idea.  

Guilty Pleasures...we all have them, especially when it comes to movies.  We all have that one movie that we know we shouldn't love that we can't help but shamelessly ADORE!

I immediately knew the movie I was going with.



`Wild Things' is that type of movie that is so over the top and ludicrous it ends up making perfect sense. The plot is so `out there' and `all over the place' yet in the end it all comes together in the most grounded of ways. When the curtain closes so-to-speak you realize that you wouldn't have it any other way. Most importantly though, `Wild Things' is so much fun, so engrossing and utterly enjoyable that you'll forgive all it's absurdities and just embrace it for it's true entertainment value. `Wild Things' is just that; one wild, wild ride. 

The plot, or at least what I'm at liberty to disclose, follows a young teacher named Sam Lombardo. Sam is well liked by his students; a real down to earth kind of guy. One student in particular can't seem to get enough of Sam. That student is the very wealthy Kelly Van Ryan. Kelly has that sweet innocent thing going for her, but it's very apparent that it is all just a facade. When Kelly suddenly accuses Sam of taking advantage of her the entire community is up in arms, especially Kelly's mother Sandra, who had once been in a relationship with Sam and longed to have him back. When another student, Suzie Toller, comes forward with the same accusation Sgt. Ray Duquette and Det. Gloria Perez begin their investigation; but all is not as it seems and they are soon to find that out. 

What I just adore about `Wild Things' is its fearless way in which it dives full throttle into this story. Nothing is left up for grabs; it is all spread evenly across the table. The actors all seem so engaged and interested in their roles; they are truly enjoying themselves. The script is crazy and extreme but its woven so tightly you can't really gripe too much about its unabashed absurdity. 

The performances here are all rich and on point. Neve Campbell and Denise Richards embrace their roles with fervor and guts. Campbell steals most scenes as the aggressive yet often naïve Suzie, while Denise embellishes the impish side of Kelly in such a perfectly seductive manner. Theresa Russell is loud and obnoxious and deliciously campy as Kelly's brazen mother Saundra, and Kevin Bacon actually pulls it together as Ray Duquette, the curious cop. Matt Dillon gives his best performance (in my humble opinion) as Sam Lombardo. He just really sinks into this role with reckless abandon and I admire that. And then we have Bill Murray, who always knows how to squeeze out a laugh. His performance adds comic relief in all the right places here. 

Like I said, I see nothing here to be ashamed or to feel guilty about enjoying. `Wild Things' is the type of film that is designed, from beginning to end, to entertain you; and who wouldn't be entertained here. Yes, it is trashy and campy in parts and seriously bonkers, but in the end that is all the more reason to indulge and enjoy every single second of running time.

In fact, this is such a not so guilty pleasure of mine that, once the 1998 Fistis are announced (later this year), you'll see them all over my ballots!

10 comments:

  1. I don't consider it a guilty pleasure. Then again, I don't have guilty pleasures as I do like this film for all of its trashiness and eerie twists. It's so fun to watch. Plus, that was when Denise Richards was really hot. Charlie Sheen ruined her. I'd like to beat the shit out of that guy for just being a moron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not guilty about loving this at all, but it's trashy as hell so maybe I should be :-P

      Delete
  2. I was hoping you'd pick this for the guilty pleasures blogathon! I loved every minute of it, though I only found room to nominate Campbell and the cinematography. Now I want to buy it and rewatch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now (and nothing is final), I have this in BP, Editing, Screenplay, Campbell and Cinematography...and it wins BP!!!

      Delete
  3. Aw Fisti, you're the best! Totally made my day :)
    Thanks for taking part! I can't speak for Jenna but I've never seen Wild Things, although after your review you've made me really want to see it! It's going to end up on my own Guilty Pleasures list for sure now!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! You should see this movie. It's one of those cult classics for a reason, and it is fun as hell!

      Delete
  4. Damn, where is m.brown? I'd think anyone mentioning this one is like his own version of Bloody Mary legend.

    With boobs.

    And Kevin Bacon.


    I actually never saw this one, but I'm gonna need to check it our, lately I've been watching some famous movies I haven't seen before so I may even watch it this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's funny you mention Mario, since the last time I talked about Wild Things here, it was for his blogathon!

      http://afistfuloffilms.blogspot.com/2014/02/mt-spankmore.html (still my most popular post on this blog)

      You need to see this Sati! Like, tonight!

      Delete
  5. Not sure how I missed this entry when you posted it, but glad I found it. Wild Things is definitely a great "guilty pleasure" type of movie. Great post.

    ReplyDelete