Thursday, May 22, 2014

A Fistful of Thoughts...about bitter celebrities, a drunk and some moviegasms!


It's been a while since I put one of these up.  I don't know what has happened to my blog these past two weeks, but apparently I'm getting lazy.  I mean, it's the 22nd of the month and I only have 16 posts (this will be the 17th) and I usually try and keep my post/day number the same.  I'm slipping.

These damn kids.  I'm just so tired!

Well, the truth of the matter is that I've been ingesting so many movies lately (young and old) and just haven't had the time to compile all my thoughts and make time to discuss other things, and then when I get a grip on a slew of things I want to talk about I feel like they are slowly becoming old news.

Cry me a river, right?

Well, to make up for the dip in my 'Thoughts' posts, I'm giving you six things to chew on instead of five.  Consider it a bonus, because I'm awesome.


First up, let's talk about James Franco.  No, I don't mean his Instagram posts or his apparent near-statutory rape.  I'm talking about his obvious distaste with the idea of a sequel to 'Spring Breakers'.  He's pissed, and I actually think he has a point.  There are so many people out there trying to get their hands on a handout, and for them, capitalizing off of someone else's success is a way to achieve that.  Franco is right.  Without the cooperation of the original mind behind this, that being Harmony Korine, this is just a mess waiting to happen.  'Spring Breakers: The Second Coming'.  Are they fucking serious with this?  Some movies should not be repeated, and 'Spring Breakers' is one of those movies.  Leave it where it is.  I do find it funny how Franco groups himself in with Korine ("This is not being done with Harmony Korine or my consent.").  Um, you're the actor...you didn't write or create that shit.


But Franco is obviously completely full of himself at the moment so I should have expected him to see himself as important in this matter.  Still, he speaks (partial) truth.

Next up, Viggo Mortensen kind of shocked me with his take-down of Oscar winning director Peter Jackson.  In fact, Mortensen throws a lot of shade in this interview (don't fucking talk like that about 'The Talented Mr. Ripley', you fuck).  He even attacks Ridley Scott (seriously, shady bitch!) but his remarks about Jackson's 'geeky' nature with regards to CGI is hilarious.  I'm not against an actor (or really anyone) having an opinion, I'm just kind of shocked that he clearly doesn't give a fuck.  Apparently he thinks that the 'Lord of the Rings' movies suffered because Jackson got enough money to basically cum CGI all over the screen.  Now, I haven't seen ANY of these movies (including those Hobbit films) so I can't comment, although I've heard comments from other eluding to the fact that the CGI was a bit much, but really...can you tell this story without the CGI?  

And yes, Viggo...you're right that 'The Lovely Bones' was shit, at least I think that's what you're trying to say.

Oh, have you heard that Channing Tatum is a drunk?  He says he's a high-functioning alcoholic in the latest issue of GQ.  Now, I don't care what anyone does in their personal life, and I love being drunk so I can't judge, but like...was joking about it really the smartest thing to do?  I'm not so sure.  I mean, I could say that he's just adding layers to his cool demeanor, and I'm sure that some people find these kinds of conversations endearing (he's a real person, damn it!), but is it sending the right message?

But the drinking explains a few things...


Oh, and he's Gambit.

OH, OH, OH!  Xavier Dolan is having the time of his life in Cannes!  Yes, his latest film 'Mommy' is getting raves and is the favorite, at the moment, for the Palm D'Or!  I'm so excited.  No, I haven't seen it, but we all know how I feel about 'Laurence Anyways' (you know, one of the top ten films of ALL TIME) and so I'm always excited to see or hear anything Dolan related.  The kid is a modern-day genius and really deserves all the accolades, praise and respect he can garner.  It looks like 'Mommy' is considered his most polished and mature work, and I'm all in at this point.


My body NEEDS this movie!

So, have you heard that the new Batman vs. Superman movie has a name and a logo?  Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence about this whole thing.  I'm thrilled about the Ben Affleck thing, even though I'm kind of the only one, and I'm alright with Snider directing, despite his inability to tone shit down, and I really like the logo, despite some people not being OK with the bat symbol here...but this name has me feeling all sorts of WTF.


I'm confused.  Why is there no 's' in 'vs'?  What the fuck does 'v' mean?  Dawn of Justice?  Why do we feel the need to add taglines to all movies these days?  I just can't with this right now.

