Monday, May 5, 2014

Five for the Fifth: or my answers to Ruth's questions for the month...


It's already May (where has this year gone?) and it's officially the 5th, and Ruth has offered up another set of interesting questions that range from TV to famous franchises to voluptuous Latinos with a famous couple and a movie trailer thrown in for good measure.

So let's get crackin'!


1) What’s your favorite Salma Hayek film?


This is probably going to come off as strange to some of you, but I'm not really a Salma Hayek fan.  I don't think she's a very good actress and I don't really find her all that attractive either.  I know, I'm crazy.  Even my wife says I'm crazy about the attractiveness.  She thinks Hayek is stunning.  That being said, there was a moment in time when I found Hayek talented, and that was alongside Colin Farrell in the little seen Ask the Dust.  It's such a grounded and earthy performance that works really well and keeps you locked in, despite some of the cliches in the plotting.  I remember being genuinely impressed with her most of all, which says a lot for someone genuinely unimpressed with her all the way around.

2) So are you happy with the Star Wars casting announcement? Which actor/actress you wish had been cast in Star Wars Episode VII?


I'm a fan of the first three films (technically films 4-6) but never really embraced the newest films.  They were just missing something.  That being said, I'm kind of excited for this only because I really like what Abrams has done with Star Trek, so I have faith that he can insert some life into this franchise.  I am kind of prepared to be disappointed though.  But we're here to talk about the cast.  I don't really know anyone in the cast outside of Oscar Isaac (who I'm indifferent to), Domhnall Gleeson (who I wish was his father), Any Serkis (who will probably play an alien) and Max von Sydow (who will obviously play some sinister villain, if he doesn't die before the film wraps up) and so I can't say that I'm all that excited about it.  Sydow is always a welcomed presence though, so I'm happy to see him here, and the returning cast should be fun.  I mean, I didn't even know that Mark Hamill was still alive, so yay for him.

Now, if we're talking about actors who should have gotten a role in the franchise, I'm not sure.  I mean, it would be nice to have some more female characters.  I don't understand why the world looks at action films as being solely male driven projects, when history (and even this particular franchise) has given us remarkable female characters.  Maybe Natalie Portman's horrendous performances in the last three films has sullied the franchise beyond repair.

LOL, I mean, even Daisy Ridley's character is described as 'Silent Witness'.  

3) What do you think of Ida?


OMG!  I need this movie in my life, RIGHT NOW!  This looks stunning.  Shoot this up to the top of my most anticipated list of the year.  Haunting is right.

4) What do you think of Jolie-Pitt’s teaming up again and/or which other real-life couple’s collaboration are you a big fan of? 


I really loved their pairing in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.  I thought they oozed to much chemistry, so I'm intrigued to see what this story is about and how they use their obvious chemistry to their advantage.  I will always be a fan of the Taylor/Burton pairings, even if all of them didn't work as wonderfully as they could have.  Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf alone is one of the all time greatest onscreen pairings ever put to film.  

This can be hard to gauge today because most celebrities will date during the filming of their movie and then breakup afterwards, but one of the greatest recent (or sort of recent) onscreen/offscreen pairings is Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams in Brokeback Mountain.  They were just remarkable together, and it is sad that their love dwindled, their marriage crumbled and eventually his life ended.  

5) So which TV shows do you want to see a comeback, whether as a special TV event or a movie format?


I really need to watch more television.  I've bitched at myself about this often.  I swear you've asked a question like this before though Ruth!  I can't find it so I'm probably wrong.  Anyways. I've always wanted to see The Sopranos return to us in a film version, but the passing of James Gandolfini has crushed that dream.  I just don't want to see it happen, even if it were possible (and it is possible).  Also, the news that Friends will NEVER go to the big screen also crushes that dream.  So, I'll use this as an opportunity to gush over my all time favorite childhood memory coming back to hug me once again...Boy Meets World!!!!

Yes, Girl Meets World is coming, bitches, and I couldn't be more excited!  Now this is a TV show I will be watching, and with my daughter which makes this all the more amazing.  I loved Boy Meets World.  I grew up with it.  I remember getting my personal invitation to the Cory and Topanga wedding, and I was in the front row!

I can't wait for this!

3 comments:

  1. What the fuck did Cory do to his nose? That thing is a full on triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Ooh, Ask the Dust is an interesting choice. I really need to watch that already.

    2. I forget what else is coming out next year, but I'm most excited for Pan and Star Wars. The prequels were a letdown, but the cast and Abrams have me intrigued. I'll be first in line next December!

    3. Ida looks wonderful! Can't wait!

    4. Jolie and Pitt had perfect chemistry in MAMS. I couldn't agree more about Burton and Taylor in Virginia Woolf.

    5. Girl Meets World doesn't look very good, but I'll definitely check it out. Boy Meets World was must-watch TV back in the day. I just hope we see some other characters from the original series in the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I've never even heard of Ask the Dust before so thanks Drew for mentioning that. I gotta find that somewhere. As for not being a fan despite her sheer sexy-ness, I get that. I can be blase about some actors most girls find attractive, in fact you already know I don't find Ryan Gosling to be even remotely attractive, I don't care how buff his body gets, to me it's so not about the physique.

    Ahah, well I don't think Natalie Portman was worse than Hayden Christensen but they STILL cast male actors ;-)

    Glad to be the one introducing IDA to you. I'm very curious to see that as well.

    I still need to see at least one Taylor/Burton but I take your word for it they made a great pair.

    Ahah, I've never seen Boy Meets World but hope that happens for you!

    Thanks for taking part Drew! You rock!

    ReplyDelete