Monday, January 27, 2014

Two pretty great things happened this weekend...


Alfonso Cuaron won the Oscar (well, pretty much) and this brings me so much delight, since he's an amazing director who should have already won the Oscar back in '06 for his stunning directorial achievement in 'Children of Men', and what he does in 'Gravity' is astonishing to say the least.  The real question is whether or not the film itself will dethrone '12 Years a Slave' and 'American Hustle' for the actual Best Picture Oscar.

And then, we had this:


Jonah Hill wants that Oscar!  He won't win it, since Leto has it in the bag, but this was a great showing for DiCaprio, who is peaking at the right moment, and this actually gave me that feeling you get when you start to watch the Oscars and you see a certain actor or actress and you just KNOW that they are going to win.  I just felt it.  I know that McConaughey is in a GREAT position to take the gold on Oscar night, but I have this feeling the tides are shifting and Leo is going to take it home.

10 comments:

  1. That SNL moment has made my week, it is brilliant!
    And I'm so glad for Alfonso Cuaron, he is fully deserving of the award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly! The great thing about him is that other directors, even those in competition with him, seem to be in awe of what he did, and the fact that his direction has become so revered this year further cements his Oscar win...hopefully.

      I'll always be skeptical of the truly deserving actually winning the Oscar thanks to what AMPAS did to David Fincher.

      Delete
  2. That SNL skit was hilarious!

    I think it would be plain wrong for DiCaprio to win the oscar over McConaughey. What are your thought on it?

    I also don't think Leto's the favourite to win the Oscar. I still happen to believe that there's a lot of old Hollywood bias lurking around the Academy corridors, and the role Leto played was quite controversial (and in all honesty, a little overshadowed by McConaughey). I'd like Leto to win, but I truly think Fassbender is the frontrunner. Just my two cents.

    Also, Cuaron so deserves Best Director out of the nominees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen either DBC or WOWS yet, so I can't judge. I just feel like DiCaprio's biggest hurdle was getting the nomination, and now that he has it (and possibly the BAFTA win) the tides will shift to the consensus that he is DUE, and the raves he's received for this performance won't go unnoticed.

      And I honestly don't see anyone beating Leto. Fassbender will get the BAFTA, but he's easily behind Cooper when it comes to Oscar. Leto has won everything. He's as locked up as Blanchett at this point.

      But YAY for Cuaron!!!

      Delete
  3. I loved that SNL moment. I still want Leo to take that Oscar, WOWS was better than DBC and even though McConaughey was awesome, Leo was just better. The only thing that's giving Mc the edge at this point is the physical transformation he went through.

    Also if Leo wins, please let Jonah run up on stage and do this. And Vice Versa if Jonah somehow won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they did this on Oscar night it would really MAKE the ceremony. It would be a moment never forgotten.

      The only thing that would make this better would be if Winslet somehow was able to hand Leo the trophy, but if she were to present this Best Actor Oscar it would only be too obvious who was winning.

      And all the more crushing if he lost.

      Delete
  4. That moment on SNL is so adorable. Especially for the fact that Leo is so game to recreate that moment. He needs to host SNL. The dude is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were awesome! Oscars for Cuaron and Leo would make the ceremony just perfect. Even American Hustle pulling a surprise Best Picture win couldn't ruin my night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my current predictions:

      American Hustle
      Cuaron
      DiCaprio
      ;-)

      Delete