Friday, March 14, 2014

OMG thank you Jesus!


Can we take a few moments to talk about how Marion Cotillard may possibly have the best career in Hollywood right now.  Well, maybe that is misleading, since one of the things that makes her career so wonderful is that it doesn't rest on Hollywood's shoulders.  She's one of those rare cases where an actress has actually carved out a BETTER career for herself post Oscar-win.  I know that that statement sounds odd, since winning an Oscar is supposed to be this great career achievement, but look what it did for Halle Berry, Reese Witherspoon, Charlize Theron and a slew of others who seemed to disappear or become relegated to shitty roles in shitty movies.  Theron has had a resurgence as of late, but her immediate post-Oscar career was messy.

Cotillard took that Oscar and went on to pick great projects, great roles, great directors and only continues to add to that resume.  Since winning in 2007 for her role in La Vie en Rose, she has gone on to work with directors like Michael Mann, Christopher Nolan, Woody Allen, Steven Soderbergh, Rob Marshall and Jacques Audiard.  She has films set to release this year with James Gray and Guillaume Canet and she has films in the works with Justin Kurzel and THE DARDENNE BROTHERS!!!

And that is what we're here to talk about.


These pics were found online this week and I couldn't wait to post them:




Not only this, but now we have a plot for the film, which is entitled Two Days, One Night (Deux jours, une nuit):

Cotillard will play Sandra, who “helped by her husband, has only a weekend to track down her colleagues and convince them to renounce their bonuses so she can keep her job”. 
The film is based on an original screenplay by the Dardenne brothers. 
Belgian actor and long-time Dardennes collaborator Fabrizio Rongione (The Kid with a Bike, Lorna’s Silence, Rosetta) will co-star as Sandra’s husband.

I'm super excited for this.  I love The Dardenne Brothers and I honestly consider Marion Cotillard to be the finest actress working today.  Her range is impeccable and her choice in roles has to be the best in the business right now.  From Batman to sci-fi to Shakespeare to gangster flicks to musicals to biopics to quirky comedies and intense dramatic romances, this girl can do EVERYTHING!

14 comments:

  1. She really is forging a great career for herself! Loved 'The Kid with a Bike', so I'm looking forward to this collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like, her career is one to be in awe of!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh my dear Marion, by far my favorite living actress. She's just the best. In everything. Always. And you're right, the post-Oscar lag can be a very serious thing, but she overcame it with gusto. I love finding other bloggers who appreciate her as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you Alex! She's astonishingly good. It doesn't hurt that she is one of the most beautiful women on the planet as well ;-)

      The whole package...well, except for that she can't interview for shit and winds up looking like an idiot when she tries to hold a conversation or answer a question, but girl can act circles around pretty much everyone in the business right now, and blows almost all of them away in the looks department.

      Delete
  3. Cotillard has had an amazing run after her Oscar win. She's one of my favorite working actress, probably #2 behind Binoche, actually. I'm dying to see Two Days, One Night, even more than Macbeth! I'm thinking we'll have to wait until 2015 for both. Otherwise, she's the frontrunner for my Best Actress win (that'd give her 3 wins). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you give her wins for now? La Vie en Rose and Rust + Bone? I give her the win for the later and I nominate her for both those and for Nine.

      This film is slated for 2014, and it's my early prediction for Best Foreign Language Film so hopefully it'll stay on track and we'll get it this year. Hell, between this, Blood Ties and The Immigrant (I also think that Macbeth will get pushed to 2015) this is looking to be an amazing year for Cotillard, and for her fans!

      Although...I hear that she's kind of awful in Blood Ties :-(

      Delete
    2. I give her wins for La Vie en Rose and Nine, and she's my 2012 runner-up behind Weisz.

      Really? I hope we see it this year, and an Oscar-nominated Dardenne film would be amazing. I don't think The Immigrant will go anywhere after so many delays, but I'd love to see it get some Oscar attention.

      re: Blood Ties :0

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I heard it was mostly an accent thing. But the film is said to be really, really good, but less about the actors (although I heard good things about Saldana).

      Delete
  4. Wait. Have I just discovered that I'm actually illiterate? 'Cause it seems like too many words have been strung together without mentioning how DROP DEAD GORGEOUS this woman is. Maybe I missed it.

    But, to your point....yes, she is a wonderful actress, and I too am looking forward to seeing her in anything. Hopefully she has a incredible 2014 and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well, I've drooled all over her here before, and I did mention her beauty in my reply to Alex's comment. I didn't want to appear redundant.

      But you can see my thoughts on her hotness here:

      http://afistfuloffilms.blogspot.com/2013/09/happy-birthday-marion-cotillard.html

      And I mention them here too:

      http://afistfuloffilms.blogspot.com/2013/02/beauty-is-curse.html

      Delete
  5. This was in my top 10 most anticipated films of the year as I'm a big fan of the Dardenne Brothers and having her in one of their films is a guaranteed win for me. They put my ass in the seat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahah you REALLY do love her eh Andrew? Well I don't blame you, she is absolutely gorgeous and lovely. Guillaume Canet is her husband or partner right? They seem to work together a lot. Haven't seen any by Dardenne Brothers yet but perhaps this one w/ Marion would be my first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should check out their films. L'enfant is probably my favorite, but I recently saw La Promesse and it's astonishingly good.

      Delete