Wednesday, July 9, 2014

2013 Fisti Awards: Film Editing


Moving along in the Fisti Awards, let's take a minute to talk about Film Editing.  A film is truly made or broken in the editing room, because this is where the whole tone of a film can be created.  If scenes are too long they can lose their impact, but if they are too short they can lack all impact desired.  It takes a really keen eye, one attune to what the director is looking for, to make something stellar out of the miles of film they are given.

Oscar tends to go for the VERY flashy here, or default to the Best Picture frontrunners, but as you'll see from my lineup, I only nominate two of my Best Picture nominees here, and none of my nominees are particularly flashy (with one notable exception).  While films like American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street had a lot of style gracing their scenes, they were films that suffered from a little too much film.

Also, I want to note that for a while I was taken in by the severe editing style used for Captain Phillips, and it was a nominee (and a contender for the Fisti) for quite some time.  But then I rewatched the film and it became clear to me that the editing, while edgy and very notable, was just not enough.  The film needed a tighter rein.  I love the movie, but it's about twenty minutes too long, especially on a second watch.

So, this is what I came up with:



What are your thoughts?  Who did I snub?  Which film are you surprised to see included?  Which films make your ballot?

13 comments:

  1. Can I just say...Best. GIF. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Emma Watson gif was my most texted gif of 2013 FYI

    Definitely in agreement with some seriously great editing with Frances Ha, Bling Ring and especially Fruitvale Station. Despite knowing how the whole movie would end, it still gave me a minor anxiety attack...no movie has ever done that. Unfortunate for me, but impressive nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the editing of Fruitvale is so underrated, and it's sad. That movie had the unfortunate task of making us care about a bunch of stuff we knew wouldn't matter in the end, and we were glued from start to finish, despite knowing the conclusion.

      Delete
  3. Great picks all around. I also thought the editing of The Bling Ring was spot on. It was very careful what to include and how to include it, which I appreciated. Definitely can't argue your Stories We Tell win. Such a well crafted film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bling Ring was so expertly spliced. It just hit all the right marks, scene for scene.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for review, it was excellent and very informative.
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for review, it was excellent and very informative.
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! Stories We Tell was brilliantly edited, but I thought the film dragged in the second half. I love that we used the same image for The Bling Ring in our awards. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's possibly my favorite image from all of 2013.

      Delete
  7. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website.
    Qassim & QU

    ReplyDelete