Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Ten: most iconic movie characters RELAY!


Blogathons are so much fun.  They give our community a chance to come together with different ideas and blend those ideas into a composite post that lets the blogging world get a taste of so much in one blast.  Nostra, over at My Film Views, has put together a special kind of blogathon, a relay race if you will, where the blogosphere can unite in coming up with a composite Top Ten.  This Top Ten is concerning the most iconic characters in film history.

So much pressure!

This relay has already exchanged a few hands.  It all started with Nostra’s initial list, which was altered by Keith and then by Ruth and now, thanks to Ruth, it’ll be altered yet again by me.

Here are the official rules, straight from Nostra’s mouth:

A list of 10 iconic movie characters has been made. That list will be assigned to another blogger who can then change it by removing one character (describing why they think it should not be on the list) and replace it with another one (also with motivation) and hand over the baton to another blogger. Once assigned that blogger will have to put his/her post up within a week. If this is not the case the blogger who assigned it has to reassign it to another blogger. After you have posted your update leave the link in the comments here and I will make sure it gets added to the overview post.

So, before we get to my alterations, here is the list as it stands:











I want to say this first; my very first thought was Han Solo, and then in honor of Alec Guinness I thought of Obi-Wan Kenobi, but really, there are already TWO Star Wars characters on this list, and they are both more iconic (in my eyes at least) and I wasn’t going to remove either of them.  It then boiled down to two, and eventually a certain catchphrase tossing franchise badass one out; but more on him in a minute.

First, who are we going to remove?  This was really hard.  The idea here is to build the most iconic list, and personal preference has to be removed from this because just because you don’t like something or aren’t familiar with something doesn’t mean that it isn’t popular or iconic.  I have not seen any of the ‘Dirty Harry’ movies, but I’m aware that he’s an icon in cinema.  I don’t particularly like ‘Rocky’ the movie, and I refuse to see the sequels, but he’s an icon for sure.  Sadly, looking over this list, the least iconic role is that of a woman and I really wanted to keep her, but I’m knocking off Ellen Ripley, and here’s why.  When I think of Alien, and when most people do, I assume, they think of that alien FIRST.  That image, that face, those mouths…that is the first image one gets when the franchise is mentioned.  Ellen Ripley is a badass and she is a great and iconic character for sure, but is she more iconic than the rest on this list?

I don’t think so.

I really wanted to remove Rocky Balboa so badly (I even chose the image above BECAUSE I wanted to knock him out of this competition) but the more I thought about what this list was supposed to be about, I couldn’t do it.

So, who is taking Ripley’s place?


Yup, yippee-ki-yay-mutha-fucka!  When you think of Bruce Willis (and who doesn’t) you immediately think of his iconic work in the ‘Die Hard’ films, and while pretty much all of them suck outside of the original, he still kicks ass and he’s still awesome!  With the coolest catchphrase in movie history, and the perfect combination of charisma, wit, charm, sex appeal and complete badassery, John McClain is about as iconic as they come!  No matter how hard the shitty movies try, McClain just WON’T DIE!

So there you have it.


I am passing the baton over to a blogger that I’m newly acquainted to, but one who has a marvelously crafted site and one that I’m looking forward to exploring more; Manon, over at The Movie Scrutineer.  Be sure to check out her site and Manon, I look forward to seeing where you take this (and who you toss this to)!

16 comments:

  1. Oh my God. Not Ellen! "Get away from her you bitch!" :P

    If this ever gets to me I'm reinstating her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It honestly hurt me so much to do this! I really would have much rather seen Harry, Balboa or Terminator go...but in terms of what the list called for I just felt like this was the right choice.

      Delete
  2. Hey I love your graphics here Andrew. But no, not Ripley!! Man, I was hoping we'd have at least 3 female icons on this list but now we're down to one again :( I do think McCain is iconic but not sure he's THAT iconic to be in the top 10 though. In any case, nice argument though, even if I disagree :D

    – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now feel so ashamed...and dirty! What have I done? Can I take it all back? Can we just knock out Balboa and call it a day? I really wanted to (god I hate that movie) but in looking at all those names...Ripley's felt the most out of place.

      I don't know what I'm thinking.

      I'm intrigued where this is going to go. I seriously almost put in Han Solo but the idea of three Star Wars characters and two of Ford incarnations felt like overkill.

      My runner-up was Vito Corleone BTW.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I know, I know! It was such a hard choice to make.

      Delete
  4. Shame to see Ripley go! McClane is an interesting character, but I did not even think about him when making the initial list. He is an interesting character, but don't know if I'd call him iconic myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about things like this. I truly find his character iconic because everyone knows about him. You mention Bruce Willis and the first image anyone will have is of John McClain. You mention the words Die and Hard and almost anyone will respond with Yippee-Ki-Yay.

      Delete
  5. Ooohhh... Exciting ^_^ I'm kinda dreading having to pick the one to kick off the list. Thanks for passing this on to me Drew :D I'll post it next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  6. Gah, such a tough call. Awesome choice, though! McClain is a very iconic character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Someone who finally agrees (at least on McClain)!

      Delete
  7. I probably would have kept Ripley over The Tramp, but I certainly have no issue adding John McClain to the list. He is certainly an icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to keep The Tramp for personal reasons (since I love Chaplin) but also because this list was so 70's/80's based and I didn't want to take out the one timeless icon. I mean, The Tramp is from the 20's, and he's still an icon.

      Delete
  8. Interesting decision to take out Ripley for McClane but I'm not one to argue as the character is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them both, but to me Die Hard is all about McClain, while Alien(s) is about the alien first...then Ripley.

      But everyone else disagreed with me pretty severely, actually :-(

      Delete