Monday, March 17, 2014

God is in the Movies Blogathon!


It seems like everyone is having a Blogathon these days, and quite frankly I was feeling left out.  If you haven’t taken part in Fandango Groovers’ Captain America Blogathon or Sati’s Spin Off Blogathon, head on over and take care of business.

Then, take get to work on this.

First, I want to clear up something.  This is not intended to spark religious debate.  I don’t want to get into a whole barrage of arguments on whether or not religion is necessary or whether or not the Bible is a truthful account or a storybook or whether or not God exists.  This was merely my way of making my blogathon about Russell Crowe without having to directly make it about Russell Crowe and finding some way to make it all relevant. 

And then again, feel free to debate ALL YOU WANT on your personal post (and I kind of hope you do, because it is in those details that we'll see why you prefer what you prefer)!

The basic idea behind this blogathon came from the recent swell of biblical inspired films.  I mean, at first we heard of Noah, and then Exodus…but then out of nowhere came Man of God and it became clear that 2014 was the year to bring back the biblical epic.  Biblical films were at one time pretty popular, but they’ve all but faded from mainstream cinema, and while faith based films come and go, unless you’re an avid fan of Kirk Cameron’s style of BEAT ME OVER THE HEAD WITH YOUR BELIEFS cinema, you probably don’t watch many of those kinds of films anymore.

So my question is this; how do you like God in your movies?

The concept is simple.  I want you to rack your brains for the film that, to you, defines how the bible (and all of its facets) should be presented in film.  Do you like your scripture presented in a grand, sweeping epic like 1956’s The Ten Commandments?  Do you like your scriptures tampered with, as in Scorsese’s polarizing The Last Temptation of Christ?  Do you want to see an artistic approach to God’s book, like with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?  Or, do you prefer your faith handled in a more provocative and less direct way, as in the many works by Ingmar Bergman?

·         Pick a movie (or style) 
·         Write a post explaining WHY it is your preferred dip into the Bible 
·         Link this post (and use my heavenly header) 
·         Leave your link in the comment section 
·         DEADLINE is March 30th


I will be posting my write up on March 31st and will link all of your posts then.

21 comments:

  1. Ooh, nice idea! I know what I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. But, if it were easy...would it be fun?

      Delete
  3. This is hard. I started working on mine, but there came different factors to consider. I hope I do justice to my answer, and finish it before the deadline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those different factors are the best part of it all! I'm sure you'll finish in time. You have over a week. Can't wait to read it.

      Delete
  4. I don't even have a bible in my house so I don't think I'll join this one. There's a real possibility of me bursting into flames if I ever held one in my hands :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sati, but that would make for such a great vantage point! You really should do this. It's not meant to be for only religious people. Faith is breached in many films. I just want to know what films regarding the subject touch you.

      Think to yourself...what would Matthew McConaughey do?

      ;-)

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm religious. I'm just not Catholic.

      I believe Matt would smoke some weed :)

      Delete
    3. Bahaha...I'm not Catholic either ;-)

      Like...at all.

      Delete
  5. Yeah..so, I'm kind of with Sati, too. Judged on my actions alone, I think people would assume I'm religious. But then I speak...and, yeah...not so much. I'm still willing to give this one a shot...but it's going to be, um, different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think religion or God or whatever beliefs are regarding faith is a really intriguing subject, especially for film, because there are so many varied ideas on what makes the right impact.

      Remember, this is above all else a blogathon about FILM, not religion. It just happens to be a blogathon about films that deal, in one way or another, God.

      Delete
  6. This is really-really interesting. I'll do my best to well, find a film, and then we'll see. :D Would love to take part, though, and even if I don't, I promise to read all the entrys. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andrew! I was actually planning on doing a post about Christ in the Movies for Easter, so yeah I'll participate but it'll be late though, probably sometime in the 2nd week of April. I hope that's ok.

    – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may extend the deadline! The whole point of having one of these is to get participants, so I really want to capitalize on the sudden interest. I may extend this to mid-April, which should give everyone time to work something up. I'll post the amendments tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. I just saw a link on Josh's blog and followed instantly because even though I'm not religious, the actor who plays Jesus in Son of Good is a well-known portuguese actor, so we're all very happy for him. I'm definitely watching it for Easter, along with the mini-series. I'll probably do a post then, like Ruth.

    Anyway, I'll be checking your article on the 31st!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another taker! Yay! I've extended the date to April 17th, so if you think you can have a post up by then, I'll include it on the 18th along with mine.

      Delete
  9. Here's mine. http://perspectiveofawriter.wordpress.com/2014/04/16/god-death-blogathon/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thank you so much for participating.

      Delete
  10. I threw something together!

    http://ramblingfilm.blogspot.com/2014/04/god-is-in-movies-blogathon.html

    ReplyDelete