Thursday, January 16, 2014

The 2013 Oscar Nominees


I know that they've been in for a few hours now, but I've been a tad busy this morning and I needed a little time to compose my thoughts.  So, I decided to break these categories down (the ones I predicted) showing how I did on my predictions both yesterday and in April (my first predictions of the year).

My overall score here is 79/107 and in April I was 32/102 (I didn't predict documentary in April).

Here we go:


Best Picture
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
The Wolf of Wall Street

How’d I do?  I got 8 out of 9 here, missing Philomena and predicting Saving Mr. Banks, but I did correctly predict the number of nominees.  In April I only got THREE, predicting American Hustle, Gravity and Nebraska.

Director
Alfonso Cuaron / Gravity
Steve McQueen / 12 Years a Slave
Alexander Payne / Nebraska
David O. Russell / American Hustle
Martin Scorsese / The Wolf of Wall Street

How’d I do?  4 out of 5 (there is a pattern about to emerge here), missing Payne, who I stupidly wrote off.  I really don’t see how Greengrass missed here, but whatever.  The lack of love for Captain Phillips is strange considering it managed a Best Picture nomination.  In April I called 2, correctly predicting Cuaron and Russell.

Adapted Screenplay
12 Years a Slave
Before Midnight
Captain Phillips
Philomena
The Wolf of Wall Street

How’d I do?  I got 5/5 here, but really, wasn’t that expected?  This category was pretty easy to predict.  In April I went 1/5 here, only getting Wolf correct.

Original Screenplay
American Hustle
Blue Jasmine
Dallas Buyers Club
Her
Nebraska

How’d I do?  I got 4/5 here, missing Dallas Buyers Club (although I kind of knew it was going to make it) and predicting the Coen brothers here.  In April I correctly predicted 2 of these (American Hustle & Nebraska).

Supporting Actress
Sally Hawkins / Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Lawrence / American Hustle
Lupita Nyong’o / 12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts / August: Osage County
June Squibb / Nebraska

How’d I do?  I predicted 4 of these correctly, missing Hawkins for Winfrey.  After seeing The Butler, I just didn’t see Winfrey missing, especially after hitting SAG, BFCA and BAFTA.  In April I got none of these, but I correctly predicted two of the films.  I had Adams for American Hustle here, and I had Margo Martindale as the nominee from August: Osage County.

Supporting Actor
Barkhad Abdi / Captain Phillips
Bradley Cooper / American Hustle
Michael Fassbender / 12 Years a Slave
Jonah Hill / The Wolf of Wall Street
Jared Leto / Dallas Buyers Club

How’d I do?  I predicted 4 of these, with bias faith in Gandolfini causing me to predict him over Hill.  In April I only predicted ONE of these, Michael Fassbender.

Lead Actor
Christian Bale / American Hustle
Bruce Dern / Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio / The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor / 12 Years a Slave
Matthew McConaughey / Dallas Buyers Club

How’d I do?  I got 4 of these, considering Bale a real non-threat (I honestly didn’t see that coming) and thinking that Hanks was secure here.  In April I correctly predicted 3, calling DiCaprio, Dern and McConaughey.

Lead Actress:
Amy Adams / American Hustle
Cate Blanchett / Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock / Gravity
Judi Dench / Philomena
Meryl Streep / August: Osage County

How’d I do?  Again, I got 4 correct here, underestimating Streep (although I knew that I should have predicted her, and I almost did) for passion votes to Exarchopoulos.  In April I correctly predicted 3 of these (Bullock, Dench, Streep) and I had Roberts predicted here as well, so I’m going to say 4 (and actually I’m going to say 5 since I predicted Adams in Supporting).  LOL, they are nominees regardless of where they got placed!

Film Editing
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity

How’d I do?  4/5 here yet again.  Who saw Dallas Buyers Club coming?  It really was a top 5 nominee, huh?  Such a weird year.  In April I only predicted American Hustle.  How in the hell did Rush die so swiftly?

Costume Design
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
The Grandmaster
The Great Gatsby
The Invisible Woman

How’d I do?  I only got 3 of these, missing The Grandmaster (did anyone predict that?) and The Invisible Woman (stupid Andrew).  They really hated Saving Mr. Banks.  In April I correctly called 2 of these.

Production Design
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Gravity
The Great Gatsby
Her

How’d I do?  FUCK ME FOR DROPPING HER!  In all honesty though, I would have replaced Gravity with it, so I still would have got 4/5 here.  In April I only guessed The Great Gatsby.

Cinematography
The Grandmaster
Gravity
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska
Prisoners

How’d I do?  Terrible!  I only got 2 of these!  I can’t believe 12 Years a Slave was snubbed here, but Deakins should never be underestimated…and Nebraska is really beloved.  I correctly guessed 2 of these in April as well, and they are the same 2!

Makeup & Hairstyling
Bad Grandpa
Dallas Buyers Club
The Lone Ranger

How’d I do?  I predicted 1, and in April got none…

Visual Effects
Gravity
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Iron Man 3
The Lone Ranger
Star Trek Into Darkness

How’d I do?  4/5 here, missing The Lone Ranger for Pacific Rim.  I got 3 of these in April (Gravity, Hobbit, Star Trek).

Sound Editing
All is Lost
Captain Phillips
Gravity
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Lone Survivor

How’d I do?  I got 3/5 here, and in April I got 1!

Sound Mixing
Captain Phillips
Gravity
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Inside Llewyn Davis
Lone Survivor

How’d I do?  I got 4/5 here, and in April I only got 2.

Score
The Book Thief
Gravity
Her
Philomena
Saving Mr. Banks

How’d I do?  4/5, but who really saw the 12 Years a Slave snub coming?  I should have blind predicted Her, but honestly I never thought AMPAS would go for it.  In April I got one of these (Gravity).

Original Song
Alone Yet Not Alone / Alone Yet Not Alone
Happy / Despicable Me 2
Let it Go / Frozen
The Moon Song / Her
Ordinary Love / Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

How’d I do?  I got 3/5 here, missing Happy and Alone Yet Not Alone (what the fuck is that?).  I got nothing in April.

Animated Film
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Ernest & Celestine
Frozen
The Wind Rises

How’d I do?  In what world does Pixar get snubbed?  Weird!  I went 4/5 here, and in April only got 2.

Foreign Film
The Broken Circle Breakdown
The Great Beauty
The Hunt
The Missing Picture
Omar

How’d I do?  I kick myself for not predicting The Missing Picture like I was going to!  I got 3/5 here, and in April I got nothing!

Documentary
20 Feet from Stardom
The Act of Killing
Cutie and the Boxer
Dirty Wars
The Square

How’d I do?  I cannot believe that both Stories we Tell and Blackfish were snubbed here.  I got 3/5.  I didn’t predict these in April.

6 comments:

  1. I think everyone is still wondering what the fuck Alone But Not Alone is. lol. I like how you compared your predictions with the ones you made in April, that was fun to read. I'm still floored that both Tom Hanks and Blackfish didn't make the cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, have you listened to that song? If you haven't, you should...it's a treasure (and I don't mean that as a good thing).

      Delete
  2. Nice post! I did horribly in most of these categories in April too. I think the best I did was in Best Actor, where I correctly predicted Bale, DiCaprio, Ejiofor and McConaughey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had had your faith in 12 Years from the beginning!

      PS...we should do this again ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'm working on my full list now. I'll email after the Oscars ;-)

      Delete