Thursday, January 2, 2014

Is it really going to be one of those years?


2013 was an awful year for celebrity deaths.  Gandolfini, Monteith, Farina, Ebert, O'Toole, Fontaine, Walker, Black, Winters...and that's not even all of them!  So, January 1st comes around and we are left in the wake of two deaths; James Avery and Juanita Moore.  Moore was marvelous in 1959's 'Imitation of Life' and she was a true pioneer for African American actors, but if I'm going to be honest, it is Avery that hits me the hardest.  I grew up with him.  He was MY Uncle Phil!  His loss is tragic and it really starts off this year sourly.  He created a legendary character and will never be forgotten.

4 comments:

  1. I hope this year isn't as bad as 2013. I can't take it! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bummed by James Avery's death. Uncle Phil was one of those father figures I grew up with. He was scary at times but also loving and a damn good dancer for a big guy. I'm going to miss those times he threw DJ Jazzy Jeff out of his house. Those were good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's sad to know that there will never be a real reunion show as well, which is something I always wanted to happen.

      Delete