Friday, April 11, 2014

A Fistful of Links...


I just want all of my blogging friends to know that, yes, I do read your blogs.  I love you guys all so much and love this little community that we have created here (truth be told, it was established well before I started this blog, but I'm so privileged to be a part of it) and I think that it is important to let each other know that.  I know that when I first started writing reviews for films, about ten years ago, it was all about me.  I just wanted to write everything down because film really became ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT.  That really hasn't changed.  I think about film about 17 hours of the 24 in the day, and the only reason I don't think about it for 24 consecutive hours is because I have to sleep...but when I wind up awake in the middle of the night with a teething baby or a sick child, I'm usually on the couch watching...a MOVIE!

Anyways, when I first started this journey into the world of movie critique, I didn't even bother with what anyone else had to say.  I just wrote and posted (on Amazon) and then wrote and posted some more.  Then I stumbled onto a little site called AwardsDaily and found their forums and I realized that writing and posting without any sort of conversation, communication, debate...whatever...was just so incomplete.  How can you love something or grow in that love for something unless you talk with other people who love it too?

Those forums are now AwardsWatch, and they also have their own site now (separate from the forums) and they are pretty much my home away from home.

From that forum spurned the desire to have my own blog, a place where I could just talk and talk and talk and hopefully find more people who share my love that I can communicate with on the regular (wow, that was an outdated phrase).  It was a slow start, but this blog has grown and my personal community has grown and I just love you all so much (did I say that already?).  

So, in ode to my fellow bloggers, I have decided to make my Fridays a linktastic day of the week (unless, you know, I'm on vacation) and have 'A Fistful of Links' to close out the end of the week and highlight the posts that have caught my eye and made me think, smile, question or debate over the course of the week.  A number of you already do this, and I have to tell you that receiving a link form you is one of the best feelings I have as a blogger.  I honestly have a very Sally Field moment each and every time.  "You love me...you really love me!"  I tell myself almost every Friday that I'm going to do this and then the day gets away from me and I forget.

DAMN ME!

So, going back to the opening comment, I want you all to know that I do read your posts.  I don't always get the chance to comment, and sometimes I actually forget to even though I have something I really want to say, but I am constantly visiting your blogs and reading through and even going back and seeing where you started from, what you were thinking months ago, because for me getting to know you is what makes blogging and being part of your blogging family so special.  

Now, don't go digging here, since the first few posts on this site are a true embarrassment.

So, enough talking already!  Get to the links!  



Posts That Made Me...

SMILE (because it's just that awesome):

I love celebrating milestones, and Lights Camera Reaction just celebrated a big one!
And So It Begins gives us a look at realistic movie cliches he hasn't personally experienced...have you?
I am just smitten with this piano-themed post from Flixchatter!
The first place I go to discover new sounds is jdbrecords, and this week he doesn't disappoint.
Cinematic Corner talks about Thrones and hands out her own linkage, but really I smiled most because she gave me this:


THINK (about something I wasn't giving much thought to):

Have you ever watched a movie in reverse order?  The Matinee ponders this...
Have any personal goals for your blog?  My Filmviews wants to know what they are.

DEBATE (whether or not I agree):

Serious Film delivers to us his picks for the best working cinematographers.
There are so many actors out there who really deserve better careers...and Film Lovers Paradise shares his feelings on ten of them.
I love personal ballots!  The Cinematic Spectacle shares his personal awards for 1973!  Seriously Josh, name these already!!!
Not sure how she settled on 70, but The Movie Scrutineer has posted her picks for the most essential Sci-Fi films, if you want to consider yourself a connoisseur.
I partook in Fandango Groovers Captain America Blogathon last month, but Perspective of a Writer was late to the party.  His list is still very much worth your eyes!

QUESTION (my personal viewpoint):

Who am I kidding, I'm not questioning shit, but I love that Two Dollar Cinema dares to say something so crazy...
Public Transportation Snob raises a pretty interesting debate on unpaid writers, and then does some linking of his own...

And then we come to my favorite post of the week, which doesn't make me question my viewpoint so much, since we pretty much share the same one.  Mettel Ray breaks down why she loves movies so much, and I have to say I completely get where she is coming from!

So there you have it...fifteen of my favorite posts of the week.  If you aren't on the list, know that it has nothing to do with your posts or your blogs or anything personal, but just that I had to narrow this list down so as not to go...overboard.  I love you all and look forward to linking your blog next week!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks man! I love stopping by and reading your thoughts on film. So glad that your blog is thriving and gaining more followers. :)

    I really *must* name them, but the problem is I feel like I need to catch up on EVERY year first (impossible, I know). I can update my ballots, though I kinda hate to edit officially-named awards picks. Maybe I should name them and put a disclaimer at the bottom of every post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I never alter my posted awards, even when I see something else or change my opinion. It's like a time capsule for me to look at and say "man I was on the money" or "what the hell was I thinking"...

      But really...NAME THEM ;-)

      Delete
    2. Good point, but what if I miss something huge before posting them, like I did with I Am Curious and Celine and Julie Go Boating? I managed to watch Marat/Sade and Onibaba quickly and update my ballot when you mentioned them, but if I have a major blind spot, I'll have to update my ballot. Granted, you see the big stuff before you post yours. :)

      I might actually do a poll on the name, as I can't decide on just one. If I name them, I'll just put a disclaimer on my ballots, instead of posting updated versions in the future. That way, you can just access them all on my Ballots page.

      Delete
    3. That would be cool! Yeah, I try and make sure I see everything of note or interest before posting them, because I like doing the graphics, and altering those is a PAIN. So, I cram as much as I can and see everything I can, whether Netflix, TV, Download, VOD, Amazon or even Youtube and then post them.

      BTW, I just finished up the graphics for the 1995 Fistis and will be posting those sometime next week!

      And I'm totally voting on your poll. Let's name this thing!

      Delete
  2. A Fistful of Links, love it!!

    Thanks for the linkage, Andrew, much appreciated, man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning me! I love these kinds of posts because I find new great movie lovers all the time and everyone has such fascinating perspectives. I have to admit I'm a little like you in that I stalk blogs but don't always comment...in fact I don't comment much at all compared to how much I read. Those same posts you mentioned (smile) were great reads for me too. And Two Dollar Cinema's Frozen post was crazy :) (In a good way.) Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so wrong about that amazing musical Disney wonder, but I love him all the more for it!!!

      LOL.

      Yeah, I guess in answer to My Filmviews' question, my goal for this blog is to openly become a part of everyone elses blogs! So, more commenting is hopefully going to come.

      Delete
  4. Great post man. I've just spent the past hour or so tracking through a lot of the links you shared here. Great stuff all around. And thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So welcome Alex. Glad you were able to check these out! Your post was certainly one of my favorites :-D

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for the link! It's always a pleasure to link your stuff - the fact you get to see so many movies and actually review this many films is admirable. I cannot even remember last time I saw something that wasn't made by HBO :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see nearly as much as I'd like to, but determining to actually review everything keeps me engaged throughout.

      Delete
  6. Yesss......thanks for the link, bruv. Very appreciated. I rolled over on Frozen almost immediately upon seeing it a second time with some girls. Well, if my mom and sister can be called that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone to help change your mind counts!!!

      Delete