Monday, April 28, 2014

A Fistful of Thoughts...about sputtering westerns, rousing epics and real head scratchers!


So, this is quickly becoming my favorite series here at A Fistful of Films because it gives me a chance to just talk about a ton of stuff that caught my eye over the week, weekend or just yesterday.  I originally intended this to be a once a week type thing, but I'm thinking that this is just going to happen anytime I have five or more stories to weigh in on.

I have five things to talk about!


First, the Cannes lineup has been announced!  Now, I have never been to a film festival, and I'm insanely jealous of everyone who was at Tribeca this past week (seriously, I hate you all) but the King of all festivals, in my eyes, is Cannes.  If I could go to any of them, that would be it.  Next year I hope to get to SXSW (I don't want to jinx it), and so I'll be thrilled to actually get to go to something, but really...I need Cannes in my life.  This jury is insanely awesome.  We've all known that Campion was the jury president, and have known for a while, but the rest of the jury has filled out and it includes everyone from fellow female filmmaker Sophia Coppola, actors Gael Garcia Bernal, Leila Hatami (from A Separation), Jean Do-yeon (who was tremendous in Secret Sunshine, for which she won the 2010 Fisti!) and Willem Dafoe, not to mention directors Nicolas Winding Refn and Jia Zhangke.  Such a varied and talented jury and one that should produce some amazing results.

I just want to be a fly on that wall, so badly!

Next, I've dished on Jane Got a Gun a lot, but have been genuinely getting excited for its release in August, solely for the fact that Joel Edgerton is in it and I'm kind of in love with him.  The fact that this film has now moved to 2015 has me buckled over in laughter.  This whole project has been an absolute mess, with directors and actors leaving, feuding on the set and Twitter wars between the film's screenwriter and his supposed friends.  All in all, it's a hilarious hodgepodge of fuckery and I personally can't wait for this to be released so I can see how all of this on set ridiculousness comes together on the big screen.  


Next up, Russell Crowe posted a beautiful look at his upcoming film The Water Diviner up on his Twitter page over the weekend, and I'm literally spellbound.  This looks incredible, and this behind the scenes look has me so incredibly excited for this film.  


I really want so badly to include this all over my Oscar predictions for May, but I have this horrible feeling that my wishful thinking will jinx this, and with Jolie offering us Unbroken (which is looking really good for Oscar embracing), I just really hesitate to heavily predict two actor/director films.  Still, this looks stunning, and it also looks very Oscary, so you never know.  Crowe is having a banner year so far.  It's about damn time he gets an Oscar welcome back!

Moving from one Oscar winner to another, have you heard that Matthew McConaughey likes to save wild animals from the evil clutches of wayward youths?  Apparently, he rescued a seal that was being poked and prodded by some delinquents.  I find this whole thing kind of hilarious, and pretty cool and while I am not a fan of McConaughey the actor, I have to say that this makes me smile ear to ear and he's gone up in cool points for me.

And lastly, the most shocking news this past week/weekend came in the form of confirmed bachelor George Clooney tossing aside endless sexual interchanges for a wedding band when he proposed to current girlfriend Amal Alamuddin.  I really wonder if this will actually happen, but for now we can talk about it.  I like Clooney, sometimes.  I think he's fake as hell, and so I kind of loathe his off-screen persona, but I do like him as an actor on occasion, especially when he does comedy.  Personally, I think he's extremely good looking too, so he's a complete mixed bag for me (hot douche-bag with uneven acting chops), but this is about his engagement and not my personal feelings on him.  I do find it kind of endearing in a way that he isn't engaged to some model or some actress, and Amal is easily the least attractive of his current (how many now?) girlfriends (she's pretty, but she's not a knockout) but there is something about this that feels so...NOT gonna happen.


What do you think?

12 comments:

  1. I can just picture McConaughey swooping in and saving that baby seal, then giving those kids a total Rust Cohle-like monologue about how there are two kinds of people, bad and good.

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love this story to death. It's so randomly hilarious, but not in that "Ryan Gosling just broke up a fight" ridiculousness...and the fact that the kids didn't even take the opportunity to get pictures with him is the best part. I would have totally been Instagraming that whole thing. Collage. Me poking a seal. Seal barking. McCon yelling. Oh look, we're hugging it out!

      Alright, alright, alright.

      Then I'd steal his fucking Oscar and give it to Leonardo DiCaprio.

      Delete
  2. I wish I was in that jury. That is a jury of awesomeness. Besides, I have my own Cannes-related announcement to make as it pertains to my upcoming Cannes marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what happens at Cannes. One of my goals is to eventually see all the Palme d'Or winners.

    Haha. I want to see Jane Got a Gun even more now.

    The Water Diviner looks like a film that would've nailed 10+ Oscar nominations in the early 80s. Not sure about its chances now, though. I think it comes and goes with little notice. Maybe it's this (or next?) year's Kingdom of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, funny you say that because the whole time I was watching that featurette I was thinking about the 1981 Oscar race, with films like Chariots of Fire and even Gallipoli out that year. It just seems so baity though. Crowe looks great and the film itself looks stunning.

      It's crazy that we have Crowe, Jones and Jolie making films this year, and all three really look very good.

      Delete
  4. Hi Drew! I couldn't care less about Clooney's love life [yawn]. I'm curious about Jane's Got a Gun, I love Edgerton too. Oh and The Water Diviner looks good, hope Crowe delivers! Good thing he starts small for his directing debut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you think Crowe started small. I actually think The Water Diviner looks rather ambitious for a first film, some grand sprawling epic, but it also looks like Crowe has connected with the material and that is always a good thing. He has passion for it.

      Delete
    2. Oh I mean small as in not a big blockbuster like Transcendence or 47 Ronin which had a huge budget for a first time director. I think the ambitious scope is fine so long as he can make it personal somehow.

      Delete
  5. Ah, and I agree with that. This seems like it has a real shot at being an intimate and soulful story and not just a grand epic. Marry the two and you have a pretty amazing film (fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matthew saved a seal? MY HERO!

    Clooney is getting engaged to some lawyer chick....what kind of a lawyer is she? I'm one and I'm swamped - down to 1 movie and 1 GoT episode a week and she is banging him. Life is so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I thought you'd love that seal story!

      Delete