Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Attack of the Sequels!


I love meeting new bloggers and becoming acquainted with their sites and their personalities.  A new blogger on my radar is Feeling Fuzzier, and I’m quickly becoming a real fan!  A few weeks back he decided to host his first every blogathon, and I’ve been meaning to participate.  I hate when time slips away from you, because here it is the day before the deadline and I’m just now scrambling to put something together.

Well, not really scrambling.

You see, the blogathon in question is Attack of the Sequels!, a blogathon about just that; movie sequels.  The task at hand is to choose a movie (even if it already has a sequel or two) and explain why you think it needs one (or another).  This is about GOOD movie sequels, not those crappy ones that keep getting green-lit. 

I kind of knew right away where I would go with this, because I’ve had this idea in my head for going on four years now about pretty much the only Pixar sequel I want to see, and so I knew it would be perfect for this.  The only thing was, I’m not really sure how well it qualifies because it wouldn’t really be a sequel but a prequel, and on top of that, it would kind of be more like a spinoff.


If you are a longtime reader of the blog, you probably know where I’m going with this, as I’ve mentioned this idea a few times.



Yes, I’m talking about a Lots-O’ Huggin’ Bear movie!  I’ve talked about Lots-O’ in the past as being one of my favorite Pixar characters, and I’ve even mentioned desiring him to get his own spinoff.  It may seem like simple re-tread here, but I ran out of time, and I really think this needs to be done!  Lots-O’ is easily the most interesting villain in the Pixar canon.  He’s a deceptive thug, which isn’t saying a whole lot, but he’s one of the few villains to not only get a really heart-tugging backstory (think Jessie’s very own backstory from Toy Story II, only harsher and sadder) and a complete lack of redemption.  The bear is just plain evil.  Even after having the Toy Story friends save his life, he betrays them, tossing aside his one chance to return the favor and instead actively pursues their deaths. 

WHY?!?! 

I really want to see an exploration of his character.  I want to watch his whole life unfold, from his initial purchase to his bonding to his heartbreak, replacement and cold-hearted rage.  I want to explore his jealousies (why was he so bent on ruining his friend’s lives too, even though they had not been replaced) as well as his rise to power among the daycare toys.  I want a really, really dark story here.  I want The Godfather of all Toy Story films, and I want it NOW!

10 comments:

  1. I'm all in for the movie you propose. I don't think we'll ever get it, but I would definitely plop down my hard earned cash for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you'd be interested. Maybe I just need to write the damn script and send it to Pixar myself!

      Delete
  2. I would go for that as Lotso I think was the first true villain of Pixar as there were nothing about him that really spoke of redemption where he tried to have the gang killed. He was evil. I would like to see how he turned Sunnyside into an evil place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...he's the mafia king of Pixar and deserves to have that explored.

      Delete
  3. Great choice! I'm still on board for that movie. I can't see Pixar going that dark, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know though. Pixar needs to shake it up and bit, and I think they'd be more opt to go dark than a studio like Disney.

      But then again...they'll never do this...ever. They've probably forgotten who Lotso is.

      Delete
  4. Oh that's a great choice! I would be first in line for that film for sure :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thinking mate :) I wouldn't rule out a Toy Story 4, even if I think they should leave it as it is :/ Lotso only makes me think of the Govenor from Walking Dead ever since Screen Junkies made that Honest Trailer - I can't shake it! :) Thanks for taking part in my little blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually heard that they've been discussing a Toy Story 4...but I highly doubt Lotso will be the focal point :-(

    ReplyDelete