Friday, January 24, 2014

Life, Love and the Movies


The concept is simple.  Answer the questions.  That, my friends, is the hard part.  Scurry on over to My Filmviews for all the details, and please play along.  Leave it to Nostra to once again hand us a pretty awesome blogathon!


LIFE

1)  What was the first movie you saw in the cinema and what do you remember about that visit?


I honestly don’t know if this is the first, but it is the first that I remember.  ‘Beauty and the Beast’.  I remember going with my whole family and my best friend and her family.  I remember getting a coloring sheet at the theater that had a still from the movie with stuff to find (like a ‘Where’s Waldo’ thing) and I remember singing ‘Be Our Guest’ in the car the whole way home.  I was six.

2)  Are there any movies you have very strong memories of which are not because of the movie (for example something which happened at the time you were watching it)?


There are many movies that I remember seeing in my teenage years that will always be linked to me making out with somebody, but those are like a dime a dozen feelings.  I was watching ‘Absence of Malice’ the day I found out I was going to be a father for the first time, which is a nice memory to have since the film itself was so pedestrian I remember nothing else about it, other than for once in my life being completely uninterested in both Paul Newman and Sally Field.

3)  Which movies had a big impact on you and changed a (small) part of your view on life?



Didn’t ‘Brokeback Mountain’ do that for everyone?

4)  Do you have any comfort movies you return to because you are in a specific mood (for example if you are feeling down/nursing a heartbreak)?


Honestly, when I’m feeling depressed I like to truly soak my sorrows and so I tend to watch something that just further depresses me, but I nurse it all with a beer and I feel better.  ‘Kramer vs. Kramer’ is one of those films.  ‘(500) Days of Summer’ is another one, and then ‘Like Crazy’, which I’ll get to in a minute as well.

5)  If a movie would be made about your life, what type of movie would it be and who would you like to portray you?

This really all depends on what aspect of my life you want to highlight, but I’ve actually thought about this a bit and have written (started to write, continue to prod at) a semi-autobiography that would, in essence, be a complete exaggeration and yet I find that completely appropriate considering the time of my life that I think should be told.  It would be directed by David Fincher (at one point in time I dreamed it would be co-directed by the Scott brothers) and it would star a slew of young up and comers, including a very serious Miley Cyrus in the role of my drug addicted sister who manipulates her family and is beaten by her husband and she’ll win an Oscar for crying on the phone with the actor who portrays me (I’d hope for something like Miles Teller) and the actor who portrays me, despite having BAIT, will most likely be snubbed the Oscar nomination because he would be a teenager, early 20’s at the most.  The film will cover everything from spousal abuse, racism, gang violence, abduction, rape, drug addiction, depression and ultimately vengeance fueled violence and arrest.  I’ll leave it up to you to guess what part of that is exaggerated.

6)  Which existing movie best represents you?



‘Like Crazy’.  Seriously…I cried like hell when I watched that because it feels like my marriage. 

7)  If you knew you would die tomorrow, what would be the last movie you would want to see?


I’d like to sit on the couch and watch ‘Frozen’ with my daughters.

8)  If you can spend your life working in the film industry, what would you be and why?

An actor.  The idea of emoting, living and breathing, through someone detached from yourself or even related to yourself but as an avenue of venting and or healing sounds really great to me.  I mean, ideally I’d write the scripts based off my personal and emotional realities and then act those…and win Oscars for writing and acting and maybe even penning an original song!

LOVE

1) Did you ever have a first kiss with someone while at the cinema and if so, which movie was playing?

I’ve had two.  One was kind of a weird one (some girl who was crushing on me asked me to get a skittle out of her mouth), but the other was actually with my then girlfriend and it was during ‘Sweet November’.  The movie was AWFUL.  The kiss was kind of unexpected and awkward, but sweet I guess.

2)  What is your favorite movie relationship and why?


I kind of love the hell out of Charlotte and Bob from ‘Lost in Translation’.  It just feels so perfect, so human.  That is the kind of relationship that is easy, comforting and nurturing in a way that is hard to come by.  It didn’t have to be romantic, it just had to be.

3)  When did your love for movies start and how has it grown?



I’ve mentioned this before here, but ‘Gladiator’ was really where my love for films and Oscars started.  Watching it I was smitten with Russell Crowe, obviously, but when it went on to win Oscars it opened my eyes to movie watching in a whole new way.  Since then I haven’t missed a ceremony and I’ve seen so many films and explored so many genres that I feel a very rich man!

4)  If you have to choose one film to watch with your loved one, what would it be and why?

‘Out of Africa’, not because I like it or anything but because it is my wife’s favorite film, and watching a film with her that she wholly enjoys would be worth it.

5)  If you can choose one character from a movie to be your significant other who would it be and why?


Elizabeth Bennet from ‘Pride and Prejudice’, and I know that many may question that and say “but she’s a spoiled bitch” or “she’s annoying as fuck” and to them I say…SHE’S PASSIONATE, and passion is sexy.  I’d rather duke it out with someone who had a fire in their eyes than deal with someone who just cried about everything.  Yell it out!  Defy me!  Because, at the end of the day, you know that the makeup sex is going to be AMAZING!

