Monday, February 17, 2014

Trailer Break: Unbroken


This looks incredible!  Now, I know that I have not posted my official predictions for the 2014 Oscars yet, and I won't until April, but I'll give you a little preview.  Pencil this in for nearly every category.  I've been bullish on this being the frontrunner for a few months now.  It has a lot going for it (pedigree, biopic, story, studio, release date) and by the looks of it, they'll make good.  I've factored Jolie into the race since the beginning.  While her debut wasn't extraordinary, it was the script that let her down and not her direction, which was actually quite polished.  This is a true story penned by The Coen Brothers.  Seriously, how much better can it get?  O'Connell is a rising star and looks superb here.  Could this be too much to live up to?  Possibly.  My early frontrunner predictions rarely pan out.  Last year I had The Counselor and Rush as the top two, and look what happened.  Granted, the year before I was all over Argo as the early favorite, with Les Miserables as a spoiler, but in 2011 I had The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close as my top two.

I sense a pattern, which means that my top two this year will be high on Oscar's list and one of them will win!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I don't about this. I still need to see Jolie's directorial debut, but this looks like it could end up like The Way Back (a film I love). Will the Academy eat it up? They could, but I'm hesitant. My initial reaction is to predict nods for Deakins and Desplat but nothing else. Then again, it could be a frontrunner. It's hard to tell with biopics. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand the skepticism, but this just feels right to me. I honestly have this pegged for everything.

      Delete