Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hit Me With Your Best Shot: Under the Skin


Alright, my participation in this wonderful series has been so embarrassingly spotty, but I couldn't NOT participate this week.  I almost forgot (not sure if I'm late yet) but thanks to Sati's glorious post, I was reminded that this was due today.

I'm just going to get into this.  If you haven't seen this film, see it now.  If you have seen this film, then you know why anyone who hasn't seen it needs to see it now.  There are few films I can recall that are this visceral, this haunting.

For me, it was really easy to select my favorite shot.  In fact, while watching the movie there was one moment, one look, one 'shot' that I knew when I saw it that it would last with me forever.  The reason for this is that it, for me, marked the film's thematic evolution.  It was this pivotal moment when everything that came before suddenly shifted into what was about to come.

And here it is...



It was in this moment that the alien and the human collided and paved the way for the remainder of the film to have the impact (however subjective it was) it had.  It doesn't hurt that Johansson sells this performance so effortlessly that this key scene, in all it's subtle nuances, screams so loudly.  As she stared at herself, the weight of her journey crushing down on her, I could feel the shift in her intentions, her motives and thus her journey.  This is where the film takes its shape, and without this scene it wouldn't have felt complete.

I guess this is what you'd call a segue; and a damn good one at that.

And yes, I was tempted to go with one of the countless naked Johansson pics because, well, those really were the best shots, but for Sati's sake I decided to go with something a little more...substantial ;-)

12 comments:

  1. Great choice and thank you for choosing...something like this :) Johansson's acting was really so good throughout the movie especially in close up scenes like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her expressions really did say so much. She soaked in her surroundings and allowed them to shape the course of her character beautifully.

      Delete
  2. That is an amazing choice where it's the first time the alien really sees herself as a human being and it allows her to stop and think. My favorite shot is that first bite of a chocolate cake as it says so much in doing so little. That's why I think the film will endure in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this gets the audience it deserves, but I have a feeling this will be one of those cult 'cinephile' movies that lives on forever in small pockets of passion.

      Delete
  3. Man, you made me want to see this straight away! Maybe this weekend tho we have a bunch of Blu-rays on loan, but maybe those can wait :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest can wait, I promise you.

      Delete
  4. Awesome choice...I scarcely can even recall this moment, but my memory has been so jogged since I've seen it. Definitely time for a re-watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is right after she takes the deformed young man back to her place...and she's leaving the house...and then it all just starts to spiral.

      Delete
  5. Damn both yours and Sati posts are making me want to rewatch this right away. I will agree that this is a great image Great Job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I'm glad this (and Sati's) post excited you that way!

      Delete
  6. Love it! Then again, I'd probably love any shot you chose from this movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!?! This movie was such beautiful to look at...just visually stunning!

      Delete