6)  What was the first movie that made you fall in love with film and cinema?


‘Breathless’ by Jean-Luc Godard.  I loved film before then, but then I saw this movie and it changed me.  It changed the way I looked at films and it changed what I considered true ART and it opened my eyes to the world to foreign cinema and I went from Godard to Truffaut to Bergman to Fellini to Renoir to Lang to Kurosawa and I’ve never looked back once.

And Godard is still my ultimate favorite.

7)  How did your passion for movies turn you into a movie blogger?

Honestly, I thought that my personal taste in movies was so much better than everyone else’s that I had to share it with the world.

8)  What is your favorite date from a movie?


The sap in me says the spaghetti scene in ‘Lady and the Tramp’ and the intellectual in me says the entire ‘Before Sunset’ movie (yes, the second one is better), but I’m struggling to make a decision.  Can I just get a picture of Hawke and Delpy slurping spaghetti to make this a whole lot easier?

19 comments:

  1. Aww, why didn't I think of the Lady and the Tramp scene?! Clearly your taste is far superior to mine. lol I like what you said about Lost in Translation, that's so true, that was a great relationship. I loved Like Crazy, but I actually felt so bad for the two they left behind to be with each other. Especially Jennifer Lawrence's character, That was tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, until I saw SLP, Like Crazy was the only Jennifer Lawrence performance that I really loved. She's so perfect in that movie.

      And while I posted the Lady and the Tramp scene, last night I remembered the dancing scene from Titanic and wish that I had posted that. That scene is one of my favorite cinematic moments ever, and that constitutes as a date, right?

      Delete
  2. Great choices here, you picked some of my favourite films haha (Lost in Translation, Gladiator, Like Crazy etc)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart breaks whenever I watch Like Crazy, such a beautiful yet sad film. I have to agree with Brittani, him leaving Jennifer Lawrence's character was heartbreaking. Same goes for what you said about Lost in Translation; you described it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that Like Crazy has an audience, since so many passed it over because it came out a year after Blue Valentine, and the comparisons are easy to make. I love it more as the years have passed.

      UGH, and Lost in Translation works it's way up my 'favorite films of all time' list every time I think about it.

      Delete
  4. Beauty and the Beast is an impressive movie to see at the cinema. Never heard of Absence of Malice, but that is a nice memory to have. Never saw Brokeback Mountain myself. Kramer vs. Kramer is a very moving movie. Never heard of Like Crazy...should be checking it out I guess. Nice choice for movie relationship...should have thought of that one. Gladiator is awesome and it is a nice way to start your love for movies. Love the spaghetti scene, great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually took my daughter to see Beauty and the Beast when the re-released it in 3D and it just confirmed my love for it. It is so gorgeous and expansive and plays so beautifully on the big screen.

      You really need to see Brokeback Mountain.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Kramer vs. Kramer is your comfort movie. It's such a beautiful film, but it frustrates and upsets the hell out of me (so I see how it can further depress you, haha). Hell yeah for Elizabeth Bennet too... Keira Knightley's greatest achievement in my opinion. In my 'Life, Love and the Movies' list, Charlotte and Bob are my second favourite couple, and have my favourite date! Loved your choices :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I guess comfort is the wrong word, but really...I don't have any movie I go to to feel better :-P

      LOVE that you love Elizabeth. She's perfect!

      I need to check out your post now. I refrained from looking at anyone's until I had posted mine.

      Delete
  6. Lots of good stuff, here. I'm especially loving the Lady and the Tramp date. What a great reason to watch Out of Africa, and to remember Absence of Malice. And your biopic sounds like a doozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life from 17-18 was a fucking mess.

      Delete
  7. I remember watching a used rental copy of Gladiator that I bought shortly after it came out. I didn't know about the Oscars then, but I loved it. It's great that a Russell Crowe movie got you started!

    Elizabeth Bennet is a great choice! I'll second that.

    I love that your favorite director changed your view of film. My choice would work like that too, though it'd be Bergman for The Seventh Seal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I knew you'd love the Crowe mention for sure. You need to fill this out!

      Delete
    2. Haha, I'm also way behind on the The Drama Llama's blogathon. I'm slacking!

      Delete
  8. Hi Andrew! Funny but I just read another entry where Gladiator was mentioned as well. I LOVE LOVE that movie. It's such a glorious and beautifully-made film. I hadn't blogged yet when I saw it but I would've given it a 5/5, absolutely perfect.

    Oh I like Elizabeth Bennet from ‘Pride and Prejudice’, both versions too (Jennifer Ehle and Keira Knightley). I think she is s fabulous character, one I'd love to be friends with!

    – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. I refused to read anyone's posts until I was done with mine, and I was surprised how many listed the same movies, scenes and whatnot.

      And I love how many people love my Bennet mention!

      Delete
  9. I love that you would spend part of your last day alive watching Frozen with your daughters. That's really nice.
    I was watching Breathless last year, but I feel asleep. It's been on my list for awhile now. I'll have to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breathless is a great way to experience Godard, but while it was my first experience with him, it is not my favorite film of his. It's a wondering stepping stone, but his later work in the 60's was so much stronger.

      And my girls are my world.

      Delete