Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Fistful of Thoughts...about old men, casting couches and bad gay taste!


So, I'm sure that most people are going to be talking about two things this week, the passing of Eli Wallach and the ranting of Gary Oldman.  You can't help it.  They are two huge pieces of news, but sadly more will be said about Oldman's mouth than Wallach's impressive body of work.

We'll talk about both...and then move on:


So, yes, I got the devastating news about Wallach's passing last night while binge watching Fargo.  It raised the awareness of my hyper-active mind, since I can't just sit there and watch anything anymore.  I constantly have to be checking Twitter or tweeting my thoughts on something or pulling up IMDB to see who it was that I swear I recognized say one word before getting shot.  Anyways, while tweeting something about episode 5 I saw the countless "R.I.P." tweets regarding the passing of the legend himself and felt this sadness come over me.

I mean, we shouldn't be devastated, since he was 98 (and that is one FULL life), but death sucks, period.  I hate that we are losing legends (and some legends in the making), but it is a part of life.

I'll always remember Wallach, mostly for his tremendous turn in The Misfits, but his filmography is vast and quite impressive, and the fact that he was working right up till his death was also really commendable.

What's your favorite Wallach turn?

Moving on from one old man to another, let's just get this Gary Oldman thing out of the way.


So, news broke the other day that Gary Oldman had unleashed a fury of explosive opinions during an interview with Playboy (of all magazines) and these remarks have gotten him a lot of heat.  Let's paraphrase a few of them:
'I don't know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we've all said those things.
'We're all f***ing hypocrites. That's what I think about it.
'The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n***** or that f***ing Jew?
'I'm being brutally honest here. It's the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy.

'Or maybe I should just strike that and say "the N word" and "the F word," although there are two F words now.'
'Alec calling someone an F-A-G in the street while he's pissed off coming out of his building because they won't leave him alone. I don't blame him. So they persecute.
'Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him - and doesn’t need to feed him anymore because he’s got enough dough.
'He’s like an outcast, a leper, you know?

'But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn’t turned and said, “That f***ing kraut” or “F*** those Germans,” whatever it is? We all hide and try to be so politically correct. That's what gets me.'
'We all hide and try to be so politically correct.

That’s what gets me. It’s just the sheer hypocrisy of everyone, that we all stand on this thing going, “Isn’t that shocking?”'
I love how he even talks about how he doesn't have an Oscar because he isn't into campaigning and that the Globes are a complete joke and should be boycotted, and yet those are the least interesting aspects of his interview...and this is a FILM site!

Two things are pretty obvious here.  First, Oldman has absolutely NO filter.  He just says whatever the hell he wants to say and feels that it should be acceptable.  Second, he's going to be crucified for this.  Here's the thing; I think that Oldman should invest in a filter, because even if you have a point, talking like a bitter a-hole isn't going to get that point across.  No one will ever focus on the point because they will be too busy trying to cut through your delivery.  I won't go on and defend half of what he says here, but he does have a sliver of a point, or at least raises a good discussion.

We see this happen all the time.  In fact, we just talked about this with regards to Jonah Hill.  Celebrities aren't allowed to spout off dumb crap whenever they want, because we are always watching them, recording them, quoting them, discussing them and judging them.  A lot of times, this is unfair.  Celebrities are normal human beings.  They get frustrated and say things they don't really mean.  They get drunk and say things they really should say.  They have MANY moments where they wish that they could just disappear and not be constantly reminded of all the screw ups.  But, when you and I screw up, we get reminded of it by a few people (mostly our significant other)...but when a celebrity screws up they are reminded of it by EVERYONE!

Is Mel Gibson a racist?  I don't know.  Is Oldman?  I don't know.  Both of them should learn to shut their mouths, but I love the fact that Oldman's rant AGAINST hypocrites (and yes, I agree that most people who judge others ARE hypocrites) labeling you is going to get those same people to label him.

But, he's since recanted (or apologized) and I kind of wish he hadn't because this apology is so...weak.

