Wednesday, July 2, 2014

2013 Fisti Updates (and a poll)


Well, it's finally time to announce the official Fisti Awards for the year that was 2013.  I'm always late to publishing these because it takes me so long to see everything I want to see before finalizing my awards.  I've seen 101 films, and have reviewed them all here.  My review for The Missing Picture (film #101) will be up by the end of the week.  So, now that I have met my quota it is time to compile my awards and publish them on the 2010's Fisti Awards Page.  

To begin with, let's talk Best Picture.


I've posted my ballot on the page, but I'll go ahead and post it here as well:


This is a pretty huge year for the Fisti Awards.  It is the first year in the history of my awards watching/personal awards posting that I have a ballot of 6 Best Picture nominees.  I've always slaved over narrowing things down to 5, but I just couldn't do it this year.  The idea of having so many genres and sub-genres represented on my ballot was just too much to ignore.  Foreign, Animated, Documentary, Musical, Drama, Science Fiction, Gay, Romance...it's all here.  I couldn't bring myself to take the title Best Picture Nominee away from any of these films.

But this poses a question that I've been asking myself.  Should I move on to 6 nominees in all categories from this day forward?  I've debated this myself for a while, especially since I have this weird fixation with the number 12 and always post a Top 12 and 6 is half of 12 and so I wonder if I should have a Top 6...NOT a Top 5, but since I've always been able to narrow it down to 5 I never really gave it a lot of thought.  But here we are at that one instance where I really cannot narrow it down, and while I have narrowed down every other category, I'm wondering if I should add that one more nominee.

So, I'm leaving this up to you.  I placed a poll to the right of the blog and I want to hear your thoughts.  Should I stick to 5 nominees like I (and nearly everyone else) has been doing, or should I make that leap to 6?  I'm going to hold off on posting any more of my 2013 ballots until Monday, when the poll ends.  Once I hear back from all of you, I will make my final decision. 

Feel free to weigh in on whether or not you think this should be a one year type thing or if you want to see the Fistis in general upgraded to 6 nominees.  I will NOT alter years that are already posted, but I am always working on years future and past (currently I'm wrapping up 1987) and so if you think I should move to 6 nominees, I'll incorporate that rule to all Fisti Awards I post in the future (so 1987 would get the upgrade as well).

I'm intrigued to see what you think.

Oh yeah, and PLEASE dish on my Best Picture nominees.  You can read my reviews for the 6 lucky noms, posted below.

10 comments:

  1. I think it'd be interesting to see six movies since everyone always does five and I feel like there are cases where you just can't leave a film out. I've seen five of your six best picture nominees so I'll have to get around to watching Stories We Tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stories We Tell is marvelous! I hope you check it out soon.

      I know what you mean about those times when you just can't leave out someone. I've fudged rules before (1991 Lead Actress) but mostly I've tried to narrow it down to 5...until now.

      Thanks for the input and the vote.

      Delete
  2. Uh... where's Under the Skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, despite showing in Venice and Cannes last year, Under the Skin is a 2014 release so it won't be eligible for the 2013 Fisti Awards.

      And I haven't seen it yet :-(

      Delete
  3. Again, I LOVE that you've put 6 films in your Best Picture lineup. I like sticking to five in the other categories, but I can't fault your reasoning for including those 6 films in Best Picture. :)

    Oh, I forgot to tell you I finally watched (and loved) Enemy, which I'm sure you noticed on my "films I watched" post earlier this week. It's a major player in the Halfway CinSpecs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean. I like the idea of 5...but I also kind of like the idea of 6 (mostly because I really want to add another nominee to my Supporting Actor category).

      I'm torn...but like you, I'm leaning towards sticking with 5.

      And YAY for Enemy being a major player in the CinSpec Awards!!! Such a great movie.

      Delete
  4. I voted to switch to 6 for Best Picture, because the more the merrier. It's hard to narrow things down like that sometimes! (for me anyways)

    And I added Laurence Anyways to my Instant Queue, it's the only one out of the 6 you picked that I haven't seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are very few words that can describe my love for Laurence Anyways. It just defines what cinema is supposed to be for me.

      Delete
  5. Nice work! I’ve only seen Laurence Anyways once, and from that viewing I would call it among the ten best of the decade so far. The soundtrack with those visuals, just wow. I don’t know how he can top that film, though I’ve heard buzz that his latest Mommy (2014) is great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mommy got so much great ink out of Cannes...I'm so excited for it!

      Delete