Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Fistful of Thoughts...about film inspired scandal, upcoming projects and the greatest movie poster I've ever seen!


Alright, it was about time we get on with another one of these!  This has been an interesting week.  I've heard of some crazy shit before, but something that took place this week (or at least was uncovered this week) may possibly take the cake for the craziest thing I've ever heard of in my life.  In fact, it's so crazy that I think I may actually use it for myself.  Like, why the fuck didn't I think of this first?


So first, let's talk about Leviathan.  Coming off of that Cannes win (for Screenplay) and all the critical support, you'd think that it would be smooth sailing and Oscar prospects for Zvyangintsev's (the brilliant director behind The Return and Elena) latest film, but homeland scandal may cause it to be ineligible.  Yup, apparently the censors are going into overdrive in Russia.  A new law, which became effective June 1st, is making it possible for companies who show films breaking this law that regulates profanity in films to be fined up to 100,000 rubles (roughly $2913 US dollars) for repeat offenses.  So, despite the raves and the overall anticipation for the film, it may never actually get distributed in Russia, and if that is the case then even if it comes to the States this year, it will not be eligible for the Foreign Film Oscar.  As we saw with Blue is the Warmest Color last year, that means you are D.O.A.

This bothers me.  Censorship is something that is a tricky subject, but when it comes to the arts I really think that it is a hindrance and doesn't do much good.  This is going to create more problems than anything else.

And now, for the greatest story in the history of time itself.  Seriously, I can't wait.  I was going to try and put this last but I can't wait.

How much do you love Frozen?  Enough to divorce your spouse over?  Well, over in Japan a woman is so obsessed with this film that when her husband questioned its quality she said, and I quote:
"If you can’t understand what makes this movie great, there’s something wrong with you as a human being!"

It gets better.  She is now pushing for a divorce!   I just can't with all the awesomeness here.  I mean, I've seen people get all up in arms about their favorite films before, but this is just too much.  The husband, so distraught over his wife's actions (she demanded a divorce and went to live with her parents), had to turn to an online marriage advice forum for help.  I'll help you.  Bitch is CRAZY!  Divorce her, ASAP.

And then we have this:


Now, I actually thought that this was a legit international poster for some movie I hadn't heard of before, and I was incredibly excited that some disruption company overseas thought it was a good idea to call Franco and Rogen 'capitalist pigs', but it appears that this is the legit US poster for the film.  It's still fucking hilarious.

Alright, now we have two projects that could be in the works that grab my interest in two varying ways.

First, it looks like Fincher and Mara are circling another thriller, this time an adaptation of Red Sparrow.  I'm obviously in, since Fincher is one of my favorite things about film, but I'm also kind of out since this seems too familiar.  Why not finish the 'Girl...' series first?  I know that that idea is getting shelved (damn you Daniel Craig) but if you aren't going to finish that up, why get into a very similarly toned film (and this even has torture and rape with inanimate objects, or so I'm told).


But get a new screenwriter, please.  American Hustle's biggest problem was that horrible screenplay!

But now for a film idea that I'm 100% game for.  Remember Animal Kingdom?  If you don't remember, you should reacquaint yourselves with it, since it was one of the best films of 2010.  David Michod (who made his directorial debut with that film) has expressed a desire to revisit the characters in the form of a sequel...AND a prequel!  Prequel means more Joel Edgerton and Ben Mendelsohn (since they died in Animal Kingdom) and that makes me a VERY happy camper.  A sequel could be quite interesting, since I'm pretty anxious to know what happens to this dysfunctional family now that their dysfunction has been partially eradicated, but I'm so anxious for Edgerton to continue to expand his cinematic awesomeness that I really want that prequel, like tomorrow!

How about you?  What do you think of these two projects?  



7 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hope Leviathan qualifies for the Oscars. Still, it could be up for BAFTA, Globe and maybe even Cesar nods.

    I didn't think it was possible to love a film that much. I have no words...

    That Internship poster is genius! I hope the film is just as funny.

    I'll take what I can get, but I'd prefer another 'Girl' film. All Craig has done since Dragon Tattoo is Skyfall, and he's only got the next Bond coming up. I wish they'd make it happen.

    YES!!! Animal Kingdom is awesome! It just missed my top 5 that year, but it got a few CinSpec nods. A prequel and/or sequel would be great, especially seeing Edgerton and Mendelsohn return for the prequel. I want this movie(s) now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I meant 'Interview' poster. I'm getting my comedies mixed up. :)

      Delete
    2. Those Animal Kingdom films are going to be epic (I hope).

      I really, truly WANT to love a movie so much it makes me divorce my wife...but I just can't...not yet.

      Craig needs to pick up his game. Stop banging his beautiful wife and swooning over their children and staring at his impeccable physique in the mirror and living off his millions and just WORK!

      Delete
  2. I want to see Levianthan as I'm interested in the work of that filmmaker. I also want to see The Interview. I would totally want to see Red Sparrow> though I do agree with you about the need for another screenwriter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that screenwriter is a bad omen.

      Delete
  3. I love your Fistful Thoughts series Drew! Heh, that Japanese girl is obviously insane! Divorcing someone over a MOVIE? Seriously, I think her husband should be happy to be rid of HER!

    – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, right! That's insane and yet I'm so happy that it is happening because it is the greatest thing I've ever heard in my life!

      I'm glad you like these. I love compiling them. There is just so much to talk about :-D

      Delete