Speaking of weak recants, so we talked about Sondheim's claims that Into the Woods is getting butchered.  Well, apparently it's not.  I'm sorry, but this just sounds so...stupid:
When the conversation with the teachers occurred, I had not yet seen a full rough cut of the movie. Coincidentally, I saw it immediately after leaving the meeting and, having now seen it a couple of times, I can happily report that it is not only a faithful adaptation of the show, it is a first-rate movie.
I'm sorry...you hadn't seen it so you talked about it and then IMMEDIATELY went out and saw it and now say that what you said moments before actually seeing the movie was wrong.  I have a feeling that he breached some sort of agreement with Disney when he spoke out of turn and is afraid of being sued.

UGH, whatever.  

Let's talk about the Coen Brothers new movie!  Um, it's called Hail Caesar and it's a noir type comedy about 1950's Hollywood...and this cast is DELICIOUS!  First, word broke that they snagged Clooney and Brolin.  Now, I've had by beef regarding Clooney in the past, but his only Fisti nomination comes from his collaboration with the Coens on O Brother, Where Art Thou, and I've been waiting for them to really utilize his comedic talents again.  They've worked together since, but never to such heights.  But, then they added Channing Tatum to the mix as a Gene Kelly-type actor!  This is PERFECT CASTING!  I'm so all in for this Tatumania that is being born.  I've been waiting for him to tap into his true potential, and it's starting.  But it gets better.  Now Swinton and Fiennes have been added!  Swinton is a goddess, and after The Grand Budapest Hotel, I want Ralph Fiennes in EVERY comedy.







I'm serious people, is this not the greatest cast in any film in like the history of forever?

Ok, and lastly, The Advocate has released their 175 (why that number?) most essential films for LGBT audiences, and it sucks.  I mean, I hate to throw stones at a glass house, but what the hell is this?  Number one is so obvious it's cliched (let's give top placement to the only gay movie that everyone has heard of) but after that the choices range from cringe worthy (Philadelphia) to bizarre (Fried Green Tomatoes) to completely reaching (Thelma and Louise) to 100% WTF (X-Men).  On a list like this, without a single Xavier Dolan film and brilliance like Happy Together ranks below flying mutants, I'm out.

Like, what is this?

18 comments:

  1. I heard about Eli Wallach's death this morning. I loved his performance in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oldman's rant made me want to punch him in the face. I agree to some extent, we've all said things we are not proud of, but he said all of this shit to an interviewer. For a major magazine. Wtf did he think was going to happen? That people were going to be like "Gee, that Gary Oldman is so right! Bless him for speaking his mind!"

    Ugh.

    Speaking of binge watching Fargo. I really need to finish that. I think I have about 5 episodes left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean...some of what Oldman is saying (or I think trying to say) is kind of right...but the way he said it all is distracting, insulting and makes him look like a terrible bigot, which is kind of alarming.

      I hear that he is a bear to work with, so maybe he is just expressing his true colors.

      Fargo is SOOOOOO good. I've been trying to take it all in this week. I have two episodes left, which I'll finish off tonight.

      Delete
  3. Tuco is my favorite Eli Wallach performance as it's his most iconic. The man is just awesome. I loved him in pretty much any film I've seen him do. Even the bad movies like Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps where he was the best thing in that awful piece of shit. At 98, that is a fucking accomplishment.

    I wouldn't take the whole Gary Oldman interview seriously though I think Mel Gibson should be forgiven. Besides, it's from some irrelevant magazine that shows a bunch of air-brushed barbie dolls and lame articles that people could care less about.

    Channing Tatum in Hail Caesar. I wasn't a Tatum fan a few years ago as I openly dissed him. Yet, after 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike, I take back everything I ever said about him. Plus, I wanna be a Tatumaniac brother. Say my prayers, eat my vitamins, train and... oh wait, that's some other guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wallach really kept it up until the end, which is pretty awesome.

      LOL, remember when husbands around the world would try and claim that they looked at Playboy for the articles! That's like saying they go to Hooters for the wings.

      No, you don't.

      Also, I'm all in for Tatumania! Channing is coming, and he's coming hard!

