Monday, May 12, 2014

Favorite Movie Titles Blogathon


I love blogathons.  They give me something to do to stretch myself and my blog and offer me new and fun interactive ways to get to know my blogging community better.  I've tried my hand at hosting twice, and with the success I had with the last one I'm anxious to do it again (but that won't be coming until this fall).  More than hosting, I LOVE participating, and so when the rest of us bloggers forced Brittani's hand over at Rambling Film, I was thrilled.  Yup, Brittani is hosting her very first blogathon, so everyone play along so she'll do this again!

The rules are simple:

1) Going through the alphabet, list your favorite movie title beginning with each letter.

2) You don't have to necessarily like the movie to use it's title.

3) Use the banner at the top of this post in yours. 
4) Please have submissions in by Friday, May 23rd. (But I'll be honest, if you send them to me after that date, I'll still add them to my post.)

So, this was harder than I thought it was going to be.  I even decided to stick only to films I've seen...and then only to films that I've reviewed at some point in time...but I currently have 3,346 reviews on my Amazon account and 90% of those are movies...so it's safe to say that this was taking way too long.  I started with the 20's and worked my way up through to the early 90's before I started getting antsy and decided to jump around and just SETTLE.  Some letters were just so hard.

But I want to talk about the letter E for a minute, because it was easily the hardest letter for me to finalize.  Well, it was the easiest and the hardest.  The obvious (and only correct answer) is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which could possibly be the greatest film title of all time, but it hurt like hell to deny film titles like Every Dawn I Die or The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds or Eyes Without a Face!  The letter alone is a bounty of awesome.

I also want to say that I stuck with the English translations for film titles, to make it easier.  It would have been nice to waver, only because the options for j were just so bland, and The Virgin Spring's real title is Jungfrukallan, which is all sorts of awesome, but alas.  Films that are only referred to by their native titles (like Onibaba, which is also awesome) are NOT translated here.  In other words, I went with the title we use here in America.

Let's just get it done, shall we!





























Now, I did not allow personal feelings about films to enter into the equation here, but the fact of the matter is that I really like most all of these, and a great amount of them I actually love.  The only film here I actively hate is A Kiss Before Dying, but that title is just too perfect.

Thank you so much Brittani for hosting this!  I'm pretty sure that I'm happy with my selections, even though I'm sure I'll want to tweak these tomorrow, and as the rest of our fellow bloggers post their picks, I'll see many that I didn't think of and wish I had, but overall I'm really happy with these and hope that you like them!

18 comments:

  1. This looks lovely! Thank you so much for participating. Now I'm in "Damn it, why didn't I think of that title?" mode. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! This was a great idea for a blogathon, and so much fun. I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

      Delete
  2. Ooh this sounds like a great idea! I hope I can participate but I can't promise you as I have lots to plan for my Europe trip in 2 weeks. Otherwise I'll just do it when I come back in June :D – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Europe is TOP priority! I hope you can play along though. Brittani did say she'd add a link to all posts that are late, regardless, so even if you can't play till June, she'll include it!

      Delete
  3. Those are good fucking choices as I already finished mine which I'll publish tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your choices!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic picks man! It'll be hard to top these, but I'll do my best. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  5. Great picks! Love that still for The Virgin Spring (and The Unbearable Lightness of Being... whoa). Can't wait to take part in this blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if you haven't seen Unbearable Lightness of Being yet...you should ;-)

      Delete
  6. A pretty good selection of film titles. Arsenic and Old Lace was a great, although really weird title and a hilarious movie. Dr. Strangelove also seems to be a popular choice, since I keep seeing that one pop up a lot on different people's entries.

    I do feel I should point out the way you've formatted the text, it is a bit hard to read in some of the pictures, which may be in part because I could never read cursive but some of the titles did seem to blend in with the background.

    If it's of any interest, I started a blogathon of my own. Perhaps you'd like to try it out:

    http://hitchcocksworld.blogspot.ca/2014/05/favorite-movie-scenes-blogathon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you couldn't read every image. I tried to make it flashy ;-)

      I'll definitely check out your blogathon. I'll be out of town for half the week, but when I return I'll give it a look! Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  7. Great choices Fisti. Some of these I've never heard of before. I always love learning about new films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I recommend all except the one I highlight as being awful ;-)

      Delete
  8. I love this!!! Holy crap. You have such great choices here! Kudos for the presentation, flashy indeed ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was a blast and I loved checking out everyone's posts. All so different and inspired.

      Delete
  9. Really great choices! I love how you set out your list too! We had loads of fun taking part in this I also wanted to drop you a note to let you know how much we love your blog! We run a film/tv blog ourselves and we've added A Fistful of Films to our Blog Roll, hope that's okay!
    - Allie from Flick Chicks
    http://flick-chicks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you. Of course you can add me, and I'll do likewise. I love these things because they have a great way of introducing you to new blogs.

      Delete