Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Fistful of Thoughts...about really hot actresses, really bad ideas and the future of the movies!


So, on this week was fun.  I had no idea what I was going to talk about outside of possibly Joel Edgerton's eye-liner and that new Tusk poster (which is incredible) and then today happened and a lot of stuff fell into place and the poster got bumped (but we will always have time for Edgerton) and we now have a Top Five that I'm particularly excited to talk about.

And for the record, Kirsten Dunst and Katie Holmes are BORING!  I mean, Kiki gets blasted for being anti-feminist and she simply laughs it off, and Holmes has the chance to dish big time on how crazy her ex-husband is and all she can do is say she's a devoted mother.  Yeah, I was going to talk about you but...

Moving on:


We've already talked about how incredible the cast for Hail Caesar is looking, but news has broken that Scarlett Johansson and Jonah Hill are in talks to join.  Are you kidding me with this awesomeness?  I mean, the cast was already looking so rich and so brilliant and now it is only getting that much better.  In case you need a recap, this is what the cast looks like right now (if it all pans out as hoped for):








Honestly, I feel just like Jonah Hill right now.  

THIS
IS
AMAZING!

In other 'hot chick' news, Eva Mendes allowed Ryan Gosling to knock her up.  She's denied it in the past, but she was a LIAR, because she's seven months along.  I find her to be one of the most beautiful women in the world, but pretty people can make some ugly kids (I've seen it), so I'll be anxious to see how this one comes out.

Bake well, young one.

So, now for some heavier stuff, like Christopher Nolan's philosophy on the cinema.  We get this every few months, some director scared that he'll become obsolete starts blaming things on the theater or on how the audiences are bored or whatever, but really, will we ever stop going to the movies?  Like, our local theater just renovated entirely, put in a bar and seats that literally recline until you are flat on your back staring up at the ceiling.  In other words; the theaters are trying to put us to sleep, not help us enjoy a movie.  Still, valid points are raised, sort of, but at the end of the day I really think that these directors should be more concerned with making quality films and not so concerned with HOW we are going to watch them.  We will always watch them, which is the most important thing.

OK, it's time for you to watch the trailer for Exodus if you haven't already:


Yeah, what do we think of this?  I'm torn.  I love Ridley Scott.  I really want him to have a serious comeback, and I don't mean a "Prometheus isn't as bad as you think it is" but a real "WOW, this is the Scott I remember falling in love with".

I don't think this is that moment.

Sure, this is visually outstanding.  I'm all for that rich period detail, the lush sets, those glorified costumes and those special effects that look absolutely breathtaking, but there is so much wrong going on here I can't even put it all into words.  I mean, I've been skeptical of the cast since it was announced, despite loving so many of the actors/actresses involved (EDGERTON!!!).  This looks kind of like a mess.  Moses is apparently the next Maximus, which has me worried that Scott wants so badly to recreate Gladiator that he's literally going to botch the whole thing.  Moses was not a warrior.  This is not scripture.  And yes, I stood and still stand firmly behind Noah as an incredible film despite NOT being scripturally accurate, but that was because of the incredible depth of character created.  This looks like a standardized action flick with a slew of people in brown face.

But, I'll still see it.

And lastly, let's talk about Dumbo and the fact that it is getting the live action treatment.  I'm sorry, but who thinks this is a good idea?  Anyone?  I didn't think so.  Oh, and that guy who wrote Transformers is penning it.  Yeah, you can chuck this in that very large waste-bin of BAD ideas.  How is this happening?  I mean, HOW is this happening?  Is there even one human in the movie at all?  Why are we remaking EVERY Disney movie ever made?  

JUST STOP!

16 comments:

  1. Oh man, the Gos-Mendes child is going to grow up to be the sexiest person who's ever lived after, well, Ryan Gosling.

    Idk why anyone would want to make a live-action version of Dumbo. The Disney movie is horrific enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Gosling certainly is pretty.

      Delete
  2. I don't know about Jonah Hill. I certainly didn't find him very funny in This is the End, but the rest of the cast looks good and it is the Coen Brothers so I'd be open to giving it a chance.

    The Dumbo thing seemed completely insane to me as well. It's been years since I saw and while I think there were a few human characters most of them were supporting roles without much screentime (and did any of them even get a name?). The focus was more on Dumbo himself and his interactions with the animal characters, so the idea of remaking it seems like it would just end up being loaded with lots of unconvincing CGI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Hill was pretty hilarious in This is the End, but that was far broader comedy than the Coen's are known for too. I mean, their comedy usually has a darker tone, and I look forward to seeing Hill tackle that.

      He was extraordinary in The Wolf of Wall Street.

      Dumbo...just no.

      Delete
  3. "but pretty people can make some ugly kids (I've seen it), so I'll be anxious to see how this one comes out." oh my God that's just terrible :P

    Jonah and Tatum again? This cast will go to some serious parties if they are both involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm stoked about Scarlett doing another film with the Coen Brothers. I feel like Jonah Hill as well. This will be awesome... hopefully....

    Yeah... I'm with you on the Exodus trailer as I was distracted by Joel Edgerton's bad eyeliner. I think Ridley Scott has nothing to prove anymore. He's been coasting on his own legendary status as of late and never really delivers.

    Ehren Kruger is one of the worst writers.... ever. Terry Gilliam knew that as he had to do extensive re-writes with Tony Grisoni on The Brothers Grimm yet they never got credit because of WGA rules and they weren't members of the WGA. That was just the start of many problems with that film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about ScarJo working with them back in 01. That's right. Here's to hoping this is a better film (I kind of hated that movie).

      Delete
  5. Hey Drew! I like Ridley Scott too but heh, seems that his glory days is behind him. Nope, this is definitely NOT the moment you go, 'ah he's got his mojo back.' In fact it seems to be the opposite. " Moses was not a warrior. This is not scripture." Amen! I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't have much faith in that project sadly.

    I think Eva Mendes is one of the most beautiful women in the world too! What's she doing w/ that smugboy Gosling??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, your hate for Gosling knows no bounds!

      Yeah, I'm disappointed in Scott. He used to be one of my favorite directors. It's been too long since he's delivered the goods.

      Delete
  6. That's a Ridley Scott film? whoaa i'm underwhelmed :(

    And please no Transformers-related people touching dumbo!! Really don't wreck my childhood memory :(

    If Jonah joining the cast would it be like: third time academy nominee Jonah Hill? *wink wink* i dunno that project sound (and look) awesome, and i think Hill would be good addition to that damn good cast list! (but i'm a bit scared because i usually dont like films with great cast all over (the Counselor and American Hustle are the proofs!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean about the average big cast being underwhelming, but most of those issues stem from bad scripting, and this is the Coens...so the odds are in their favor!

      Delete
  7. That cast is ridiculously awesome! SAG nomination here we come!

    LOL. "Bake well…" I can't even.

    Yeah, we'll always watch movies, but the way we watch them is less important.

    Please be good! Ridley Scott's career needs a boost, but this doesn't look like it. :(

    UGH. Not another remake/reimagining/whatever they decide to call it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cast is like my favorite thing in the world. I love it when a great director(s) can snag a really richly diverse cast. They need a few more females. Lets get Charlize Theron.

      Delete
    2. She would be such a perfect fit into their black comedic world.

      Delete