Thursday, July 10, 2014

2013 Fisti Awards: Screenplays


So, we're pushing forward with the Fisti Awards for 2013 with the screenplays.  These were hard for me to narrow down this year, especially in Original Screenplay.  There was just so much to choose from, and so many smartly crafted screenplays that touched on subjects that are common in film yet rarely broached with such depth.  I could have gone for a top nine in Original Screenplay rather easily.

A few clarifications to the way that I look at screenplays before getting started.  I don't consider sequels to be Adapted, thus the exclusion of Before Midnight in the Adapted Screenplay category.  In all honesty, I almost fudged my own rule because I wanted to nominate it, and for me Adapted Screenplay was much weaker this year than Original (and there was just no room in Original Screenplay for it).  Now, I do consider Frozen to be Adapted (no matter how loosely), as well as Short Term 12 (which was an extension of a short film made two years prior).

With that said, here are my nominees:




So what do you think?  Who would you nominate?  Who did I snub?  Which nominee/win is your favorite?  Are you as sad as I am that there is no tie in Original Screenplay?

The acting ballots will be up next week!

4 comments:

  1. The Selfish Giant! Still stoked about that nod! :D I should've at least nominated Blue is the Warmest Color, but it was down to that or Adore, which I loved (A) and wanted to spotlight too. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are the only person I've heard say anything nice about Adore. I wanted to see it and then it got slammed by everyone and so I put it out of my mind. LOL. I'll have to catch it soon.

      Delete
    2. Alex of And So It Begins was also a fan. His review actually made me seek out the film. He even gave it an honorable mention in his top 10 post.

      http://www.andsoitbeginsfilms.com/2014/01/top-10-films-of-2013.html

      Delete
    3. I'll have to check that out, as well as the movie now!

      Delete