Thursday, July 17, 2014

Trailer Break: Mommy


Any follower of this site will know that I am an absolute lover of Xavier Dolan.  I've made this clear over the past year as I swooned over his last film, Laurence Anyways (technically, Tom at the Farm is his last film, but that has of yet to get a stateside release).  Since the rapturous Cannes reaction for Mommy, I've had this as my #1 anticipated film in whatever year it actually gets released over here.  This trailer has me hooked.  I've heard that the music isn't used in the film, and I will admit that the choices seem odd (although I love me some Ellie Goulding) but who cares.  This movie looks beautiful!

Of note, the film is shot at a 1:1 ratio, unlike most films that are released in theaters at 1.85.  Here is some insight, straight from Dolan's mouth, as to why he decided to shoot this in that square format.

6 comments:

  1. I finally saw it earlier today as I wanted to yesterday but I had some issues w/ my laptop due to unwanted software that was slowing my comp down and made my browser crash continuously. While I have issues with the music choices (I hate One Republic and most mainstream pop music), it does look like something I want to check out as I'm not familiar with Dolans' work. What film of his would you start with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you saw my Fisti Best Picture post a few weeks back, you'd see that I claim Laurence Anyways to be one of the ten greatest movies of all time...so I'd start there.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love me some Xavier Dolan and Ellie Goulding as well! Can't wait for this! And WHEN will get to see Tom at the Farm?! That feels so old already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the US distribution of Dolan's work is ridiculous! I need his stuff NOW!

      Delete