Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Fifth Element...is true BlockBUSTED awesomeness!


When Girl Meets Cinema posted her latest Blogathon at the beginning of the month, I knew exactly what I was going to write about.  B-Grade movies were such a huge part of my teenage years, because they were just so appealing to the average teenage boy.  Things explode, girls are scantily clad, guns are huge and oftentimes the monsters/aliens are just really freaking cool.

For me, there has always been one B movie that is supreme over all the rest, simply because it kind of has everything.



Director Luc Besson wrote this script while he was in high school, taking every `element' he loved so much about science fiction and creating a Frankenstein type creature; an amalgam of all that is `sci-fi'. With that said, `The Fifth Element' works extremely well for what it is, which is nothing more than cheesy B-Grade sci-fi entertainment. It's not supposed to be intellectual or moving; it's supposed to be fun, and `fun' it certainly is. It has all the `elements' that make up sure-fire entertainment. There is high speed chase scenes, big-dumb aliens, big-bad weapons, the mysterious hot chick, intense action sequences, great special effects, the token `funny' guy (bet you thought I was going another route there) and above all else; Bruce `freaking' Willis. 


I'll just get this out of the way right now; I have been a fan of Willis for years. If there is any actor I feel that goes unrecognized for what he does, it is Bruce. Why oh why do critics across the country feel that the only performances worth recognizing are the dramatic, emotional ones? What law out there says that the action genre is not plum for the picking? Bruce Willis is `god' in the action world. There is no other action star that can do what he does. I would have handed him an Oscar nomination a long time ago (`Die Hard' anyone). 

Sadly, he hasn't ever even been nominated. 

Here Willis is once again our hero. Korben Dallas is a cab driver in the future (the year 2263 to be exact) who ends up biting off more than he can chew (is there anything really too much for Bruce to handle?) when a beautiful woman falls, literally, into his cab. This stranger is Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sabat, or Leeloo for short. Leeloo just so happens to be the only hope for human civilization. She is the supreme being, the perfect woman; the fifth element. With the aid of Korben as well as Father Vito Cornelius, Leeloo takes off on an adventure against the darkest of evil. 


Milla Jovovich is marvelous here as Leeloo. She is everything that her character needed to be; exotic, beautiful and dangerous. The very fact alone that she learnt an entirely made up language and `mastered' it adds major brownie points indeed. Gary Oldman is the perfect bad guy here; evil genius to a T, and Ian Holm was a nice touch (love this guy). Chris Tucker is hilarious as Ruby Rhod, the worlds favorite media darling. Remember when Chris Tucker was a great addition to any film (oh, how things have changed for him). Whoever says that comedy isn't an art form is blind. And then we have Bruce; good ol' Bruce. What can I say? Willis is the greatest working action star and he never fails to bring the goods. 

Like I said, `The Fifth Element' is one nonstop fun filled ride complete with every `element' that makes these B-Grade sci-fi films so entertaining.  Sure, if you're expecting a masterfully crafted and profound film that will stimulate your mind then you are looking in the wrong place, but if you just want to turn your mind off and have a blast with your friends this Saturday night then look no further than `The Fifth Element'.

Don't let critics and their narrow-minds keep you away from this film.  To them, all I have to say is...

10 comments:

  1. Such a great pick! The Fifth Element is one of my favorite sci-fi films. The story is unique, the cast is awesome, and the special-effects are good. Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! So glad you liked my pick! I love this movie, obviously, and your blogathon was just so much fun to be a part of.

      Delete
  2. Great pick Drew! No wonder this movie has gained a cult status, it's perhaps one of Luc Besson's best. Lots of memorable roles here, including Gary Oldman's hair, ahah.

    – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, his hair really was it's own character! I forgot how much I adored this until I rewatched it the other night. Just so damn good!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, nice choice man! I haven't seen this in ages, but I remember it being a lot of fun. How can you not love Bruce Willis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fucking love this movie. It's my 2nd favorite film by Luc Besson and certainly his most entertaining. I love the art direction, the off-the-wall humor, the fact that it refuses to take itself so seriously, and most of all, Chris Tucker screaming like a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling you'd love this! LOL, Tucker was marvelous here. This is such an inspired take on Sci-Fi and shows Besson did his homework.

      Delete
  5. God, I love this movie. I watch it every single time it's on TV. Awesome choice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather perfect, right! I mean, it kind of never gets old.

      Delete