Monday, June 23, 2014

Let's take a moment to appreciate Joel Edgerton...

That's quite a long career you have ahead of you!
Well, today is the 40th birthday of my current Australian import obsession, Joel Edgerton.  Yes, if you follow me here, you've probably heard me gush a few times about Edgerton.  I just find him supremely talented and quite a nice thing to look at.  I've been bullish on his career for a while now, awaiting him to break through completely and cement his status as the one we all want to watch.  I was hopeful that his remarkable turn in The Great Gatsby would have done that, but no one really remembers that film.  He needs his Gladiator, fast, but I don't think his current collaboration with Ridley Scott (Exodus) will do that trick.

Still, his filmography speaks for itself, and it's got a lot of people talking!

It's kind of appropriate that Edgerton is turning 40 today.  He's been the deemed successor to Russell Crowe (at least in my mind) for about a year now, and my Crowe obsessions, while born in 2000, was completed and full throttle early 2004 when I realized he wasn't nominated for the Oscar (for his magnificent work in Master & Commander: the Far Side of the World) and was actually pained in my gut, making me finally aware that I was obsessed in a way I've never been before.

Crowe turned 40 in 2004.

So, on this day I'm going to be thinking about this incredible actor and contemplating where his career is headed, how much range he's bound to display, when he'll win his Oscar and when I'll see him naked.

Because you're never truly famous until the world has seen you naked.

8 comments:

  1. Oooh I like Joel Edgerton! He's good looking but not in a pretty boy kind of way. He really impressed me in Warrior and also The Great Gatsby. Wish he had been Tom Buchanan in the Toby Stephens version, he'd be a better match for him as Gatsby I think.

    I have to say that he looks funny as a Pharaoh, I mean come on! I'm curious about Exodus but the casting is questionable.

    Ahah, you want to see him naked?? I actually don't want to see the actors I like naked, I prefer to have some things left to the imagination, mwahahaha!

    – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I want to see everyone naked.

      And yes, he looks ridiculous as Pharaoh, but I'll wait to see the finished product before judging. He's also exceptional in Wish You Were Here. He just has this gruff suave nature that I love.

      Delete
  2. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see people naked... unless it's the entire Kartrashian family... EW!!!!

    I like Joel Edgerton. One of my favorite performances he did is in Kinky Boots where he was a great foil for Chiwetel Ejiofor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'd be afraid for my eyes to see Kim or Bruce naked, for sure, but I'd probably look at the rest of the 'legal' ones.

      I need to see Kinky Boots. I forgot he was in that!

      Delete
  3. I hope he gets that one role the Academy can't ignore. I'm dying to nominate him and Tom Hardy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to nominate him this year, but to do so I'd have to be bias, and I try really hard not to be!

      Delete
  4. I think he's majorly talented and was excellent in Warrior--he blows Tom Hardy's posturing off the screen.

    I can't agree with you on his The Great Gatsby perf though. He's fun to watch but completely misunderstands the character. Buchanan should be an emotional thug, but on the surface he's an old money socialite. Unfortunately, Edgerton plays him as the least likely WASP of all time. It's like he inappropriately decided to transplant his stage Stanley Kowalski accent onto Buchanan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was certainly the best lead in Warrior. I thought he was exceptional, and it was the film that really made me take note.

      I loved him in Gatsby. He brought a brute ferocity to the role but never felt out of place to me. He cleaned up so beautifully and felt like old money, but spoiled and reckless old money. I had just read the novel and so I liked the play on the character.

      But I do understand that I'm in the minority.

      Delete