Wednesday, January 8, 2014

BAFTA Nominations are in!


Best Picture
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Philomena

REACTION:  This is what I expected to see this morning.  No surprises here.  All five of these films could repeat with Oscar, although Philomena is obviously at the bottom of this totem pole.

Outstanding British Film
Gravity
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Rush
Saving Mr. Banks
The Selfish Giant

REACTION:  I just wonder if this means Gravity is taking this and 12 Years a Slave taking film, since they didn't even bother to nominate 12 Years a Slave here, and isn't that British?

Director
Alfonso Cuaron/Gravity
Paul Greengrass/Captain Phillips
Steve McQueen/12 Years a Slave
David O. Russell/American Hustle
Martin Scorsese/The Wolf of Wall Street

REACTION:  These matched up with DGA, while I personally was expecting to see Jonze here.  Does this mean Jonze is dead?  Scorsese is blazing a trail to the Oscars, but I wonder if he gets the shaft for Jonze in the end.


Original Screenplay
American Hustle
Blue Jasmine
Gravity
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska

REACTION:  They really loved Gravity.  I'm assuming that Dallas Buyers Club and Her were not eligible (damn you undisclosed long lists) and  my last minute hunch to predict Rush did not pay off.

Adapted Screenplay
12 Years a Slave
Behind the Candelabra
Captain Phillips
Philomena
The Wolf of Wall Street

REACTION:  I deliberately refused to predict anything for Behind the Candelabra because I assumed that the BAFTAs would try and predict the Oscars.  That was stupid.  They also snubbed Before Midnight, which is shocking; and they really loved The Wolf of Wall Street (man, is it gaining traction at the right time).

Lead Actor
Christian Bale/American Hustle
Bruce Dern/Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio/The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor/12 Years a Slave
Tom Hanks/Captain Phillips

REACTION:  Redford is officially dead and Bale and DiCaprio are battling it out for that final spot.  Dern is alive and well and Ejiofor is taking this in a cake walk.  BUT, if DiCaprio wins this (which he could) then look out for him to repeat with Oscar.

Lead Actress
Amy Adams/American Hustle
Cate Blanchett/Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock/Gravity
Judi Dench/Philomena
Emma Thompson/Saving Mr. Banks

REACTION:  I predicted no Streep for Amy Adams, and I knew that Thompson was going to snag this even if she misses with Oscar, but I really thought that Adele Exarchopoulos was making it in here (at the expense of Bullock).  I know, it was a risky prediction that DID NOT pay off, and I guess I need to accept the fact that Adele just isn't happening.

Supporting Actor
Barkhad Abdi/Captain Phillips
Daniel Bruhl/Rush
Bradley Cooper/American Hustle
Matt Damon/Behind the Candelabra
Michael Fassbender/12 Years a Slave

REACTION:  So, with Leto out the only real question is...can Michael Fassbender win?

Supporting Actress
Sally Hawkins/Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Lawrence/American Hustle
Lupito Nyong'o/12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts/August: Osage County
Oprah Winfrey/Lee Daniels' The Butler

REACTION:  Hawkins gets a needed resurrection, but I wonder if this is too little too late.  I mean, Squibb is pretty much a LOCK and she's who Hawkins replaced here, so does it mean anything?  I don't think so.

Foreign Film
The Act of Killing
Blue is the Warmest Color
The Great Beauty
Metro Manila
Wadjda

REACTION:  My gut tells me that Blue is the Warmest Color won itself another award, but the BIFAs loved Metro Manila, so I wonder if that could sneak off with a win here.

Documentary
The Act of Killing
The Armstrong Lie
Blackfish
Tim's Vermeer
We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks

REACTION:  It's between The Act of Killing and Blackfish, and I think that is where the Oscar lies as well.

Animated Film
Despicable Me 2
Frozen
Monsters University

REACTION:  With The Wind Rises missing here and with the Globes (not eligible) I really think that Frozen is sealing up its Oscar win despite The Wind Rises cleaning up with critics.

Cinematography
12 Years a Slave
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska

Editing
12 Years a Slave
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Rush
The Wolf of Wall Street

Production Design
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Behind the Candelabra
Gravity
The Great Gatsby

Costume Design
American Hustle
Behind the Candelabra
The Great Gatsby
The Invisible Woman
Saving  Mr. Banks

Make-Up & Hair
American Hustle
Behind the Candelabra
Lee Daniels' The Butler
The Great Gatsby
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Score
12 Years a Slave
The Book Thief
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Saving Mr. Banks

Sound
All is Lost
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Inside Llewyn Davis
Rush

Special Visual Effects
Gravity
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Iron Man 3
Pacific Rim
Star Trek into Darkness

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what the qualifications are to be nominated for BAFTA but I'm bummed not seeing Spike Jonze nor Joaquin Phoenix getting a nod for HER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a few days ago that Her's UK release date was pushed back to sometime this year, so it may have been deemed ineligible.

      Delete
  2. Her and Dallas Buyers Club were eligible, apparently. They must not have seen them in time. :/

    I really hope Fassbender wins (just bumped Gyllenhaal back to lead, so I could throw him back into my supporting lineup - picking 5 is too hard!). Leo winning would be AMAZING. Please let this happen!

    ReplyDelete