      Delete
  4. Wow...Gary Oldman...interesting...I think Brittani's reaction fits mine best. I gave The Advocate's list the once over and rolled my eyes. I'm not part of the LGBT audience, but if I were I'd be offended at their #1. It sucks. There, I said it. Again. Of the 30 or so of those movies I've seen it's among the three worst, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oldman really should have just shut up. I wonder if there was any point in the interview when he was like "whoops, shouldn't have said that...what the hell, let's just go with it" because there had to have been that moment of hesitation, right?

      Yeah, I'm not a member of that community either, but that list is an eyesore. I truly love Brokeback Mountain, but it's #1 placement just seems so forced. It's a great film, and I understand that it was a breakout film for the community (and it's loss to the abysmal Crash was horrid), but it is not the best gay themed film out there.

      But that list oddly doesn't seem to care about gay themes.

      Delete
  5. Wallach's passing isn't unexpected, but it still stings. He gave some great performances, including The Misfits, Baby Doll, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. My favorite might actually be his sweet turn in The Holiday.

    I feel the same about Oldman's comments. We don't know celebrities, but we force them to be on their guard all the time. It seems like he has a point, though he sure went about expressing it poorly.

    I don't know much about Into the Woods, but I hope Sondheim was being genuine. A darker film sounds great.

    I know, right? That Coen cast is AMAZING! I can't wait! (I wonder if Tatum will reap awards soon like McConaughey.)

    No Dolan or Happy Together? And why isn't Weekend in the top 10? Blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved him in The Holiday!

      Poor Oldman...

      The script I read was heavily sanitized, so I hope that it was an early draft that was recut...but if it was then I don't see it doing well with families, which is their target audience.

      LOL, I have a feeling that Tatum will be winning an Oscar in the next five years.

      Yeah, that list is a total mess.

      Delete
  6. Oldman got carried away but some of the stuff he said was true. It's the fact he issued an apology that's kinda ridiculous, given how it plays right into what he said he was against.

    The whole thing is actually hilarious, count on celebrities to make stuff interesting with their rants in interviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...his apology is kind of the worst part out of all of this.

      Delete
  7. Just discovered this fabulous site via your kindred amazon review for "Enemy", funny how things work in this modern world. Anyhoo, as to the Oldman apology, he had no choice on that one. The very Jewish bosses he referred to in his unfiltered rant are also looking at a big budget blockbuster opening now (Apes) for which Oldman needs to do junkets, not rant and distract from the movie. It sucks, but that's the biz and one need only look at Mel to see what happens when you disobey too often. Having dealt with both professionally, I found neither to be offensive, rude or difficult. I was fairly giddy at reading Oldman's tirade but knew he would regret that. And on another oddly serendipitous track, I just watched Brokeback Mountain again, before stumbling onto this site...more moving and beautiful than I even remembered, which is saying a lot. For me, that's not a "gay themed" film as much as it is a timeless and tragic love story that happens to be about two men. I thank god Ang Lee ended up being the director, because it floated around Hollywood for AGES before being made and he treated it with such respect and love...still feeling the heartache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my site! Hope you stop by often!

      Brokeback is great, and I've always said it was a universal love story that appeals and applies to all people. Couldn't agree more!

      Delete
  8. I agree with what Sati said concerning Oldman. There was truth in a lot of what he said, but it certainly could've been filtered a little bit. Still, these feeble apologies are almost excruciating. It's like... just move on.

    Also, Philadelphia is cringe worthy? Man, we're gonna have some differing opinions for the Tom Hanks post haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of LOATHE Philadelphia, especially Hanks awful performance (like, you thought I hated High Noon...just you wait).

      I don't think Forrest Gump is much better either.

      That panel is going to be loads of fun!

      Delete
  9. Oh Fisti, finally someone else who does NOT drink the Hanks Kool-Aid! I am usually alone in that boat...please, enough of him already. A silly rom-com? Sure. Deep, heavy work? Just, no. And either way, saturation point was long since met for me. Next! I love Demme's older films (Something Wild and Married to the Mob) and liked Silence enough, but I wish he'd go back to his more oddball choices.

    This makes me wonder whether there might be others out there who hate the Beatles as much as I do too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I think Hanks is a decent comedic actor, and really liked him in Big and That Thing You Do and A League of Their Own, but his dramatic work (Captain Phillips aside) is usually bloated and overdone.

      Delete