Monday, March 31, 2014

A Visual Review (and a link or two)


It's only fitting that the first director to ever receive one of my Visual Reviews gets the first extension.  Yes, since participating in the LAMBS Director's Chair back in October of 2012, Visual Reviews have been one of those things this blog is known for, but I have to admit that it's been a while since I've put one together (the last one was Wright, back in October of 2013).  For anyone unfamiliar with what my Visual Reviews are, they are my personal overview of a single director's entire body of work, using images from their films as the only way to review them.  

With Aronofsky's latest film hitting theaters (and causing quite the stir) I felt it only appropriate that Noah receive it's own Visual Review, to make my glance at Aronofsky's filmography complete.

So here it goes:

Noah (2014) anywhere between *** & *****/***** (in other words, I still can't decide what to grade this movie)
Steeped in fantasy...

Cluttered with ideas...

Feels like a modern-day struggle...

Explodes with controversy...

It keeps coming back...

As you can see, I'm still struggling with this one.  You can read my full review here (where I hand this an A after debate) and I have a feeling that this will be the one film I continue to internally struggle with, which is only appropriate considering that the whole film itself was about an internal struggle.

Also, here are three reviews that cover the wide spectrum of reactions to this controversial film.  They also happen to be extremely well written reviews, so they are well worth reading, regardless of your stance on the film itself:

Surrender to the Void loved this...
The Movie Scrutineer is mixed, like myself...
Keith at the Movies was not too fond of this one...

And while we're at it, check out the podcast over at The Matinee, where they debate the film as well!

10 comments:

  1. many thanks for the linkage sir! Like you, I was unsure of where I stood with this film after I first watched it on Thursday night. letting it settle through the weekend was what allowed me to realize that my hang-ups with it, weren't enough to write off all the good things the movie does.

    Re-watching the first act of THE FOUNTAIN last night - the other Aronofsky film I initially dismissed only to later reclaim - underlined my stance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely with you. Halfway through the film I was in awe, then I wanted to leave, then I was glued to the screen. I pulled out of the parking lot convinced that what I saw was kind of terrible but before I even got home I was convinced it was some sort of tortured masterpiece. It's rested with me for a few days and I've debated this with everyone I know.

      This may be the best film of the year for the sheer fact that I think it is the one that EVERYONE will remember, for good or bad reasons.

      Delete
  2. I'm suddenly psyched to see this. Not only because of this post but there are so many different opinions out there! Good work with the visuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a unique film experience. Honestly though, the more I reflect on what Aronofsky has done here the more I consider it a masterpiece...and this has nothing to do with faith or religious agreement, because I disagree with a good 80% of his interpretation of this story.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the linkage although I wouldn't say that I loved it as there were a few flaws in the film but I still enjoyed it. I hope to see it again and see if my opinion holds up as I want to re-watch The Fountain as well as I don't think it grabbed me the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if I misinterpreted you. I guess I was blinded by your use of the word phenomenal. Either way, I'm more than happy to link to your site! I really liked The Fountain the first time I saw it, but it's faded upon subsequent watches. I'm wondering if that will happen to me with Noah.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for the link, Andrew!

    I was struggling with grading this movie as well, I went back and forth on my grade. It's pretty tough as there were so many (technical) aspects that were totally amazing and so many aspects that made it less awesome. Regarding The Fountain, I loved that movie when I saw it when it first came out - it's one of the few movies that ever had me bawling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so flawed and yet what IS great here is possibly greater than anything I've seen in the cinema in a very long time...so deciding where the balance lies it hard to do.

      Delete
  5. I've settled on an A (4.5/5) for now, but that could change. Hope you do another Visual Reviews post soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one planned for Malick, which is like the perfect source, but I'm not sure if his new film is actually coming out this year, and if it is I'm wondering if I should wait...

      Delete