Thursday, July 24, 2014

Trailer Break x's 5!!!

Let's cut a trailer!
So, while the rest of the world is collectively masturbating to the new Fifty Shades of Grey trailer, let's take a few minutes to remember that we forgot that movie was even being made and talk about five other trailers floating around the web right now and collecting some varied attention.  


First, A Second Chance.


So, I'm not ashamed to say that I kind of love the hell out of Susanne Bier.  Granted, I've only seen four of her films, but I love/like them all, and her one-two punch (for me at least, since they were the first two films of hers that I saw) of Brothers and After the Wedding were just unforgettable for me.  I'm always shocked to hear that fellow cinephiles kind of loathe her, but whatever.  This, in my eyes, looks fantastic.  I love heavy character dramas, and this cast is delicious.  With Serena looking more and more like a DOA, straight to video release, this could be the Bier we need to set our sights on this year.  Could this be a dark horse Foreign Language Film Oscar contender?  She recently won for In a Better World, so she's on their radar, and they tend to like heavy stuff in this category.  I guess we'll have to wait and see if Denmark chooses to go with her this year.

Next, the much anticipated Miss Julie...


Now, I am not a giant Chastain fan.  I find her sudden rise as the current it girl to be baffling.  She had a good year, but I'm not entirely sold on her yet.  I was cool on this film from the beginning, but I'm having an opposite reaction to this trailer than the rest of my cinephile friends.  Apparently they think this looks cheap, in a bad way.  I kind of applaud the cheapness of it all.  In fact, it looks like some trashy elegance going on here, and it is a tone that I applaud Ullmann for taking and one I can't wait to see her develop.  Farrell, for me, was the clear standout (Chastain looks so wooden, to be honest).  I love the fiery Irishman coming out of him in every scene...and that initial voice-over was just awesome.  Color me intrigued.

And now, one that Oscar is sure to bite at...rather ferociously; The Imitation Game:


I'll be honest, I don't really know much about this story.  Until now, I didn't really have any interest in the film either, and while this trailer may be the least interesting of the five I'm discussing in this post, it is a really well cut trailer and one that certainly highlights all that we've been being told about it so far.  This is Weinstein's Oscar ticket this year, and it looks like one that could, emphasis on COULD, take him all the way.  It's been compared to A Beautiful Mind, and that feeling is captured really well here.  I am one of the few who professes a great liking for A Beautiful Mind.  I don't consider it a bad film at all, and even if I wouldn't hand it the Oscar in 2001 (especially not in that field, against In the Bedroom, Moulin Rouge! or Gosford Park), the film is far from trash and is a very, very well made film.  This looks to be a similar film; very well made, somewhat pedestrian, pure AMPAS bait and effective bait at that.  Knightley looks really good here, although I hear that she doesn't have a lot to do, but if this is a surefire Oscar ticket, I could see her sneaking into the Supporting lineup.

So...have you seen this Nightcrawler trailer yet?


So, Jake Gyllenhaal is determined to prove his career is not dead, right?  I mean, you could say that he's the male Scarlett Johansson right now.  The two of them hit that lull after their huge breakouts and so many thought they squandered potential, and while McConaughey was showboating his usual shtick in order to win an Oscar, Gyllenhall and Johansson have been building such interesting and varied bodies of work with intriguing concepts, respectable directors and characters bursting with actual range.  This looks flashy and effectively eerie, and Gyllenhaal looks afire here!  I don't think that Oscar will necessarily bite, but you never know, and despite how packed the Lead Actor category looks this year, Gyllenhaal looks to really be giving this his all.  I'm really intrigued to see how this concept plays out on the big screen.  It has a lot of potential; potential to be new and exciting and potential to be cliched and dated.  This trailer gives me a lot of hope.

And lastly, let's talk about Trash!

For some reason, I can't embed this trailer, but check it out here, for it's the most intriguing of the lot, if I'm being completely honest.  I know that Daldry as a director has become sort of an Oscar joke at this point.  He was nominated for Best Director for his first three films, and despite having his most recent output, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, all but critically panned, he still managed to get his film nominated for Best Picture.  Daldry, for me, is a very hit and miss director.  I loved Billy Elliott.  I kind of hated The Hours.  I really responded to The Reader, and continue to defend it.  Extremely Loud and Incredibly Said was a sad failure.  So...Trash should be good, right?  I have to say, I've been pegging this as our Foreign Language Film Oscar winner this year, for it's reportedly 80% (or there abouts) in Portuguese, and so it would qualify (if submitted) for Brasil.  This could be a way for the Academy to finally reward Daldry,  since they so clearly like him.

But forget all that.  The film actually looks really, really good here.  I mean, it lacks English subtitles, so other than the line "tell me your story", I have no clue what is going on here, but the ferocity of the trailer is infectious.  Apparently this has to do with some kids making a discovery in a dump and running from the cops because of it.  At this point, I'm sold.

Give me more!

How about you?  Any of these intrigue you?

10 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Susanne Bier's work as well, so will be giving that a watch. I love the trailer for Nightcrawler, looks really promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm pleased to find another fan of Bier. We are, shockingly, few in numbers, at least in this community.

      Honestly, I was impressed with all of these trailers.

      Delete
  2. This is my opinion on the trailer for Fifty Shades of Grey.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

    The trailers for Nightcrawler, Miss Julie, and The Imitation Game are intriguing while I'm not really into Susanne Bier.

    As for Trash this might be something different though I'm not a fan of Stephen Daldry at all as, with the exception of Billy Elliot, I really don't like his films. I find them to be very Oscar-baiting and at times, taking themselves way too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm with you on Shades!

      I hope Trash is good. It looks different from his usual fare...freer is that makes sense...kind of like a looser Billy Elliot...before things got so calculated and stuffy.

      Delete
  3. Now that's more like it! A Second Chance looks quite promising. Here's hoping for more CinSpec/Fisti nods for Bier in the future!

    I agree on Farrell being the standout in the trailer. Chastain looks rather forgettable.

    Nightcrawler is one I've been keeping an eye on. I don't think it'll get Oscar play, but maybe the Indie Spirits and some critics nods.

    The Imitation Game and Trash do look intriguing, though I could see both going either way with Academy voters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand all the hate Farrell was getting off of that trailer. He looks like a Fisti nominee for sure (fingers crossed!).

      Delete
    2. And a CinSpec nominee (fingers crossed)!

      Delete
    3. LOL, I can't wait to see how things look this time next year (since it takes me that long to compile my actual ballots). I love contrasting our personal ballots.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, it's fun comparing. Even when our ballots are VERY different, your choices are always SO GOOD. Love it!

      Delete
    5. Thanks. I feel the same about the CinSpecs!

      Delete