Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Former 'Dream Team' reunite to save a career...


I want to take you back to 1999.  There was this new voice in film, a certain M. Night Shyamalan, who paired up with an action star named Bruce Willis and this young actor no one was taking seriously and went all the way to the Oscars, winning nothing but earning respect.  Then, he came back a year later with the same actor (Willis) and redefined the Superhero movie, delivering a chilling and engaging look at the birth of a hero in 'Unbreakable'.

Then he became a hack.

Yes, we don't talk about M. Night Shyamalan much here because he's become a serious joke.  I can't think of a single director who started with so much promise and potential and squandered it so quickly so as to become a literal laughing stock.  His name isn't even a selling point anymore, and as was seen with the advertisements for his latest bomb, 'After Earth', his name is purposefully hidden from the audience so as not to deter them from actually seeing the movie.  I think that Shyamalan knows that his time is up, to the point where he's calling on an old friend to save whatever is left of his career.

So that brings us to 'Labor of Love', a film that is currently in the works, directed by Shyamalan and staring Bruce Willis.  The premise sounds unlike anything Shyamalan has tacked his name to, and the fact that he wrote it pre-Sixth Sense has me hoping that this is actually good.  Willis will play a widower who feels ashamed he never expressed his love fully for his wife and so he sets off to 'walk across the country' for her, taking the trek from Philly to California.  

I've expressed my love for Willis here before, and I am all for him getting an Oscar vehicle, and this sounds VERY baity.  The only issue for me is Shyamalan's track record as of late.  Like I said, he's a joke.  But, this sounds promising, and he is a talented director (my issues have always lied in his terrible screenplays, post-Unbreakable) so I wonder if this could be a return to form for the man.

What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. A movie about Bruce Willis doing a walk across the country by M. Night Shyamalan... no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, and this seems to be the consensus, and it probably should have been my reaction as well.

      Call me an optimist...or just plain stupid.

      Delete
  2. People say that Unbreakable is where the train left the tracks.. but I'm the one guy who absolutely loves The Lady in the Water. Signs, too.

    I'm always willing to give this dude another chance. Why not? Sure he's striking out left and right, but he's got another home run in him, I'm sure. And if not, the shitty review will write itself.

    Win. Win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes! WIN WIN! He either gets back to being awesome, or my blog benefits from a funny as ass review. I like my chances.

      Delete
  3. Oscar loves a comeback! I really hope this is good, as I'm a Shyamalan fan pre-The Last Airbender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this becomes some unexpected Oscar contender and Willis gains traction, I am going to be a crazed fanboy for sure. It won't be pretty.

      Delete