Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013: A Year in Retrospect


I know I'm a day late, but yesterday I was hung over and there was no way I was going to actually try and compose a complete post.  But, today is close enough to New Years to say "HAPPY NEW YEAR" and take a few moments to reflect on how crazy exciting 2013 was.  On a personal level, it was one of the single best years of my life (honestly) but also from a blogging perspective.  This was a great year here at A Fistful of Films and so I just wanted to take this time to reflect on some of my favorite posts of 2013.  Consider this a 'in case you missed it' type post.


JANUARY:
While there was a lot of awards talk right out of the gate, early in the month I posed a question with regards to actors who have retired and which ones we'd want to see come back to the big screen (and what roles we'd love to see them tackle).

Shortly thereafter, we got the shock of the new decade with the Oscar snub of Ben Affleck.  Seriously, this still makes absolutely no sense.  Things only continued to get more and more baffling as he started winning EVERYTHING, including the DGA and the BAFTA.

Self explanatory.

We can close out this month with this hilarious video that made Anne Hathaway's deserved Oscar slaughter all the more interesting, exciting and memorable.

FEBRUARY:
On February first I posted the first post in my year long series, A Fistful of Reads.  Every month (through October, where the movie glut became too much and my reading slipped) I posted my collective readings of the month.  My goal was 30 books and I came up short by ONE!  I know, that is so lame.  I actually tried to cram in a final book last month but life was so busy I couldn't do it.  Oh well, there is always this year!

I'm not shy about admitting that I don't get Jodie Foster, and here is proof of that.

So Valentine's Day came and went and IMDB posted some ridiculous list of un-romantic movies that they found romantic and so I fired back with my review of one of my favorite films!

MARCH:
The legend turned 80 this past March.  Here is a personal Top Ten of his work

So, I rip McCon a new one in this compilation of my thoughts on his four performances from 2012.

In March I decided to expand on an idea I had expressed back in 2011 when reviewing Darren Aronofsky's work for a blogathon.  Visual Reviews have since become a thing here at A Fistful of Films, and while I really wanted to close out the year with one in particular (it'll come this month) here is a link to all of the ones I posted over the year.

I also saw my first 2013 film in March (The Croods) and so I set up my review page and have since reviewed every film I've seen this year and attached links to this page.

APRIL:
So, for Bubbawheat's Comic Strip Double Dip blogathon I decided to review Scarlett Johansson's bookends in the comic world and I did so as a way to mourn her promise as an actress.  How was I supposed to know that 2013 was going to be her return to form and actually be one of the greatest years she's ever had as an actress?  

And by God, I mean Russell Crowe, of course.

Yes, April brought A Fistful of Films it's first Oscar predictions of the season, and as an added bonus we teamed up with Josh over at The Cinematic Spectacle for some dual predictions.  It'll be interesting to look these over again once the Oscar nominees are officially in.  Oh how I kick myself for believing in The Counselor!

I mean, what better way to close out the month than to compare these two friends for entirely superficial reasons?

MAY:
Taking a look back at 2012 and the five moments that made me bawl like a baby.

Awards start coming with Cannes announcing their winners and Bruce Dern gets a surprising jump on the competition.  

JUNE:
June kicked off Nostra's 5 Obstructions blogathon, which was a total blast!  Here is a link to all five of those posts.

Sometimes a story comes around that just shouldn't be put to film.  Those stories are unfilmable.  Sometimes a story is considered unfilmable and yet it actually works on the big screen.  Here we discussed a few projects and did...or didn't work.

Fandango Groovers gave us all a mission...put together a movie mixtape with a theme and I have to say, this was so much fun to do!

I don't even want to talk about this.

I know that my opinion is not always the popular one, but I'm not one who is going to pretend to think something I don't.  Al Pacino had his heyday.  That was nearly 40 years ago.  Can we all just move on?

JULY:
Self explanatory

AUGUST:
In August I started flirting with a series where I would watch movies that carry a common thread for the first full week of the month and review one per day.  I did this for a few months before dropping the ball and moving on.  I'm thinking about bringing this back in 2014, just not for every month.

With the wrap up of my 1988 Fisti Awards, I decided to take a look at the world of category fraud and see what it is that we consider Supporting or Lead.

SEPTEMBER:
Or at least we thought he did for about half a day.

Oscar nominee Behn Zeitlin announces the plot for his next film, and the rest of the world scratches their heads.

The results were in and the Awards Race started to heat up!

We answers Pivots questions from Inside the Actor's Studio, and the rest of the blogging world does the same!

OCTOBER:
Sometimes an actor comes into a film, does one scene and in the process drops the gauntlet and dares the rest of the film's cast to do better...and they don't.  Here we celebrate Orson Welles' one scene contribution of 'Moby Dick'!

Seriously, this was pretty awesome.

Awards Season officially kicked off and I decided to compile all the wins and nominations in order to make prognosticating somewhat easier.  It's not easier, but this is pretty cool to look at!

NOVEMBER:
Mettel Ray starts a pretty cool blogathon where we pair conflicting emotions and give scenes from films that define those emotions for us.  Here is a link to all of my entries.

Once again, he opens his mouth and ruins his reputation, this time attacking Kubrick.

Continuing the trend, Clooney opens his mouth and attacks Russell Crowe, and we all know that that does not fly here!

DECEMBER:
I make my final selections for the 2014 Blind Spot Series, and I couldn't be more excited to get started!

And he's right!

Self explanatory

And the last post of the year comes in the form of this pretty cool Movie Alphabet started by The Drama Llama.  It was a blast to compile and served as the best way to cap off a pretty awesome year here at A Fistful of Films!

So there you have it.  A complete year in the life of a blog, my blog, and I really enjoyed sharing this year with all of you.  Let's have an awesome 2014!  I hope you have fun looking through some of these moments that you may have missed and I look forward to seeing any new comments that pop up because of it.

4 comments:

  1. seemed like a great year for you Fisti! Here's hoping for a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty great! Thanks and I can't wait to explore your blog more this year as well.

      Delete
  2. Awesome round-up man! Here's to an even better 2014!

    Ha, I believed in The Counselor just as much as you did. ;)

    ReplyDelete