Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Yet another reason to love Frozen...


I haven't been shy at all about declaring my love for Frozen to the rooftops.  It has grown so much in my esteem since November, and it is the one film from last year that I have seen more than twice.  In fact, I've seen it ten times, and that's only counting the times where I actually sat down and paid attention to it.  If I counted the amount of times I've seen it from a distance because it was playing in the next room, then the count would probably double.  The thing that touches me so deeply about Frozen is the beautiful way that it builds such a strong spirit of sisterly love and empowerment.  It creates such a strong and warm feeling of love, a selfless love that is not typically found in children's films.  

The fact that my two young daughters have connected to this film on such a deeply personal level (to the point where they have shed literal tears while watching the film) is a bonus, for sure.

Anyways, I love when you can watch a film ten+ times and STILL find some new tidbits, some special detail that you missed the first few (or many) times you saw it.  I continue to pick  up on details each time I watch the film; whether it be conversations had between sidelined characters or, in this case, a special saying that ties two worlds together and adds such a beautiful layer to the story itself.


"The sky's awake..."

When the film opens, young Anna tries to wake up her elder sister by laying on top of her and telling her that since the sky is awake, she's awake and so they must play.  Despite her initial hesitation, this protest from her sister made it impossible for Elsa to resist.

It's no surprise that the first thing they do together is create Olaf.

Now, I don't know why I never noticed this before, but there is a moment in the film while the now grown Anna is on her journey with Sven, Kristoff and Olaf when Olaf is riding on Sven's back, staring up at the Aurora Borealis when he says this very same thing.

"The sky's awake..."

This beautiful moment was such a nice detail to include and really helps complete the portrait already painted of these two sisters.  While there should be no doubt that Elsa has lived in a personal hell in order to protect the ones she loves, the fact that she not only created Olaf, but that she gave him life shows it to a deeper degree.  She was personally unaware of her life giving powers, but they carry significance.  In this scene alone, we see why.  They represent the part of her life that she desires so strongly to get back; her childhood.  Her childhood was taken from her because of some curse she could not control, and in order to protect the one she loved most, she pushed her away.  But there was nothing in the world that Elsa wanted more than to have her sister wake her up in the morning, begging her to play.  Olaf was a representation of Elsa's longing for the past.  Sure, she creates him in this fury of letting it go, and in doing so he was dis-guarded and, as we saw, forgotten by his maker, but he still carried with him the one thing Elsa needed to forget in order to move on; her sister.

Yes, I love this movie (as should everyone).  I have no shame in admitting this.  This beautifully detailed portrait of two sisters and their life lessons is one of Disney's richest films and it is in all these little moments that the film finds so many extra ways to bring it all home.

3 comments:

  1. I really need to watch this. My son brought home a Frozen picture that he had colored at daycare. Apparently it's a big hit there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write-up man! I need to watch this again!

    ReplyDelete