So let's talk about The Flintstones.  Apparently Will Ferrell is involved in bringing this new animated movie to the big screen.  I'm not sure how I feel about this right now.  I loved 'LEGO Movie', but if they are trying to reinvent 'The Flintstones' in the same vein as that film, I have a problem.  Modernizing classics is tricky.  The reason that 'LEGO Movie' worked so well is that there really wasn't a precedent.  It was all new and so there was a lot of room to make it their own.  There is a lot of precedent for 'The Flintstones', some good and some bad.  This just feels like a bad idea to me, but I'll reserve my disgust for after I see the movie, since I'm pretty sure my children will drag me to it.

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE Xavier Dolan's movies too but my god, he makes me feel terrible about myself. He's 25 and he's made his 5th movie that may very well win a Palme d'Or *sighs* #whatismylife

    And yes, I don't get why it's "V" and not "Vs" either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate young talented successful people too!

      LOL, but really...I've wasted so many years :'-(

      Delete
  2. "got enough money to basically cum CGI all over the screen." LOL

    I can't believe you haven't seen any of the Lord of the Ring movies. They are master pieces (Not the Hobbit ones, though.) I thought the CGI was only over the top in a few places, but I can't agree more on The Lovely Bones. Jackson fucked that movie up BIG TIME by focusing on the CGI over the story.

    That Batman vs Superman title sucks. It just plain sucks, that's all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I need to see them, but I kind of doubt I ever will...same goes for those Harry Potter movies.

      Delete
  3. I saw The Flinstones in the theaters... what was fucking thinking at the age of 13? It was terrible.

    James Franco is full of himself but he is right about Spring Breakers 2. I ain't going to see that since he nor Harmony Korine are involved.

    I haven't seen anything by Xavier Dolan yet I want to check out his films. Maybe I'll do that for next year as I heard he is now the favorite to win the Palme d'Or.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Flintstones in the theater too! I don't hate it, at least the first one. Parts of it are pretty inspired.

      You NEED to see 'Laurence Anyways'. It's one of my favorite films! Such a brilliant character study, and Dolan just has a spectacular way of staging his scenes to create something so remarkably special.

      Delete
  4. Spring Breakers doesn't need a sequel... at all.

    I'm surprised Mortensen is ripping into those filmmakers. He usually likes to talk about how great David Cronenberg is. :P

    Haha, that Channing Tatum gif!

    Mommy! Yet another highly anticipated film that I've forgotten about. So pumped for that one! Glad that we can call Dolan a Fisti and CinSpec winner!

    I'm anticipating the film, but that new Batman/Superman name and logo isn't very exciting.

    I'll pass on The Flintstones, unless it becomes an Oscar contender for Animated Film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolan is like my favorite thing about movies right now. I also love how articulate he is and how inspiring he is for a kid of 25. His recent comments about how the Palme win would be a win for his Generation and his neutral political comments show he has a real clear head on his shoulders.

      Delete
  5. "movies suffered because Jackson got enough money to basically cum CGI all over the screen. " - oh this is so fucking true for the Hobbit. This film is just boredom with a shitload of CGI. I cannot believe I sat through 2 parts of that. It's not even good CGI!

    As for Lotr...well there were parts they could have cut out and focused on character interactions instead so I can see Viggo's point. He's gorgeous and he has the balls to say it how it is. Good man :)

    Tatum...I think everyone in Hollywood is a functioning alcoholic, though. I have no idea how some of them, those who are in 60 or 70's, are still alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand people who aren't alcoholics. I mean, life is unbearable without being inebriated.

      I'm only partially joking.

      Delete
  6. They are making another Spring Breakers?? Jesus, I haven't even gotten the chance to see the last one...

    I don't have anything against Franco -- there's always gossip and he's a person, too, and people should be allowed to do dumb shit from time to time... but I'm a bit torn after this post. But all I picture when I hear Franco is the hilarious This is the End, so he remains in my good graces.

    Skeptical about The Flintstones, but maybe we're in for a lovely surprise? That would be cool.

    PS -- a post a day?? How??? WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well, I don't mean a post every day but more...I like to have at least the same amount of posts per month as there are days in the month...which means some days I post three or four and others nothing.

      But yeah...it's a lot :-P

      Delete