Tuesday, March 18, 2014

In other fairy tale news...


So, nothing is confirmed yet, but it looks like Sophia Coppola could be the one to take the reigns from Joe Wright and direct the live action adaptation of Andersen's The Little Mermaid.  This would be a huge departure from her more intimate work, but then again there is such an intimate tale to be told here, and if they stick to the themes presented (and the tone encompassed) by the original work, this could be so much more than what these big budget fairy tale abominations are proving to be.  The direction this hunt for director is going is giving me faith that this is intended to be more than a CGI spectacle.  Now we just have to sit back and wait for Elle Fanning to be cast in the lead.

8 comments:

  1. Apparently the writer of Shame wrote the first draft of the script. This can be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...that had me more excited than the idea of the scribe from Fifty Shades of Grey giving it a once over. Hopefully Coppola does a rewrite, since I trust her immensely!

      Delete
  2. Being a hardcore fan of Sofia Coppola, I'll admit that I'm baffled in her doing this film because it's so far removed from everything else she's done. Yet, if she gets final cut and the chance to do something with the story. Then I think it would be an amazing film as I know why she wants to do it since she is a mom. I'll just maintain low expectations and have a good time. After all, she puts my ass in the seat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, she sure does, and I have complete faith in her vision!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing! Coppola has such a natural and delightful way about constructing her films that she could do so much with this material.

      Delete
  4. God, I would love for this to play out. Elle in the lead is a GREAT idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean I know that Fanning would seem like an obvious choice, but such a perfect one. When Wright was attached I was really hoping he was going to go with Ronan, which would have also been obvious but so, so perfect.

      Delete