Monday, March 17, 2014

Spin Off Blogathon!


Sati, the most opinionated (and shamelessly so) blogger out there, and possibly my favorite BECAUSE of that (like, for real girl, we don’t agree on practically anything and yet your opinion matters so much to me because it is so honest) is hosting her FIRST BLOGATHON!  I absolutely love the idea of this blogathon too.  The concept is simple; find a character from a film or TV show that was only there for a fleeting moment and yet made such a lasting impression on you that you are DYING to see them get their own feature length film.

I improvised that a tad, for dramatic effect, but you get the point.

When I read this I instantly knew who I was going to choose.  The fact that the second I read ‘characters that were on screen for a few short scenes’ (that is verbatim) this person’s face came to mind made it obvious that there is no other choice, for me at least.  I tried for the better part of last week to think of someone else to choose, but I kept coming back to this one face, this one film, this one character, this ONE PERFORMANCE.

I’ve written on this performance before, back when Ruth over at FlixChatter had her Small Roles…Big Performances blogathon.  Yes, I’m talking about Denis Menochet and his tremendous scene in Inglourious Basterds.


For me, the film would use this scene from Inglourious Basterds as the center of the film, as a mid-way point or catalyst for the rest of the film to build from.  I’d love to see equal parts before and after because there is so much backstory already present in Menochet’s marvelous performance that to waste that would be pointless.  Let me see the buildup.  WHY is Perrier LaPadite helping the Jews?  How did he come into contact Shosanna’s character?  I want to see his personal attachment to these people because it is so obvious that he does not want to give them up.  That will make this scene all the more heartbreaking.  Once we come to this moment, I want the film to them branch off and explore the guilt that LaPadite is left to endure.  I want to wallow in his pain and misery and see how this affects his entire family, his children and eventually I’d love for the film to come full circle and tie in, somehow, with the conclusion of Inglourious Basterds.  Bring us to that tremendous cinematic burning and show us how the flames of revenge meet LaPadite.  Does he hear about Shosanna’s actions?  Is he still alive or has he taken his own life only days before she exacts her revenge? 

Or better yet, does he find himself face to face with Shosanna, and if so is she forgiving to him, understanding his internal plight (thus offering him solace) or is she condemning and heartless?

Seriously Tarantino, get on this!


So Sati, this is what I want.  In fact, I would LOVE THIS SO MUCH!  Menochet is such a tremendous actor, but he needs meatier roles and Tarantino could certainly MAKE him a somebody.  I mean, if it weren’t for Tarantino I wouldn’t know who he was, but honestly he was the first face I saw and the one I remember the strongest.

14 comments:

  1. Great post! I would definitely watch a LaPadite movie, that scene at the beginning of IB was just so memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still my favorite opening scene in a film. Like, it's a short film practically and stands alone as a very intriguing (emotionally and technically) piece of film making.

      Delete
  2. Ah, good job! I was waiting for someone to mention a character from Tarantino's scripts. This is such an intense opening scene and definitely an unforgettable character. Knowing Tarantino the thought of stand alone movie about LaPadite probably crossed his mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really should get into this. He'd flesh this out so wonderfully, I'm sure.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that would've been amazing. Not to mention that one of his daughters was played by Lea Seydoux. That's where I discovered her and I was like... "who is that fine-looking lady?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's funny to see how Lea has become a fresh face over the past two years but we've been seeing that face for a while now and just haven't given it due note.

      Delete
  4. Awesome idea! I want to see that movie too. Actually, that sounds more interesting than Inglourious Basterds, and I dig that film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Maybe I should submit a script!

      Delete
  5. BTW I forgot to write I love your opinion about me, you'd probably faint if you were on twitter. I tweet relentlessly and in much more shameless way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to get on Twitter. Maybe that'll be my goal for this year. Between you, Britt and m. brown, I'd be in twitter heaven!

      Delete
  6. Hey yes I remember your pick for the blogathon I did a while back, I LOVE that you picked him again.

    "WHY is Perrier LaPadite helping the Jews? How did he come into contact Shosanna’s character?" That would make a very interesting prequel, but I doubt QT is interesting in making that. I'd like a more straightforward drama on that approach, not a dark comedy.

    – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe Quentin wouldn't be the best choice for that particular story, and yet the dynamic energy he brought to this one scene could be bottled in an entire film. I'm sure there is some humor that could be utilized.

      Delete
  7. Great choice! And I would totally love to see a prequel where we find out how Shoshanna and her family arrived at his house - it's pretty far out in the middle of the French countryside. Was she a local farming family, was she further in town and they were driven out to the countryside...awesome questions that would make for a compelling movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I loved the film, but that opening scene was BY FAR my favorite part about it.

      Delete