Tuesday, April 1, 2014

And the Fisti goes to...

Wait...what the FUCK?  Not a single nomination?
So, I'm finally ready to post my personal ballots for the 1981 Fisti Awards.  You can find them here.  This was a really rewarding year for me.  Going in, I had already seen the Oscar nominees (at least in Best Picture) and was impressed, if not a tad underwhelmed.  I actually really like the year's Oscar winner despite the fact that it is not mentioned ANYWHERE on my ballots.  That wasn't intentional at all, but this year was just so rich.  It was like every film I saw was better than the last.  My acting winners are some of my favorite ever, especially in the Lead categories.  This is also the second confirmed Musical win in the Best Picture category!  The previous winner was Les Girls, from 1957.  Have a gander.  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. WOW. I have so much to see! I haven't seen any of your Best Picture nominees yet. :( And I also need to watch films like Mephisto, The Chosen, Ragtime, Modern Romance, Possession, The Woman Next Door, Body Heat, Gallipoli, Excalibur, Time Bandits, An American Werewolf in London and The Long Good Friday (which I'll place in 1980).

    Love the Blind Chance, Blow Out and Raiders mentions. Interesting that you give Sarandon the supporting win. (She's my lead winner right now.)

    Oh, speaking of musicals, I think the only one I give Best Picture is 42nd Street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Sarandon in Lead for a while, where she was in 5th (that category is SO FUCKING STRONG) but I was at a conundrum in Supporting because I didn't want anyone to win, so I demoted her (allowing Turner to get the nom, which she so tackily deserves) and gave her the win. I love her performance SO MUCH, and while I completely buy her in Lead, I think it's grey.

      Or just me playing AMPAS.

      This year is so rich. You need to see all you mention in that paragraph before you post your ballot! So worth it. Brandauer delivers one of the greatest performances ever put to film...EVER.

      Delete